wanting to dump 38r

jbolen323

Reaction score
you should wait about 30 more days, also the kc38r and NEW kc69r will surprise you, charlie has already commented but i think everyone else is right, you have a issue you have not found. I have plenty of customers on kc38r with 160-238c/100% and no real issues and way stronger tuning then ********, Tuning is the key to any injector, id suggest other tuners.

it will be a upgraded drop in turbo to fill the void to go t4

Last edited:

bluedge8

Reaction score
you should wait about 30 more days, also the kc38r and NEW kc69r will surprise you, charlie has already commented but i think everyone else is right, you have a issue you have not found. I have plenty of customers on kc38r with 160-238c/100% and no real issues and way stronger tuning then ********, Tuning is the key to any injector, id suggest other tuners.

it will be a upgraded drop in turbo to fill the void to go t4
Who's tuning do you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jbolen323

Reaction score
Who's tuning do you recommend?

Pm and i can get you setup, most of the guys are actually online and on facebook due to convenience. GH is great for daily & tow but not as aggressive as others. I have a lot of custom tunes and i push everyone to just fork out the money and try a few different ones, its very similar to drinking beer or food, you really wont know until you just try it. There all similar but distinctly have differences that you cannot really explain. you can look at my sig for who i run.

most customer i usually give GH because its very hard to hurt something or run hot or have any issues for the most part, only if i know them or can be around and help teach them i let them get into more aggressive tunes, just set someone up with 250/100 and kc38r and trans lasted 6 days cause he wanted "power" The transmission was hurt we think anyway but it finally let go the other night after 2 months of limping it, not upset just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:

mikeeg02

Reaction score
FWIW, I had ge@rhead and a 38R and wasn't happy. If I defined enough egts could be maintained. But I wanted more sustainable towing horsepower. So much that I was told my tuning was bad too. I tried another highly recommended vendor's tuning and was severely disappointed. Especially when it came to them "custom tuning" it to what I wanted, they told me I'd have to have it love tuned. Even though I expressed my desire for a soft pedal like ge@rhead, because I don't want the tune to be touchy to make it feel more responsive. Neither tune from either vendor with that turbo gave me the results I wanted. I wanted more sustainable towing horsepower.

Only change being a turbo, and the results have been phenomenal. The truck does everything I want and more. I've learned since then some of my results with my old turbo could have been avoided if I opened the gate up some. But the things you Can t fix by opening the gate are a significantly quieter turbo, and faster spool up.

To this day I've found ge@rhead to be the most refined tuning I've ever tried. Though I'm a standard shift transmission. So I can't speak to his transmission.

Last edited:

Addicted4

Reaction score
Mikeegg02, your running 31's where as the op is running 35's. If he dropped tire size I bet he would see a big improvement. Rotating mass is a big power killer.

I'm in for results of the change or if you find something else causing the issue.

Always wondered if injectors from different builders would act with the same tuning. One being slower injection, faster, etc... causing issues like this, slow spooling high egt pig.

I'm putting a 38r in my obs cause from experience it's hard to beat. If your interested in selling yours pm me a price

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Mikeegg02, your running 31's where as the op is running 35's. If he dropped tire size I bet he would see a big improvement. Rotating mass is a big power killer.

I'm in for results of the change or if you find something else causing the issue.

Always wondered if injectors from different builders would act with the same tuning. One being slower injection, faster, etc... causing issues like this, slow spooling high egt pig.

I'm putting a 38r in my obs cause from experience it's hard to beat. If your interested in selling yours pm me a price

I believe the brad is running 35s on his, with 200/80s. And his is paired with a 364.5, 74mm exhaust wheel and a .91 housing. Hes as thrilled with his setup now as I am with mine. Thats another reason I suggested the 364.5, though if buying new, I would probably go with a 1.0 based off of what I see in my boost:backpressure readings from 1500-3500 tests. Maybe the .91 isnt so bad on top, and if you dont intend on using the upper rpm range much the .91 would be just fine. The brad uses his to tow quite a bit also.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I guess I'm about to drink the coolaid too, and I can't wait!
51593c8e87f1b35240e79d1832e8b6ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Those look a lot nicer under hood ;) Get her in there. Your permagrin will immediately be installed too. If you previously had a 38R, the most intriguing thing is realizing the turbo is coming up on boost, and you have to look at your gauge. Because you can't hear the first few psi like previously. Once you realize it's coming on quicker than normal, go for a few rips, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I guess I'm about to drink the coolaid too, and I can't wait!
51593c8e87f1b35240e79d1832e8b6ff.jpg

Just look at that lonely old speed sensor port. When is someone going to spend the money for one? It would be nice to see where these things are hitting on the map.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Those look a lot nicer under hood ;) Get her in there. Your permagrin will immediately be installed too. If you previously had a 38R, the most intriguing thing is realizing the turbo is coming up on boost, and you have to look at your gauge. Because you can't hear the first few psi like previously. Once you realize it's coming on quicker than normal, go for a few rips, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I'm working on getting the other part of the puzzle to get it mounted.
I had a 38r but was leaking oil on the compressor side so I put the stock charger back on in the mean time. It's definitely neutered at the moment lol

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Just look at that lonely old speed sensor port. When is someone going to spend the money for one? It would be nice to see where these things are hitting on the map.

I don't need another gauge...... I dont need another gauge.......

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score

I just want to get it in the truck, I didn't even think about a speed sensor.. googling now lol

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I plotted it out as best as I could, I think I still have them at work. If I manage to get my a$$ to work, I'll post them up.

DAQ80

Reaction score
I want to do the same so bad, wish I didn’t have to deal with California smog check!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online