RVT between heads and rocker boxes

MIbowhunter

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've looked over the forum and didn't really see the question i'm looking for so forgive me if it was brought up before. I have an 2005 6.0L and I had my diesel mechanic (not dealership!!) change out the injectors. He pointed out that there was what appears to be grey "RTV" between the heads and the rockerbox. The heads are fairly new and were already installed on the truck when I bought it. He showed me where there is a very small oil leak in the seam. He stated he thought he seen a few drops of coolant on the backside of the head??? My question is anybody ever used "RTV" type sealant on the headgasket between the rockerbox?? Thoughts? solutions?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I have pulled several apart from not so reputable shops that had silicone between the rocker boxes and head, I dont know why, there is a gasket that goes there, and I havent seen too many leak.

As for the coolant, it is most likely coming from a hose, I have yet to see a 6.0 leak coolant externally from a head gasket. Unless whoever put the heads on completely ****ed up... But that would still take quite a bit to do, like almost trying to see how bad they could do it amount of work to have that happen...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

MIbowhunter

Reaction score
Thx,,, to add do it on the "completely ****ed it up" part, when we pulled the injectors, the driver side had newer hold downs and the left side had older ones?? So i'm wondering (fearing!!) whomever was in here installing these heads might have completely ****ed it up???

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately sounds like a real winner worked on it...

MIbowhunter

Reaction score
So.. not having a lot of knowledge (compared to diesel mechanic).. is this something that is going to cause me headaches in the future? i.e. complete teardown of the heads, etc.?

MIbowhunter

Reaction score
cant tell, only seen the "RTV" type silicone. were apparently the oil is ever so slowly seeping out. I for see problems in the future?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Id probably pull it apart and make sure its done right. Probably change the lifters out while youre in there...

TooManyToys

Reaction score
In Diesel Tech Ron's video "Ford 6.0 Powerstroke head gaskets tips and pointers" at 7:05 he mentions that after a couple of comebacks for oil leaks between the rocker box and head he started to put RTV in addition to the OE seal to try to prevent the leaks since repairing that requires another full head gasket job.

That doesn't mean that a mechanic either didn't try to repair a damaged gasket or replace it altogether.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I’ve definitely put fords grey very lightly over used and new rocker box gaskets. IMO, it can help with any small imperfections on the head side itself.

That gasket has zero to do with Hg seal itself. One of the first things I would do is look for the use of oem parts on the rest of it.

It’s not always, but usually is a solid solid sign someone has been into 6.0s before and was trying to do the job right.

TooManyToys

Reaction score
Thx,,, to add do it on the "completely ****ed it up" part, when we pulled the injectors, the driver side had newer hold downs and the left side had older ones?? So i'm wondering (fearing!!) whomever was in here installing these heads might have completely ****ed it up???

It could be that the pass head was fine or passed with some machining work, but the drivers side needed replacement and I believe the only thing that's been coming through the Ford parts side has been the 20mm heads with the new hold downs.

MIbowhunter

Reaction score
holds downs we found after one unseated hour after it was done. so new holds were installed, all good now. i guess thats what im trying to determine if this is a “tip” from experienced build and knew to put rtv on or someone that didnt know what the hell they were doing?? besides being bothersome, i wonder if the small oil seeping out in between the head and rocker box will cause an issue down the road?? i err to the better more knowledgable 6.0 guys here

MIbowhunter

Reaction score
i should add that the rtv was’nt added to the outside to try and stop the leak. it was added as part of the install and from the oil leaking and inspecting further, you can see where some of the rtv pushed out when the heads were put back on.