Best Steering Box Option for 2001

PABowhunter

Reaction score
My steering box needs to be replaced. My original plan was to go with Redhead, but I've been reading through some threads on here about guys having some issues with their Redhead boxes. I would like to go with Motorcraft, but they're all rebuilt at this point. Are there better options at this point? Will the newer 2016 boxes fit on a 2001 truck?

rhorsers

Reaction score
My steering box needs to be replaced. My original plan was to go with Redhead, but I've been reading through some threads on here about guys having some issues with their Redhead boxes. I would like to go with Motorcraft, but they're all rebuilt at this point. Are there better options at this point? Will the newer 2016 boxes fit on a 2001 truck?
I would like to know the exact same. Mine is a 2001 also. Been looking at the same redhead. I contacted Sunrise Ford that is advertised here and there's is rebuilt too from Ford I believe

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score

Yea. You have to change one of the hydroboost lines, change your pitman arm to match and the tie rod at the pitman arm to go with it. Also need to drill out the holes in the frame to accept the bigger bolts. I was going to do it but ended up needing my truck up and running asap. The 2016 box is also very expensive. I just went with a reman box from the part store, working great and unless you want to get into a big and rather expensive project I'd recommend doing the same.

Last edited:

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Yes, those are the two threads I've read recently that have made me second guess going with Redhead. For a while, it seemed like Redhead was always the obvious answer. Now, not so much.

It looks like the newer boxes will bolt up to the 08+ trucks. The Pre 07 trucks are going to require some modification. I'm looking to see how much modification would be needed to fit a '16 box.

Is there a benefit to a 05-07 box going into a 2001?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Yes, those are the two threads I've read recently that have made me second guess going with Redhead. For a while, it seemed like Redhead was always the obvious answer. Now, not so much.

It looks like the newer boxes will bolt up to the 08+ trucks. The Pre 07 trucks are going to require some modification. I'm looking to see how much modification would be needed to fit a '16 box.

Is there a benefit to a 05-07 box going into a 2001?

Look up one post.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
While I'm on the subject of steering components. Any recommended upgrade to power steering pump?

Reaction score
Hated the remain ford we put in the 02, so we purchased a red head, and love it. We have 5 trucks in the family/friend circle running red heads (all in the past 1-3 years) and all love them and have no issues. What's the supposed issue? By the way, we hated the reman ford because it was just as loose as the worn out original one. Nice and tight with the red heads

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Hated the remain ford we put in the 02, so we purchased a red head, and love it. We have 5 trucks in the family/friend circle running red heads (all in the past 1-3 years) and all love them and have no issues. What's the supposed issue? By the way, we hated the reman ford because it was just as loose as the worn out original one. Nice and tight with the red heads

This makes me go back and forth, haha!

I've just seen a few guys on here talking about not so great experiences with Redhead.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Unless your box has fallen off, you may want to adjust the set screw on top. I have in three trucks now and it makes everything feel good as new , assuming your linkages are all good.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
What were the issues you've read about, first I've heard of any

Faulty boxes, sloppy steering, poor customer service. If you look at the two threads posted in the beginning of this thread I believe there is some talk in those.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Unless your box has fallen off, you may want to adjust the set screw on top. I have in three trucks now and it makes everything feel good as new , assuming your linkages are all good.

I did that multiple times. It's at the point now where you turn the wheel and it just stays there. It doesn't bind, but it doesn't steer like it's supposed to.

16yrenthusiest

Reaction score
Has anyone done a SD box into an OBS?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Haven't done it but been reading for when I get around to an 05 axle swap. This info is for 05-07 boxes.
Holes need to be reamed out for larger bolts, steering shaft will go right on, and need p/s pressure line from 05-07 truck.
Not sure about pitman arm as all my research was with an axle swap

Latest posts

Members online