2001 7.3 oil

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm still on a fresh oil change 1424 miles to be exact and it has gotten a little low so I added maybe half a quart and it lost thst. It's not leaking but when cold it smokes blue smoke. It doesn't smell like oil though it smells kinda like unburnt fuel sorta. Truck has 270,000 miles and I'm gonna do another oil change soon it's a little darker than I like .

Any ideas on the smoke? Hope it's not burning oil

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Sounds like it’s burning oil to me. How are the intercooler pipes? Is the valley wet with oil?

Haven't checked the valley, the outside the pipes are dirty like black gunk. I have meant to clean them but haven't had a chance. If you mean the inside of them I don't have a clue. I'm gonna drive it tommorow and get it to temp then pull the oil cap see how much is blowing out.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yea check blowby. Then maybe a leak down test, but a compression test may suffice. If all good there, then possible internal injector issues? I belive these can mix oil internally

dmd

Reaction score
How much blue smoke? Clouds or just a hint?

I see you are in LA., how cold is your cold?

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
My air filter is brand new. It puffs smoke and when you rev it just a slight amount it smokes more when the rpms come down. Truck was still cold it wasn't up to temp. I'm in Louisiana so not real cold temps in mid 50,s at the time. Tomorrow I will have the truck at temp and check it again. Thanks for all the help guys. I will have more information tommorow

Arisley

Reaction score
On my truck, if I tried to keep it to the full mark, it would use a quart in a hurry. If I let it run a quart low, it was happy and stayed at a quart low.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
On my truck, if I tried to keep it to the full mark, it would use a quart in a hurry. If I let it run a quart low, it was happy and stayed at a quart low.

Ok I will try and see what happens. My last 7.3 would stay at the full mark for couple thousand miles with adding any.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
OK thanks guys. I drove to a doctor appointment today truck wasn't fully hot, I pulled the oil cap and it was smoking out the top more than I would like. Not sure how much smoke is ok I figure no smoke is perfect but it has 270, 000 miles so it has wear on it.
I'm running valvoline oil would a different or better oil make a difference? Once warm it doesn't smoke like when it's cold either. If you rev the engine it will puff a slight blue I mean really slight and it doesn't smell to much like burnt oil.

Just wish I could figure if it's a ring problem or injectors. They are original injectors also.

dmd

Reaction score
They all will smoke out of the filler. If you put the cap back on upside down and
it just wiggles off from the vibration that is OK. If it gets blown off or there is puffing
in the smoke stream isnt steady) then there is issue with a cylinder. If you have concerns just
post a video so other can see.

Blowby is normal in a diesel, just need to see if it is excessive for the mileage.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
They all will smoke out of the filler. If you put the cap back on upside down and
it just wiggles off from the vibration that is OK. If it gets blown off or there is puffing
in the smoke stream isnt steady) then there is issue with a cylinder. If you have concerns just
post a video so other can see.

Blowby is normal in a diesel, just need to see if it is excessive for the mileage.

Yes sir it's puffing it looks to be. I will try to post a video. Thanks again for the help

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Sorry about the delay guys health issues have been keeping me down. Still haven't figured out the truck issues. It smoke worse the colder the weather is, is not cold but even cool weather it smokes blue smoke but it smells like fuel or unburnt fuel not like a burning oil smell.
Anyhow other things are happening so not sure if I'm gonna keep this thing. It's breaking me to keep sinking money into it. It's a clean truck though for a 2001 4x4 .
I will let you guys know what I find I may try to take it to a shop and have them run a scan on it to see if it's meeting all the parameters. Thanks again for all the help.

dmd

Reaction score
If it looks like a old steam train with the puffing then it is bad. Steady wafting is normal..

Still could be a sticking injector, but that should smoke even warm just not as bad.

If it is puffing then you have to check compression, these old 7.3 dont have the
monitors to set codes like the newer trucks.

t.rider.013

Reaction score
My 2000 f350 did the same thing and the Ford dealer told me it was my turbo. The shaft was sloppy as can be up down side to side. Put new turbo on the issue was gone. Pull the piping and see if you have any kind of movement on the turbo shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToMang07

Reaction score

Mine does the same. If you try to keep it to the full mark it burns it off, then settles in.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Appreciate the replys. I need to try to upload some videos so you guys can see for yourself. Also the blue intercooler boot on driverside by the battery gets couple small drops of oil onto it everytime I take it for a drive 40 or so miles long. Can't find where it's coming from for the life of me. I wipe it clean and when I drive it on highway for a distance I will check and a small drip or 2 will be back on the boot. I will get a picture posted soon.

I also have to put it back in shop to try again to fix cab leak. I have spent 450 bucks and it still leaks. It also clatters bad when under any kind of load, especially when going up a hill or just trying to build speed. Sounds like valve clatter almost and no power. It struggles to maintain any speed when a hill comes up. This is all with a empty truck I honestly don't think it would pull a trailer of any kind. The other owner pulled a huge trailer and I don't see how he even moved it.
My wife has a 5.3 tahoe and that thing I bet will pull a load way easier than this truck. It struggles to move itself so I keep it around 65 on the highway.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Again the truck is a 2001 f250 7.3 4x4 cc. 3.73 gears with 285/75/16 tires. Has a 4 inch exhaust with a muffler I installed a custom intake with a Donaldson filter. Also has a new fuel filter as well as fresh oil and new oil filter. Truck has a little over 271,000 miles, everything else is stock.
The front hubs are locked in which I hate but I tried unlocking them but the drivers side wheel vibrates so bad I can't do anymore than about 35 mph, I figure them locked in can't help but rob some power plus kill fuel mileage. I have to drive about 165 miles every weekend and it's all highway and running 60-65 mph it burns just a tad under half a tank.

Not having gauges sucks and I'm trying to give as much info as I can. I know these trucks need to run certain numbers like fuel pressure and what not so not knowing any of that makes this a guessing game. I'm running valvoline oil and I may try something different next oil change plus I plan to flush the cooling system as well.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
2 more things I wanted to add. Sometimes when taking off slowly the truck shudders, not sure if it's the rear end or trans. Does it going straight not just turning. Also when getting off the interstate it slows down really quick with out the brakes. It doesn't coast well at all.
It feels like the brakes are being applied but aren't as if something is binding which is maybe why my fuel mileage sucks.

My wife's z71 tahoe you need the brakes when exiting the freeway not my truck as soon as I release the gas pedal it's slowing down as if I'm applying the brakes which I'm not. The brakes aren't dragging because I would smell them burning.

Latest posts

Members online