Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Non - Specific > Welding & Fabrication Forum

Old 04-11-2017, 12:46 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Any stock machine @200 amps DC . Reverse polarity with a scratch start rig. And purge it. Or else you'll sugar it inside. Hell schedule 10 stainless you pretty much fuse it together
Old 04-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtclod View Post
Any stock machine @200 amps DC . Reverse polarity with a scratch start rig. And purge it. Or else you'll sugar it inside. Hell schedule 10 stainless you pretty much fuse it together
You and I can do that, but for a beginner, multipass is easier, lol.
2002 with a couple of mods, grocerygetter
Old 04-16-2017, 06:35 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Joe is right about just butt welding thin walled tubing. The swagelok orbital welder does autogenous with a backside purge. Get a dual outlet regulator if you plan on doing a lot of stainless. Money well spent. I'll try to post up some pics of half purge and half no purge on some pipe to illustrate how bad the sugaring can be.

Stubby gas lens is also a good upgrade and I like the flex head torches from CK. I also have a nice water cooled swivel head from them too.

Also, stainless has lower thermal conductivity than steel. In other words, you want to make sure you aren't lingering or it will get too hot quick on thinner parts. I have a hard time with this sometimes. Male sure you know how to read your colors.

I use 2% lanthinated for both dc and ac welding. You can weld aluminum with it sharpened and a slightly balled tip on an inverter machine. Very versatile tungsten.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by ja_cain; 04-16-2017 at 06:43 AM.