4r100 Swap Info

madman1234509

Reaction score
Been looking hard into transmission swaps. I have been really torn between a 48re and a 4r100. I honestly think that due to the compatibility of the 4r I may eventually go that route. The biggest things I want to figure out is what do I need to get it to bolt in? From what I understand a 4r out of a v10 will bolt up? Also I've read that the input shaft in the transfer case needs to be changed? I'm assuming it needs the input shaft out of a 4r truck?

The biggest things for me, which I am hoping people have found the answers to since the threads I read from 2 years ago. Can we get cruise control to work? My truck is daily driven and I use cruise control a ton, especially on long trips. What is necessary to keep the wrench light or CEL off? Are all of these issues solved in the tuning?

Any info would be great, and thanks in advance! I have a feeling this will be going in the Harley truck to start. Hopefully a regular cab long bed will be in the future with the Harley truck converted to tow rig.

BOSS450

Reaction score
Modular 4R out of a v10 is correct.

Depends where you get yours built if you need to swap inputs in transfer case as some builders use a special shaft that I think was originally designed by Brian @ bts. I had to swap mine before rudys bc these 4r/5r output shafts were back ordered from tcs. Swapping shafts in the tcase is easy, bout an hour and $30 in seals from ford.

Matt worked with me great and got all the check engine lights pertaining to the transmission gone for me by running a manual file and unplugging the tcm. However my truck never had cruise so idk what to tell you there.

And idk how many sponsors here build competition 4rs so I'm not trying to do a sales pitch for a non vender so Yall are more then welcome to edit. But Twisted has come a long ways. Larger intermediate making it the same size shaft wise as a 47/48. Plus I've only broke one shaft and that was leaving the line harder then when I cut a 1.32 60ft @ 6700#s.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Great info thank you. The trans will most likely be built by the guy that's done the rest of the work on my truck. He built my 5r and it has been doing great on the street so far.

Anyone have any info on a functional cruise control?

BOSS450

Reaction score
Great info thank you. The trans will most likely be built by the guy that's done the rest of the work on my truck. He built my 5r and it has been doing great on the street so far.

Anyone have any info on a functional cruise control?

Sounds good! Just have patience haha. Takes a little to get the valve body drilled correctly.

Matt

Reaction score
Didn't Ryan get cruise to work with his 47re or whatever trans it was? I like the way my 4r drives, just the installation was kind of a hack job that I need to go through and redo.

AllanB

Reaction score
We just recently got the 4r going in my 2wd. I didn't drive it a lot before leaving for work. But I wasn't so impressed with the shifting for normal daily driving. When pushing it hard the shifting was great. When being real easy on it, the shift points were right on. But it seemed like anywhere between matting it to the floor, or barely pressing the gas petal, it would shift out of 1st great. But after shifting out of 1st it would jump through 2nd, 3rd, and into 4th in about 1 or 2 seconds, then it will down shift back into 3rd. I'm sure this is all in the tuning. But like I was saying, I didn't get a chance to drive it much before heading back to work.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I've got core v10 transmissions if you end up going that route OP.

BOSS450

Reaction score
We just recently got the 4r going in my 2wd. I didn't drive it a lot before leaving for work. But I wasn't so impressed with the shifting for normal daily driving. When pushing it hard the shifting was great. When being real easy on it, the shift points were right on. But it seemed like anywhere between matting it to the floor, or barely pressing the gas petal, it would shift out of 1st great. But after shifting out of 1st it would jump through 2nd, 3rd, and into 4th in about 1 or 2 seconds, then it will down shift back into 3rd. I'm sure this is all in the tuning. But like I was saying, I didn't get a chance to drive it much before heading back to work.

You're right, that's tunning. While you drive if you look at where change all shift points a blue dot will show up on the graph letting you know exactly where you're at in the chart.

AllanB

Reaction score
You're right, that's tunning. While you drive if you look at where change all shift points a blue dot will show up on the graph letting you know exactly where you're at in the chart.

Been a while since I have been on PSA. So I guess I am going to have to act like a newb with this question. Ughhh, what graph :shrug: lol

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Modular 4R out of a v10 is correct.

Depends where you get yours built if you need to swap inputs in transfer case as some builders use a special shaft that I think was originally designed by Brian @ bts. I had to swap mine before rudys bc these 4r/5r output shafts were back ordered from tcs. Swapping shafts in the tcase is easy, bout an hour and $30 in seals from ford.

Matt worked with me great and got all the check engine lights pertaining to the transmission gone for me by running a manual file and unplugging the tcm. However my truck never had cruise so idk what to tell you there.

And idk how many sponsors here build competition 4rs so I'm not trying to do a sales pitch for a non vender so Yall are more then welcome to edit. But Twisted has come a long ways. Larger intermediate making it the same size shaft wise as a 47/48. Plus I've only broke one shaft and that was leaving the line harder then when I cut a 1.32 60ft @ 6700#s.

Twisted is a sponsor here and we sell their trans. Good stuff for sure.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
What are your options for 4R100's that will work? Sounds like certain V10 trans will work and obviously the 7.3 version will work. What about the 5.4 4R100?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The 7.3L version won't bolt up. But the 5.4L will. The 5.4L version isn't as strong as the others, but it can be built to the same level that any 4R100 can be built to.