Borg Warner S362SXE

Reaction score
Been toying with the idea of ditching my powermax and going non-VGT...

Anybody running a 362SXE and have some input? Was gonna gonna go with a .83 exhaust housing as well in hopes for some quicker spool. Would probably end up going with Maryland’s T4 kit as well.

Mods to the truck are as follows : Regulated fuel return w/ Fuelab regulator, 58V FICM w/ IDP tune, ******** Tuning, stock injectors (most likely will stay that way, maybe go with 155/30s one day), S&B CAI, 4” TB exhaust, studs, egr ****** etc etc

Extended Power

Reaction score
If you have stock injectors, or close to stock...stay away from the 73mm turbine wheel, and T4 housings.
I think the 62mm turbo has the 68mm turbine wheel, which I think is damn near perfect.
You could look for a gated turbine housing in T3, which would really help spool up quick.

The gated T3 housings are not cheap, but will spool up the quickest.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Here is a comparision of a tall port T3 gasket, and a T4 gasket.
bnON1TB.jpg

This is a tall port T3 inlet gasket:

UKylp48.jpg

This is a T4 gasket on top of the T3:

NZ7TmmD.jpg

Just so you know, there are some very small port T4 turbine housings out there.

Zeb

Reaction score
Been toying with the idea of ditching my powermax and going non-VGT...

Anybody running a 362SXE and have some input? Was gonna gonna go with a .83 exhaust housing as well in hopes for some quicker spool. Would probably end up going with Maryland’s T4 kit as well.

Mods to the truck are as follows : Regulated fuel return w/ Fuelab regulator, 58V FICM w/ IDP tune, ******** Tuning, stock injectors (most likely will stay that way, maybe go with 155/30s one day), S&B CAI, 4” TB exhaust, studs, egr ****** etc etc

I’m running an SXE 62/68/.83 on an Irate T4 on an 06 F450. 33” tires, 4.30 gears, 155/stock injectors, and a Tow tune.
This truck tows heavy all the time. Rarely under 30,000lbs gross, and as high as 45,000lbs gross.
Keep it above 2,000 rpm and it is awesome. No way I’d go back to fighting with egt’s like I did with the stock turbo, and an 03 turbo.
40 psi on a hard pull, and rarely above 1,300* on the pyro. It will get hot ( on the pyro) if you lug it. Like I said, keep the rpm up a little, and it’ll just pull.

Zeb

Reaction score
It's a lot easier for you to keep the rpm up over 2000, you have 4.30:1 gears.

This is true.
I should have specified that the only time I have to watch rpm is when I’m loaded.
I’m 16,000 lbs with the truck and empty trailer. I occasionally have to bump it out of overdrive then. If I ever drive just the truck, it’s put it in gear and drive. Just the truck weighs about 9,000lbs.

Reaction score
Here is a comparision of a tall port T3 gasket, and a T4 gasket.
bnON1TB.jpg

This is a tall port T3 inlet gasket:

UKylp48.jpg

This is a T4 gasket on top of the T3:

NZ7TmmD.jpg

Just so you know, there are some very small port T4 turbine housings out there.

Awesome thanks for the input. Ill definitely have to look into that. A 60mm charger also crossed my mind.. but I feel a 62mm would be better if I ever did decide to go with some bigger injectors.

Reaction score
I’m running an SXE 62/68/.83 on an Irate T4 on an 06 F450. 33” tires, 4.30 gears, 155/stock injectors, and a Tow tune.
This truck tows heavy all the time. Rarely under 30,000lbs gross, and as high as 45,000lbs gross.
Keep it above 2,000 rpm and it is awesome. No way I’d go back to fighting with egt’s like I did with the stock turbo, and an 03 turbo.
40 psi on a hard pull, and rarely above 1,300* on the pyro. It will get hot ( on the pyro) if you lug it. Like I said, keep the rpm up a little, and it’ll just pull.

How was the Irate kit to install? Ive also been looking at Smedings T4 kit.. only $1275 all together w/ the 362. Then all id have to get is the .83 housing. Although everyone ive talked to says the .91 that it comes with is just fine, but would rather be safe than sorry?

Zeb

Reaction score
I’ve used probably a dozen Irate T-4’s, and no one else’s, so I can’t comment on any other brands.
I like Irate, but the oil drain can be a bit of a pain to line up.
That 450 was the last one I installed, and it took me 2hrs 15 minutes from when I pulled the truck into the shop with the stock turbo till I backed it out with the T-4 and 362 on it.
What everyone calls the 362 is actually a 361.5.
I would definitely run the .83 turbine housing over the .91 with your injectors. I run the 68mm turbine and .83 housing all the way up to a 64.5 and 205/30’s on stuff that’s daily driven.
362/68 supercore part number is 13009097056
.83 turbine housing part number is 178313.
This setup will work with your stock intercooler boot, intercooler pipe, and intake. I’ve wrestled with a few aftermarket downpipes, but the flange and factory clamp will connect to the turbine outlet with no modifications.

