Need new rear axle, swap with new?

campbellflage

Reaction score
Hey all,
Long story short, the wife and I got t boned by a lady who ran a red light, insurance just gave the green light to fix the truck. I need a new rear axle. I have a 2000 f350 drw with 4.10s, and I run 10 lug conversion adapters for 22.5s. Since I have to get a new axle anyways any thoughts on different types of axles (years vs limited slip, non limited slip). Pretty sure if I go with newer year axles I would have to source another set of adapters so not sure if I want to go that route. But it seems like there is 20 different types of axles for this year. What would you guys go with? It's a daily driver, minimal power mods. Thanks

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
For that year im pretty sure there was only 1 axle choice for the DRW trucks. Now carrier options there was probably two. Open and limited slip. Now expect any axle that you should get to be rebuilt or at least checked out. If you are running 22.5 wheels a gear change would probably be in order as well. I know the 05+ rear axles are a different face to face dimension.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

campbellflage

Reaction score
Definitely will be rebuilt before use. Searching on car-part.com is crazy lots of axle options. Any position on open vs limited slip?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Years ago, I bought a sterling axle with a detroit from these guys in Florida, super nice guys, shipped up here to PA.

http://differentialeng.com/Home.htm

They also at my request, shimmed the front pinion, instead of using a crush collar. Probably the sterlings biggest issue. Point being, they are good guys to deal with and should be able to fix you up with a new d80. Definitely worth a phone call. They know what they are doing.

Latest posts