Drag Link Tie Rod Replacement

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Going through my whole steering setup. Tie rods are shot at both ends of my drag link. Was just going to go with some Napa Premium tie rods, but figured I would double check on best quality.

Are the Napa Premium components okay? Should I be looking at Moogs or XRF? Or OEM?

F^3 Concrete

Reaction score
Going through my whole steering setup. Tie rods are shot at both ends of my drag link. Was just going to go with some Napa Premium tie rods, but figured I would double check on best quality.

Are the Napa Premium components okay? Should I be looking at Moogs or XRF? Or OEM?
If you need them today, go ahead with the Napas. If available, I like the Moog greasables. They usually last about 250k with being greased around every 15k

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I'm leaving on a trip in 2 weeks and would like it done by then.

I looked at the Napa premium tie rods today (with the blue dust cover). They seem well built, just not sure about the made in Taiwan part. I guess it's hard to find stuff made in the US anymore.

F^3 Concrete

Reaction score
Personally I won't run moog.
Do you need it now, or have a bit of time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Just curious, why is that? I have one of my trucks that will need new ones within this year, so if there is a better product, I'd like to give it a try. What do you run?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
i didn't like the moog tie rod ends for the actual tie rod on mine

they lacked some material so you couldn't use the OEM safety devices

the drag links are alright IMO and all are easy to replace but I did go with a PMF center for the drag link on my truck

I am buying spicer for the ball joint and axle u joint area even if I have to add my own zerk fittings

XRF is interesting but I can't quite sell myself on them based on the reviews

PABowhunter

Reaction score
i didn't like the moog tie rod ends for the actual tie rod on mine

they lacked some material so you couldn't use the OEM safety devices

the drag links are alright IMO and all are easy to replace but I did go with a PMF center for the drag link on my truck

I am buying spicer for the ball joint and axle u joint area even if I have to add my own zerk fittings

XRF is interesting but I can't quite sell myself on them based on the reviews

Did you switch out the moogs? What year truck do you have? I don't think PMF makes anything for the 99-04 drag links. Unless I missed it on their website.

bordo380

Reaction score
I was likely going the pmf route.
Something like this. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/YLINK.html

Heard too many failures on the moog. Namely the balljoints.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

8d641ae07bc16bc8cd48ac3fa50541d6.jpg

I didn't know any better so I went with Moog. I read good stuff about them. If I had it to do over and had time AND money I would do Heim Joints.

Zmann

Reaction score
Did you switch out the moogs? What year truck do you have? I don't think PMF makes anything for the 99-04 drag links. Unless I missed it on their website.

mine is an 06
i just did the Tierods and drag links so I still have the moog in there

but you can change them without jacking up the truck or even removing a wheel so if they act up they are gone
I won't put MooG in my Balljoint location those are just too hard to change

I thought PMF had a 03- Drag link but I couldn't find it either
I would be inclined to call him it sure is nice just changing out a short end vs the whole bar