KC stage 3 with stock injectors?

rekt

Reaction score
Possibly buying my buddies truck who just had the injectors replaced and they dont even have a 1000 miles on them. The turbo is on its way out and i thought i might aswell replace the turbo with a KC stage 3 is it possible to run this turbo with stock sticks? If not is there a way i can modify these injectors instead of buying brand new ones modded and sending these injectors as cores? Sorry for the stupid question im fairly new to diesels. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

kwelch08

Reaction score
I really don't think stock injectors are enough fuel for that turbo maybe Charlie will chime in, but you can send those injectors to Warren or holder and get them how ever you want them.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

rekt

Reaction score
I highly doubt they are but do you know what the price is to modify them?

nighthawk285

Reaction score
What these guys said......if you want all around throttle response and power, don't go any bigger than a S2 with stock sticks.....hell even with bigger injectors sometimes it takes a little bit to get the S3s spinning. Your temps high in the revs would be fine, but you'd run really hot and smokey when you're under the turbo.

As far as your injector question yes you can have the injectors in there now modded. Your truck will just be down between the time you send them out and get back.

Side note.....are you really set up on using a Stage 3? Are there any supporting mods done to the truck to help feed bigger injectors and hold together the bigger power? I wouldn't do anything until the truck is studded at least, or else you're pretty much sitting on borrowed time....especially if you start upgrading turbos and upsizing injectors on the stock head bolts.

rekt

Reaction score
What these guys said......if you want all around throttle response and power, don't go any bigger than a S2 with stock sticks.....hell even with bigger injectors sometimes it takes a little bit to get the S3s spinning. Your temps high in the revs would be fine, but you'd run really hot and smokey when you're under the turbo.

As far as your injector question yes you can have the injectors in there now modded. Your truck will just be down between the time you send them out and get back.

Side note.....are you really set up on using a Stage 3? Are there any supporting mods done to the truck to help feed bigger injectors and hold together the bigger power? I wouldn't do anything until the truck is studded at least, or else you're pretty much sitting on borrowed time....especially if you start upgrading turbos and upsizing injectors on the stock head bolts.

Yes the truck is studded and has been for about 3 years, he is a diesel tech so he religiously takes care of it, completely flushes the coolant every oil change and always buys the best of the best for the truck. Im set on the stage 3 cause i think for the price difference its a no brainer. I dont haul anything, just a jetski and maybe here and there my buddies boats. Maybe a side by side a handful of times a year. I want to keep the VGT cause its just a bolt on and sounds cool :morons:

Mdub707

Reaction score
It's much easier to tune down a larger injector to use on a stock turbo, but putting a bigger turbo on stock injectors is not nearly as easy. Not saying it can't be done, but I would be doing the injectors first personally. Or downsize the turbo.

Holders or MPD would be my choices for injectors for a 6.0. They can indeed modify yours and that's the way I would go if you truly have like new OEM injectors.

smokersteve

Reaction score
Think about KC stage 2 with stock sticks.
You will have the best reliability with stock inkectors...
It will also greatly help spool the turbo regardless if it's stock, stage 2 or 3, by upgrading some supporting mods.
I'm getting ready to buy BD diesel exhaust manifolds and up pipes. Huge help with exhaust flow.
Also FICM tuning will be a big help. I just got atlas 40.

Just doing a turbo and tune will still have more lag. Helping the air flow will be a big benefit to spool.

kwelch08

Reaction score
If you are dead set on the stage 3 190/30 or 205/30 injectors are good, and it'll still have the ability to tow with a good tow tune just might run a bit hot. Holders does injectors for a good price. Talk to Charlie at kc turbos and he will get you fixed up with everything from the tune to the turbo.
I went with the stage 2 with 190/30 injectors because I still tow heavy and I haven't been let down once.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I have the stage 3 with 205/30s from Holders. Truck runs great and pulls damn good too. I pull a 38 ft fifth wheel that's in the neighborhood of 15k. There is still a lot of power left on the table with only 205s with the stage 3, but as an overall dd it runs pretty good. I would recommend Holder's as they do great work and turn around time is really quick. The two times ive had them do mine, jturn around once they got the injectors was about 2 days. I have a buddy who waited over a month on Warren for 190/30s.

As was said before though, get with Charlie from KC, tell him your realistic goals, and he will steer you in the right direction.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I have been running 205/30 and switching too and from the stage 2 and stage 3 turbo.

Stage 2 spools much faster, almost ridiculously fast. Without a good locker/lsd, traction will be pretty useless down low because tires will spin if you get on it too hard. The combo tows great, basically with no issues at all as long as you keep above 2200 going up big hills , on flat ground it tows great even at lower rpms. The only downside the the power falls off a little bit on the top end and does not clean up the injectors completely at WOT. This is an AWESOME daily driver combo. I hope to dyno it soon to see where the power comes in at.

The stage 3 spools fine. You just have to roll into it a little bit. It still builds boost fine down low and runs clean, but it does not spool insanely fast like the stage 2 does down low. It runs about 100-150 degrees hotter than the stage 2 all across the board (cruising and towing). While towing I would not recommend even using OD unless it is a lite load on flat ground. This turbo really like the 2500+ range when towing heavy up any type of hill. The awesome thing about the stage 3 is that the top end is incredible... especially with the new tuning we have been working on. It clean up 205/30s to nothing and make about 45-50psi with the right tuning.

Here are a few little videos to show the 205/30 with stage 2 on a reduced fuel tune... traction was limited until I got my trutrac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmkLZzIUiqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpUDjnlB1m8

Latest posts

Members online