Factory window tint level?

Jake

Reaction score
I have a 15 Platinum, does anybody know what the factory tint levels are on this truck?

I'm going to have the front windows done darker, the back windows are just fine. The tint place is out of 30% which is legal in Texas. They have 20%, I'm ok with just a bit darker if it is not darker than the back windows.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jake

Reaction score
I'm going to get it done tomorrow. We will see.

JRLott

Reaction score
You'll likely fail inspection with the 20%. Front side windows must allow 25% light transmission.

Jake

Reaction score
Texas is 30%, he put 20% on and it matches the back. Looks great.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good brand of tint? Or what have yall used that has worked out well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

PDT1081

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good brand of tint? Or what have yall used that has worked out well?

I have 35% 3M Ceramic all the way around (over factory in rear), and 90% 3M Crystalline on the windshield. Only regret is not going 15% and 70%.

JRLott

Reaction score
Texas is 30%, he put 20% on and it matches the back. Looks great.i

So...you're saying you put tint on that allows less than the legal light transmission by 10%. According to DPS the legal light transmission is 25% as in the below screen shot.

While I thinks it's a completely stupid and useless law, you'll likely fail inspection. I'd love to have 20% up front, and at least some on the windshield.
IMG_1627.jpg

Jake

Reaction score
Yeah you have the proof, I was wrong, I thought it was 30%. I had 20% on the 2000 from 2000 till about 2013 when the truck was broken into, the shop that replaced the glass tinted them to legal. On the new truck I'll roll the dice till then. Between the 20% and the 20% visor that's 2" below the as1 line we will see how long it lasts.

Looks damn good and it's just dark enough!

JRLott

Reaction score
Definitely wish you the best of luck. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have none at all. I would love to have 20% up front with 10-15% on the entire windshield, but I know it'd be wasted money at inspection time, if not sooner with the law around here. I get stopped enough as it is. LOL.

Edit: Most shops will only go to 30% because the glass blocks just enough to drop a percent or so and fail. Then they have to deal with unhappy customers. So, depending on what the factory glass actually blocks, you can't legally get to 25%. It'd be nice if a tint manufacturer would produce a 27ish percent film. Yeah, it's only a few percent, but it'd be nice.

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
I've ran 5% everywhere for 20 years, been stopped once, paid the $120 ticket and moved on.

20% may match on the outside, but it never matches on the inside which drives my ocd through the roof i did 20% on all windows in my '15 tahoe, looks perfect inside and out factory tint didn't make the back much darker than the front at all.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I have 35% 3M Ceramic all the way around (over factory in rear), and 90% 3M Crystalline on the windshield. Only regret is not going 15% and 70%.
Does the Crystalline help with the radiant heat that much? I was watching some youtube on it and how it performs.

Jomax

Reaction score
Does the Crystalline help with the radiant heat that much? I was watching some youtube on it and how it performs.

It's helped me in AZ on my truck. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PDT1081

Reaction score

Yes. It still gets warm inside the truck, but it's not nearly as much as without. It also cuts down a lot of glare.

Latest posts

Members online