im stumped on this one boys

co04cobra

Reaction score
From what I have seen before the cct and rotational velocity test are very lax on what it lets pass.

Yes I use them all the time, but find lots and lots of issues that they let pass.

And it won't matter on dpc code if you just want to test with it. Basically any auto or manual PCM will work 99-01.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
From what I have seen before the cct and rotational velocity test are very lax on what it lets pass.

Yes I use them all the time, but find lots and lots of issues that they let pass.

And it won't matter on dpc code if you just want to test with it. Basically any auto or manual PCM will work 99-01.
i understand but i even looked down each pushrod hole for the gasket to be torn to rule that out. none of the pushrods rubbed or tore the gasket. i watched each injector spit oil out. i will let him know that any pcm from 99 to 01 will work for testing. i think that any auto pcm will work in a standard trans truck but not vise versa so that shouldnt matter but what about all the additional stuff like cruise and power windows and what not?

something new to add is that he can't get the alternator to charge now. it was weak when i got there and we had the charger on it so i didnt think much of it. cuz wirh the charger on it, it stayed above 14v. well i guess now it wont stay up or charge at all. he went and got a new/reman and tgat one is not charging either so he took the alternator to a guy down the road that rebuilds starters and alternators and had him check it out. he said it worked great for him and even watched the guy test it and it was up around 14.5v.. so back he went and a few phone calls to that guy cuz it was still not charging and i guess the signal/exciter wire voltage isnt sufficient enough to tell it to charge.....

i was always told and even verified myself that the little plug in the alternators where just for reference and nothing to do with it charging or not. i have unpluged mine before and it never changed voltage. think my 01 or my brothers 02 had one of those wires broke and it still charged.. so either mine where a fluke or his is really ***ed up..

but that isnt making it run like it is because i had it over 14.2v when i was there..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
i understand but i even looked down each pushrod hole for the gasket to be torn to rule that out. none of the pushrods rubbed or tore the gasket. i watched each injector spit oil out. i will let him know that any pcm from 99 to 01 will work for testing. i think that any auto pcm will work in a standard trans truck but not vise versa so that shouldnt matter but what about all the additional stuff like cruise and power windows and what not?

something new to add is that he can't get the alternator to charge now. it was weak when i got there and we had the charger on it so i didnt think much of it. cuz wirh the charger on it, it stayed above 14v. well i guess now it wont stay up or charge at all. he went and got a new/reman and tgat one is not charging either so he took the alternator to a guy down the road that rebuilds starters and alternators and had him check it out. he said it worked great for him and even watched the guy test it and it was up around 14.5v.. so back he went and a few phone calls to that guy cuz it was still not charging and i guess the signal/exciter wire voltage isnt sufficient enough to tell it to charge.....

i was always told and even verified myself that the little plug in the alternators where just for reference and nothing to do with it charging or not. i have unpluged mine before and it never changed voltage. think my 01 or my brothers 02 had one of those wires broke and it still charged.. so either mine where a fluke or his is really ***ed up..

but that isnt making it run like it is because i had it over 14.2v when i was there..

IIRC on these for the 7.3 and 6.0 you can run a single wire and that one wire is to the dash only. When I was talking w/ Mike Singer he was saying the PCM does not control the alternator. I could be miss remembering BUT I have a single wire on my 6.0 and it's hot only when keyed.

And when my 2002 7.3 had issues CCT weren't too bad but it ended up being a broken ring or two which was found doing a compression test.

Also when I swapped motors I went new on a lot of items including the valve cover harness and one of the new ones cr@pped out after a few days. Ran like sh$t, swapped the old one back in on and problem fixed.

If you have access to an IDM and PCM I'd swap out one at a time and go there as well. Attached is an IDM trouble shooting.

Attachments

• IDM test.pdf
    203.7 KB · Views: 101

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
IIRC on these for the 7.3 and 6.0 you can run a single wire and that one wire is to the dash only. When I was talking w/ Mike Singer he was saying the PCM does not control the alternator. I could be miss remembering BUT I have a single wire on my 6.0 and it's hot only when keyed.

