B&W hitch and shock removal

austin229

Reaction score
I just replaced my rears with some fox 2.0 shocks and it was an ordeal. I had previously installed a b&w gooseneck hitch and paid no attention to the upper passenger rear shock, but the forward crossmember for the hitch system had to be loosened and dropped down to do a shock change. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Hopefully b&w has updated their design because it turned a 15 minute job into a hour and a half one.

Zmann

Reaction score
so this isn't on your 2014 in the sig ? it is a 2017 like this section is for ?

i remember the issues with the older units before they modified them

IMG_0723.jpg

austin229

Reaction score
No I haven't had the 2012 in a while it's on a 17. The 17 kit is totally different than the 11-16 model. There was no way to get the shock out and in with the front section in

Jmuck

Reaction score
Haven't ran into that issue on any of the 17's we installed them in.

austin229

Reaction score
Maybe mine is a fluke I'll get back under there and take some pictures tomorrow. I've never had issues with b&w but I don't think it can be installed wrong.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I like my B&W a lot, probably more than the factory ones I've seen but curious as to why you didn't get the factory hitch in the truck. I think I would just get one already put in if I got a new one.

austin229

Reaction score
That would have been ideal, I couldn't find the color and rim option that I wanted with a hitch and without a sunroof within a 400 mile radius from my dealer.

Last edited:

cbly

Reaction score
Welp, I was hoping someone found a good work around for this when I seen the Title, as I have the same issue. Hopefully when I need new shocks there is a viable fix for it rather than unbolt and remove the turnover ball plate. Seen it was going to be a problem when I installed the hitch. So the reason I opted for not ordering the ford Hitch system is: I didn't realize B&W made a ford compatible hitch. I found this out after the fact and I prefer the B&W hitch over their competition. Have had one for several years and in my opinion they are the best bang for your buck.

15Platinum67

Reaction score
I had the same issue when removing rear passager shock. I emailed B&W about the issue and they are aware of it and the engineering department is the the process of a redesign on the hitch cross member. I removed the cross member and plasma cut a notch in it for future shock removal.
This is their response.

Thank you for your inquiry. I apologize for any inconvenience you incurred with our hitch. We have found that with our hitch installed on the new Super Duty trucks it does have to be slightly disassembled to remove the shock. I will make sure that the information you have provided is sent to our head of engineering immediately. We greatly appreciate your continued support of our products and will make sure this issue is promptly addressed. If there is anything I can assist you with in the future, please let me know.

Latest posts

Members online