Disable the Door Chime

GCncsuHD

Reaction score
I was bored working in the shop the other night, and the door dinging was getting really annoying while I was listening to the radio with the door open, so I installed a DPST switch to disable the chime when I would like. I tapped into the black and pink wire coming from the ignition switch, and the black and yellow wire coming from the drivers door ajar sensor. The headlight warning chime still works like normal.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
That is a great idea! I can't stand the door chime. So all I have to do is put a switch between those two wire? I might have to try this.

96F350KID

Reaction score
If you just cut the black wire with pink tracer it won't hurt anything else no need for a switch. And the lights on part will still work.

GCncsuHD

Reaction score
If you just cut the black wire with pink tracer it won't hurt anything else no need for a switch. And the lights on part will still work.

Wrong. If you cut only that wire, your door won't ding with the door open key in, but if you turn in to accessory it will ding while you try to listen to your radio with the door open. And no you don't "need" the switch, but I used the switch so that I can return it to normal operation when I do not need the function. Also you will want to have a switch on the black/yellow wire, otherwise your interior lights won't come on. It's handy as well since when you cut the switch off, it will keep your interior light off with the door open, not a big deal though since it cuts off after several minutes anyway. I had read elsewhere that cutting only that wire would work, and tried it first, but it only got rid of the chime as a result of the key in the switch, not the chime when the door is open while on ACC. Although I have read in some instances certain years will get you the desired result with only cutting the black/pink wire, but that was not the case for my 2000.

Last edited:

GCncsuHD

Reaction score
A diagram would be nice :)

Not much too it. I recommend you meter/test the wires like I did before cutting to be absolutely sure they haven't changed from year to year. This is what worked for my 2000. I added some extra lengths of wire to extend the switch down to where I mounted it, below the knee bolster, there is a hole already there in a nice spot that I simply slightly enlarged to fit the switch.

CHIME.png

Bartman

Reaction score
Not much too it. I recommend you meter/test the wires like I did before cutting to be absolutely sure they haven't changed from year to year. This is what worked for my 2000. I added some extra lengths of wire to extend the switch down to where I mounted it, below the knee bolster, there is a hole already there in a nice spot that I simply slightly enlarged to fit the switch.

CHIME.png

Thanks! I will meter to be sure, but with my truck being a 2000, the colors should be on the $.

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
I just pulled the cylinder and put a piece of tape on the contact so I didn't have to cut any wires and is 100% reversible, been like that for over 5 years. I need to find a way to disable the headlight dinger now.

GCncsuHD

Reaction score
I just pulled the cylinder and put a piece of tape on the contact so I didn't have to cut any wires and is 100% reversible, been like that for over 5 years. I need to find a way to disable the headlight dinger now.
I have seen that method as well, but again, at least for this model truck, it would still chime with the door open when the key is on accessory.
What switch did you use and where'd u get it?

Just a DPDT switch from radio shack. A DPST switch would work as well, but they didn't have any when I looked.

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
I've got a 2000 as well and the 'key in ignition switch' chime is completely disabled. maybe there is a difference from early/late 2000.

GCncsuHD

Reaction score
I've got a 2000 as well and the 'key in ignition switch' chime is completely disabled. maybe there is a difference from early/late 2000.

Yea, that disables the "key in ignition switch", but not the chime when the door is open and you listen to the radio with the key on accessory. Like I said I had read that worked for some people as well, I tried that first with just the black/pink wire (wire that leads from the contact switch you describe). That stopped the chime with the key in ign/door open, but not the door open/acc. That is why I did the additional wire.

pnokesjr

Reaction score
I was looking to stop the dinger from dinging also, when I removed the cowling around the bottom of the ignition and when I slide it down, the black wire with the pink stripe came down from the ignition with a black collar with I metal tab attached. when the tab is touched to the steering column it dings and when it free it does not. so I just zip tied it out of the way.
I have an 2002 f 250 super duty does this black wire with pink stripe and collar serve any other function than dinging the door dinger?
Any help will help thanks members for your help.

Latest posts

Members online