And when my 2002 7.3 had issues CCT weren't too bad but it ended up being a broken ring or two which was found doing a compression test.

Also when I swapped motors I went new on a lot of items including the valve cover harness and one of the new ones cr@pped out after a few days. Ran like sh$t, swapped the old one back in on and problem fixed.

If you have access to an IDM and PCM I'd swap out one at a time and go there as well. Attached is an IDM trouble shooting.
correct. its just key on power to the alternator. and thanks for all that.. he got an idm because someone told him to change it before he called me for help.. no change..

all these suggestions and all of them that i have come across in the past have a miss or a bad idle or you can definitely tell something is wrong just by listening to it.. this truck purrs like a kitten when it has the performance tun in it up to about 1400 rpm and thats when pulse width goes through the roof at over 4msec.. that is higher then most injectors need to completely empty let alone bone stock injectors..

powerlifter405

Reaction score
correct. its just key on power to the alternator. and thanks for all that.. he got an idm because someone told him to change it before he called me for help.. no change..

all these suggestions and all of them that i have come across in the past have a miss or a bad idle or you can definitely tell something is wrong just by listening to it.. this truck purrs like a kitten when it has the performance tun in it up to about 1400 rpm and thats when pulse width goes through the roof at over 4msec.. that is higher then most injectors need to completely empty let alone bone stock injectors.

Np,

on the IDM using the guide can help trouble shoot the harness.
If the pw is messed up can it be an PCM issue?

co04cobra

Reaction score
Is it really worth it to not run a compression test just to rule it out?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Np,

on the IDM using the guide can help trouble shoot the harness.
If the pw is messed up can it be an PCM issue?
i would think that it is pcm related but without swapping it to try or sending it out to get tested, there is no way to tell..
Is it really worth it to not run a compression test just to rule it out?
if you knew the "askhole" i was dealing with then you would understand. at this point im doing it for my self reassurance since he towed the truck to ford and they checked/scanned and told him everything that i have already told him even after i told him it was a waist of time.. i have been in back to work in ny so i dont have my hands on it..

but with that said, how would bad compression command over 4msec of pulse width before 1500rpm?

another thing is that he did mention the ither day that when he went to pull valve covers off after the issue happened is that the 10mm bolt for the harnes over drivers vc was tight. like by the sounds of it hand tight.. so im not sure if that would fry the pcm or not. i would think that siuld *** up the idm or injector harnes more then the rest..

Strokersace

Reaction score
I put money on Pcm or idm. Even if it was something mechanical like rigs, bad Injector cups, copper washers, etc it doesn't explain the electronic change in variables.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I put money on Pcm or idm. Even if it was something mechanical like rigs, bad Injector cups, copper washers, etc it doesn't explain the electronic change in variables.
exactly my thoughts.. . and the fact that it starts so well and purrs like a kitten at idle.. starts and idles better then my dually whrn it is running right. lol. idm was swapped with another one and no change so that is ok.. i think.... lol.. and buzz tests great. so i would think it is ok..

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
wow... just ***in wow... i had no idea, whatso***inever, that 21 gallon of gas can still smell like diesel fuel and make the pw freak out like it was!

final verdict - gasoline in the fuel tank

the fuel still smelled and felt and tasted like diesel..

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
What the heck? How did you find that out? Did he admit to it finally?
took it to another ford dealer and they where stumped also. they dropped the tank to check for contaminants and it smelled way more like gas. poured some in a bowl of some sort and through a match in it and it lit up. not smothered out like diesel fuel would do..

live life full throttle

Strokersace

Reaction score
took it to another ford dealer and they where stumped also. they dropped the tank to check for contaminants and it smelled way more like gas. poured some in a bowl of some sort and through a match in it and it lit up. not smothered out like diesel fuel would do..

live life full throttle
That sucks!

What a goose chase...

Latest posts

Members online