Reaction score
I’ve used probably a dozen Irate T-4’s, and no one else’s, so I can’t comment on any other brands.
I like Irate, but the oil drain can be a bit of a pain to line up.
That 450 was the last one I installed, and it took me 2hrs 15 minutes from when I pulled the truck into the shop with the stock turbo till I backed it out with the T-4 and 362 on it.
What everyone calls the 362 is actually a 361.5.
I would definitely run the .83 turbine housing over the .91 with your injectors. I run the 68mm turbine and .83 housing all the way up to a 64.5 and 205/30’s on stuff that’s daily driven.
362/68 supercore part number is 13009097056
.83 turbine housing part number is 178313.
This setup will work with your stock intercooler boot, intercooler pipe, and intake. I’ve wrestled with a few aftermarket downpipes, but the flange and factory clamp will connect to the turbine outlet with no modifications.

Awesome thanks for the info I appreciate it. I’m definitely going to go with the .83 turbine hosing. Hoping I don’t lose too too much bottom end.

Probably going to go with the Smeding Kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeb

Reaction score
I would be careful about buying from Smeding. They are notorious for copying other people’s stuff, and selling Chinese turbos. I’d be very surprised if it is a genuine Borg Warner SXE if they are selling the turbo and T-4 kit together for that price.

Reaction score
I would be careful about buying from Smeding. They are notorious for copying other people’s stuff, and selling Chinese turbos. I’d be very surprised if it is a genuine Borg Warner SXE if they are selling the turbo and T-4 kit together for that price.

Yes I was actually skeptical about that as well... thanks for the heads up. Seems super cheap for a T4 kit and a turbo. $1275 total..

I will look into it.

Reaction score

Talked to Smeding and you’re correct they don’t use Borg Warner’s, they have their own turbos I guess. Good call and thanks for the heads up. Definitely want to go with a Borg Warner SXE so that would have been an unpleasant surprise lol.

Zeb

Reaction score
Glad you checked into it.
I get pretty good prices on stuff, and didn’t think there was anyway that they could be getting THAT much better pricing to allow them to sell genuine stuff that cheap.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
s362/68/.83ar works well for small setup... but be careful with EBP when starting to push larger injectors. People don't realize how high it gets with the 68 turbine and .83ar turbine housing... highest ebp/boost ratio of any setup I have ever tested.

Like others have said it tows like a dream as long as you keep your rpms up. Will have that little bit of non-vgt lag off idle but but should spool awesome once you get into the sweet spot moving down the highway.

We offer SoCal t4 kits which get rid of all the typical issues we have seen with other kits... aka oil drains not lining up, having to buy special downpipes, poor fitment, etc. Let me know if we can help.

https://kcturbos.com/collections/6-0-powerstroke/products/6-0-socal-non-vgt-t4-s300-install-kit

Reaction score
s362/68/.83ar works well for small setup... but be careful with EBP when starting to push larger injectors. People don't realize how high it gets with the 68 turbine and .83ar turbine housing... highest ebp/boost ratio of any setup I have ever tested.

Like others have said it tows like a dream as long as you keep your rpms up. Will have that little bit of non-vgt lag off idle but but should spool awesome once you get into the sweet spot moving down the highway.

We offer SoCal t4 kits which get rid of all the typical issues we have seen with other kits... aka oil drains not lining up, having to buy special downpipes, poor fitment, etc. Let me know if we can help.

https://kcturbos.com/collections/6-0-powerstroke/products/6-0-socal-non-vgt-t4-s300-install-kit

Yeah been kind of humming and hawing between the .83 and .91... I know all the 62mm SXE's come with the .91 and most people I talk to regarding it say that will be fine. But I would just hate to install it and end up wishing I went with a .83. I will be sticking with stock injectors. The .83's however are quite pricey it seems. Whats your guys take?

Thanks for the insight I appreciate it! Ill look into the SoCal kit as well.. Any black friday specials or what? :shocked:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Yeah been kind of humming and hawing between the .83 and .91... I know all the 62mm SXE's come with the .91 and most people I talk to regarding it say that will be fine. But I would just hate to install it and end up wishing I went with a .83. I will be sticking with stock injectors. The .83's however are quite pricey it seems. Whats your guys take?

Thanks for the insight I appreciate it! Ill look into the SoCal kit as well.. Any black friday specials or what? :shocked:

With stock injectors i would do the .83ar for sure. They are a little more expensive.

We have not seen any Black Friday deals from SoCal yet... I will post up if they do anything.

Zeb

Reaction score

Definitely go with the .83.
If you use the super core part number I posted earlier, it doesnt come with a turbine housing, so you buy the .83, and dont end up with an unused turbine housing.
What kind of price are you seeing for the super core and .83? You should be able to find that setup for $900-$950.

Latest posts

Members online