2020 revealed

superpsd

Reaction score
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/2020-ford-f-series-super-duty-debuts-new-7-3-liter-v8

I'm in love with the Dually facelift....
fhd4.jpg

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So a 7.3 gasser.. big whoop. It says 6.7 powerstroke that is a inline 6? Im guessing thats a fail. Lol

live life full throttle

Black AOD

Reaction score
10 Speed Trans, higher fuel system injection pressures, redesigned VGT and block enhancements. Front End facelift and more towing capacity. Sounds like a winner.

I may hold off on doing anything more to my 17' now.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I’m very skeptical of this 10 speed trans. But guess time will tell.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So far, has not been so good, from what weve been seeing. Hopefully they changed something to make it "heavy duty"...

Weve seen several mustangs and f150s with the trans completely trashed in them, with fairly low miles. One mustang had almost 1000, I think the most miles on one thats been in had around 35-36k, and that was an f150.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

J98

Reaction score
So far, has not been so good, from what weve been seeing. Hopefully they changed something to make it "heavy duty"...

Weve seen several mustangs and f150s with the trans completely trashed in them, with fairly low miles. One mustang had almost 1000, I think the most miles on one thats been in had around 35-36k, and that was an f150.

From motortrend...

"TORQSHIFT 10-SPEED AUTOMATIC
All new. Less than 7 percent of parts are shared between the F-150 10-speed and the Super Duty TorqShift transmissions. Those that do carry over are primarily minor fasteners. Gear ratios have not been shared as yet, but we're told they aren't very different, though heavily loaded Super Duty vehicles may skip gears much less often than the light-duty trucks do. The new transmission also supports multiple drive modes, including normal, tow/haul, eco, slippery, and deep sand and snow. And, as with the F-150, the much broader ratio spread promises improved performance and economy relative to the G6 six-speed TorqShift it replaces. It also fits in the same space and weighs just 3.5 pounds more than the G6."

Fingers crossed... I hate the 10 spd in the f150's.. seems like the only time their happy is at WOT.

blackie375

Reaction score
nice to see a pushrod gas engine coming back, as much as I hate GM, their LS series engines seem to have way less problems than 5.4 Fords

gnxtc2

Reaction score

Just like the PTU units that grenade in LE use Exploders???? Should of never got rid of the Panther platform.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Black AOD

Reaction score

These comments right here I 100% agree with and are my main concern.

My biggest worry is that the 10 Speeds in the SD's act like the 1/2 ton F150 10 Speeds and wander a lot and can never find the right gear like how the F150 10 speeds do, seen it first hand.

However if they do get them right, how long will it take to get tuning right on them? The 17+ 6R trans tuning took forever to even get them decent.

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
7.3 is just gonna drive up the sales of diesel trucks lol. The 6.2 already sucks, and while the 7.3 may put up decent power numbers the fuel economy is gonna be horrible and the 6.7 is sure to put up better power numbers.

The 6.2 is a great engine but compared to a 6.7 it just doesn't make sense to me, the gas engine just isn't worth it. The cost of fuel averages out and the diesels hold up and tow better.

I'm not wild on the fogs or the slant on the lights. I like the idea of the grille, however.

More gears isn't always better, ford should have learned from GM. The 8 speed sucks and the 10 speed isn't much better.

PDT1081

Reaction score
7.3 is just gonna drive up the sales of diesel trucks lol. The 6.2 already sucks, and while the 7.3 may put up decent power numbers the fuel economy is gonna be horrible and the 6.7 is sure to put up better power numbers.

The 6.2 is a great engine but compared to a 6.7 it just doesn't make sense to me, the gas engine just isn't worth it. The cost of fuel averages out and the diesels hold up and tow better.

I'm not wild on the fogs or the slant on the lights. I like the idea of the grille, however.

More gears isn't always better, ford should have learned from GM. The 8 speed sucks and the 10 speed isn't much better.
The new 7.3 is aimed directly at diesel sales. They're going for low end torque with it. It should be a great option for those that only tow occasionally. Mileage-wise and the cost difference between gas and diesel means it should be more economical for those that don't have a trailer hooked up every day.

I've seen elsewhere that Ford claims it's "turbo ready." It's basically a big block LS. There are a lot of people hoping Ford doesn't screw it up.

The 10 speed transmission was developed in a collaboration with GM.

sootie

Reaction score

6.2 is not a great engine, sorry. It's a flaming pile of chit.

I hope this 7.3 gives the LS motors a run for their money,.

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
The new 7.3 is aimed directly at diesel sales. They're going for low end torque with it. It should be a great option for those that only tow occasionally. Mileage-wise and the cost difference between gas and diesel means it should be more economical for those that don't have a trailer hooked up every day.

I've seen elsewhere that Ford claims it's "turbo ready." It's basically a big block LS. There are a lot of people hoping Ford doesn't screw it up.

The 10 speed transmission was developed in a collaboration with GM.

I drive 102 miles on the interstate 4 times week (commuting there and back twice.) I’ve done enough trips to get some decent numbers (2 and a half years doing it now, and at least 20 trips in each vehicle.)
In my 6.2 the best I did was a bit over 14, the dieted 6.4 does 17-19 depending on how much of a hurry I’m in. Stock 6.7 does 15-16.
6.0 vortec (lq4) did 15.5 routinely but it was in a half ton suv, not a 3/4 ton pickup.

That’s why I say the 6.2 isn’t great on fuel. Haven’t trailered enough with the pickups to know what the numbers look like loaded but I’m sure the gap is similar if not wider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PDT1081

Reaction score
I drive 102 miles on the interstate 4 times week (commuting there and back twice.) I’ve done enough trips to get some decent numbers (2 and a half years doing it now, and at least 20 trips in each vehicle.)
In my 6.2 the best I did was a bit over 14, the dieted 6.4 does 17-19 depending on how much of a hurry I’m in. Stock 6.7 does 15-16.
6.0 vortec (lq4) did 15.5 routinely but it was in a half ton suv, not a 3/4 ton pickup.

That’s why I say the 6.2 isn’t great on fuel. Haven’t trailered enough with the pickups to know what the numbers look like loaded but I’m sure the gap is similar if not wider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1-2 mpg difference. With gasoline being $0.50-$1.00 per gallon cheaper, how many miles do you need to drive to make up the difference in initial cost? Remember, you have more maintenance costs with the diesel as well (oil changes, fuel filters, etc).

People are realizing this and starting to look back towards gas engines. If it has decent numbers, it will sell really well.

I drive anywhere from 60-110 miles a day for work. Lost 1-1.5 mpg when parts fell off.

BK39

Reaction score

Everything has it's own place. Within my company we need the superduty for the weight it will haul, but we're not pulling with all of them. Over the years we've owned almost all of them both gas and diesels (04 6.0, 06 6.0, 07 5.4, 13 6.7, 16 6.2, 17 6.7, 19 6.7, 18 6.2), when it comes to pulling, yes, we go for the diesels. But for the trucks that are just hauling heavy in the bed, we stick with the gas motors.
The cost of the diesel is just flat out More money. The original purchase is higher. The fuel is higher. The general maintenance is more expensive......etc. And Equally equipped, the 6.2l gas vs the 6.7l diesel, there is only 2mpg difference (same cab config, same everything, just gas vs diesel). So at the end of the day, all of our new trucks are gas, unless it's for pulling, then it's diesel.

C2tuck

Reaction score
Don’t forget about trade in/resale value either here. What’s that 6.2 worth with 100-150k miles on it compared to the same truck in a diesel? Yeah you spend more, but you also get more for it when your done, and you don’t dread pulling with it...

Latest posts

Members online