238/80's smoking on cold start

glovemeister

Reaction score
Curious if this is common.

Got a set of 238/80's that smoke on cold start, until eot reaches like 140-160. Then as if by magic perfect no smoke.

No bad hot, or cold start performance and no missing.

I had them pulled and flow tested, they found 1 bad nozzle and the rest were good.

Reinstalled and same thing.
I'm wondering if it is something internally that does not show on flow bench with fluids at regular EOT, or perhaps a tuning issue.

ETA: Forgot to mention e99 truck, and auto. So as far as I know I avoid the known zf6 timing issue from factory on these trucks.

Last edited:

mcnance865

Reaction score
If you are talking white/grey smoke, then it is pretty normal. My 238/80s will smoke when cold, but they start clearing up pretty quick. By EOT of 85-90 degrees it is clear. How much smoke are we talking? If it is just billowing, then you may have some other problem.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Curious if this is common.

Got a set of 238/80's that smoke on cold start, until eot reaches like 140-160. Then as if by magic perfect no smoke.

No bad hot, or cold start performance and no missing.

I had them pulled and flow tested, they found 1 bad nozzle and the rest were good.

Reinstalled and same thing.
I'm wondering if it is something internally that does not show on flow bench with fluids at regular EOT, or perhaps a tuning issue.

ETA: Forgot to mention e99 truck, and auto. So as far as I know I avoid the known zf6 timing issue from factory on these trucks.
How cold is it where you live?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Zeb

Reaction score
Mine is an AWA3. I put AC injectors in and it smokes like a train when it get cold out. Smells like unburnt diesel and don't walk through the cloud or you'll reek the rest of the day.

Sounds like my California PCM’d OBS.

Doesn’t help that it was run for who knows how long before I got it without an air filter.....in dry, dusty West Texas. LOL

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
Heck my Swamps 200/30's smoke like mad and idle rough at start up here in Michigan. They clear up really quick once moving and idle smooth.

Last edited:

mcnance865

Reaction score
I am assuming your truck is tuned for the AC injectors? I know its still a 0 nozzle, but they are single shots vs. the E99 split shots.

EDIT: I am mixing up posts I believe. Disregard the above for the OP.

glovemeister

Reaction score
If you are talking white/grey smoke, then it is pretty normal. My 238/80s will smoke when cold, but they start clearing up pretty quick. By EOT of 85-90 degrees it is clear. How much smoke are we talking? If it is just billowing, then you may have some other problem.

How many minutes do they smoke typically? and who's tuning do you run?

mcnance865

Reaction score
How many minutes do they smoke typically? and who's tuning do you run?

Usually 2-3 mins and then it is very minor haze, but once up to around 90 degrees EOT, there isn't really any at all. I live in Alabama though, so the coldest it has gotten all year was about 25 F.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Usually 2-3 mins and then it is very minor haze, but once up to around 90 degrees EOT, there isn't really any at all. I live in Alabama though, so the coldest it has gotten all year was about 25 F.
Most smoke on start up when its up into the mid to high 50s. Its normal this time of year... if you're that worried about it, start checking glow plug system.

My old dually even with a fresh rebuild would smoke on startup if it was 60 or under. And the glow plug system was always spot on. Would start unplugged at -27....

mcnance865

Reaction score
Most smoke on start up when its up into the mid to high 50s. Its normal this time of year... if you're that worried about it, start checking glow plug system.

My old dually even with a fresh rebuild would smoke on startup if it was 60 or under. And the glow plug system was always spot on. Would start unplugged at -27....

I'm not worried about it at all. Truck starts great. No issues running or idling. It's a little more haze than stock injectors, but no big deal. I was just relaying how mine act to the OP.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Dont forget the smoke might just be condensation build up in the exhaust. I've seen a lot of people mistake injector problems from common condensation

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.