My 96 CCSB - Superduty Coil swap and other mods

heavydoc

Reaction score
Spent a little time pressure washing the donor axles today and found the old tag on the front axle under a few layers of what looks like chassis saver or POR15. After a little scratching and scrubbing looks like I have 3:73's in there. Pretty happy with that as I did not want 3:55's. I think the 3:73 will be good with the stock superduty 34.5 tires. I was always pretty happy with 4:10 and 35's and these tires should have a bit less mass

IMG_3843.jpg
Nice! I prefer 4:10 to 3:73 but that maybe because i still have a few engine issues.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JayTee013

Reaction score
I was definitely hoping for 4:10s but the 3:73 will def be better than 3:55. I was worried with the donor being a 5.4 it would be 3:55. I did spin the rear and it's definitely open as well. So whatever I lost from my 4:10 and lsd I hope to gain in ride quality with the coils. Time will tell!

JayTee013

Reaction score
Front bump stops

Looked at mounting the coil buckets to the frame and decided I would probably use the existing frame holes (from old bump stops) on the bottom flange and just redrill the buckets instead of vise versa. The frame is thicker and in nicer shape than the buckets anyway.

After looking a bit more, the metal mounting flange of the superduty bump stops were a bit rough and my OBS are mint. Also if I'm using those existing holes anyway I can bolt the old bump stop right back in. So that lead to the next step, if I'm doing a 2.5" lift then technically the bump stops might as well also be 2.5" closer to the frame.

So I machined up some drop spacers that follow suit with the radius arm mount spacers. Figured I'd give it a little of my own touch. Again, not really needed but fun none the less. They will utilize 1/2-13 grade 8 bolts 3.5" long. I'll probably also utilize a third existing bottom hole on the coil buckets towards the rear of the truck.

Some pics:
IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg
c
IMG_3856.jpg

heavydoc

Reaction score
To many more pics like that and you are gonna be building these for everyone, but then you get to become a sponsor.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JayTee013

Reaction score
Coil bucket repair

Machined up my 'coil bucket repair kit'.

Probably just easier to buy coil new coil buckets but made new spring locators that will bolt into the old buckets from above. Some 3/8-16 carriage bolts will do the trick!

No one will ever see them... especially since I'll shoot them rattle can black, but I know they are there. No ford emblem this time... haha

Stay tuned for the installation. Need to de-rustify, clean and paint the old coils buckets first.

IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

Jomax

Reaction score
Doesn't it cost more to make that custom piece vs new coil buckets? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayTee013

Reaction score
2012 rear springs

Found some almost new 2012 take off springs on Craigslist.

The guy had bought them and stripped the overloads off them for his F250.

I had been smart enough to torch off the rear hangers off the superduty frame so I will bolt those 8" forward of my existing hangers using the existing ones to measure off of.

The new springs sitting on my garage floor:
IMG_3890.jpg

JayTee013

Reaction score
For $125 I couldn't say no. The 1.5hrs in traffic tonight to pick them up wasn't much fun tho

I now have the Carli deaver overload packs and almost new 05+ springs with overloads if anyone is interested. Not going to need them anymore..

JayTee013

Reaction score
Rear Shackle flip?????

So...
The new rear springs have got me thinking and measuring a bit in the rear of the truck....

In the front I made those 'coil bucket repair kits'. I originally designed them to sit up on top of the buckets but after looking at them and fitting them up to the springs, they will work either on top or below the buckets once the holes are drilled in the buckets. Effectively giving me a stock height or 5/8" lift. Which gives me a little leeway on how the truck sits rake wise. I've got some take off 2008 king ranch wheels/tires and though I like the rims I may be looking for a bit more rubber in the future, so this will be good.

So back to where I started.. the rear - I'm thinking I will want a bit more height in the rear, especially from what I'm reading about those new springs I got as they may actually lower it a bit. I don't think I want to add more block as that gets me into the needed traction bars... More expense... So I started thinking about a rear shackle flip. That led me to the Sky superduty kit. Anybody used these? Thoughts? Should give me a bit more height, better pinion angle and less block (still planning on adjusting final height with a custom block once all the kinks are worked out and susp has settled in).

Opinions/experience with shackle flip? I've always done blocks/traction bars in the past, but hate the bind and would like to keep the axle as close to those new springs as possible. My research tells me the '11-'16 springs should be better as far as axle wrap anyway, due to being equidistant from each mount.
sky%20shackle%20flip.jpg

slowcoupe

Reaction score
Looking great. Machined parts look awesome. Keep it up as I may be referencing this thread for a buddy of mine who looking at buying an OBS but wants the coil front.

JayTee013

Reaction score
After a bit of a hiatus, I'm back on this project. I had some house projects that needed doing and took priority. Anyway spring has sprung and it's time to get this thing back on the road. Got the axles in my garage and pretty much stripped down. Still need some disassembly on the front.

Got a nice surprise, the donor was limited slip!

IMG_4111.jpg

Here's a couple other pics from this morning :

The rear pretty much ready for primer:
IMG_4110.jpg

The emergency brakes are pretty well shot. Anyone have a good source for backer plate and all hardware/shoes? Or should I just go to the Ford dealer?

IMG_4113.jpg

Also been awhile since I pulled apart a Dana 60. Like 8 years.... time flies. And then it was an old OBS unit. Best method to install caster shims/ball joints? I pulled the bolts from the inside of the knuckle that hold the hub on but can't get the half shaft to slide out (with hub assembly still intact) the axle floats right? Looks like it does to me.

IMG_4109.jpg

Also going to have all the rotors turned and do all new calipers. Any suggestions on Dana 60
Disassembly and e-brake parts I'm all ears. Will be doing both this week.

Thanks,

Jesse

sdh1994

Reaction score
Just went through what you are doing, I used the Dorman parts lot cheaper the Ford and used Rayobestos hardware kit. Sounds like the vacuum seal is holding the axle in. If you are replacing the seal just use a pry bar and pry axle out and seal will come out.