Speedometer not working

chris1978

Reaction score
Hey all

Having an issue with my e99 not displaying any speed on the speedo. Replaced VSS (Old one had a lot of filings on it but tone ring looked okay), ohmed out wiring from VSS to ABS module. No shorts to each other or to ground and no breaks in either wire.

I have speed displayed when I log data on AE and have a P0500 VSS code that keeps returning after I clear it. Had an ABS light on this morning but that was a missing ground under the drivers side battery.

The only thing I havent tried is replacing the ABS module under the battery. Is there anyway to test this without replacing the part?

Last edited:

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Sorry man, no help here. I've fought this for years in my e99, same symptoms as yours. Finally just gave up and use the gps speedo in Torque Pro. Not terribly accurate, but good enough for me. I never replaced the ABS module under the tray though. That's a thought.

chris1978

Reaction score
Sorry man, no help here. I've fought this for years in my e99, same symptoms as yours. Finally just gave up and use the gps speedo in Torque Pro. Not terribly accurate, but good enough for me. I never replaced the ABS module under the tray though. That's a thought.
Odometer work on yours too?

I can see my trip meter counting over tenths when I took it out for a short uninsured trip around the block...

I'll swap the abs module out of the farm truck and see what happens.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

chris1978

Reaction score
Check the front ABS sensors.
Only have RABS on this truck. Only the vacuum line and brake line doing to the hubs.

Changed out the RABS module with another unit but unless it's nfg as well, I'm down to replacing the cluster...

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Odometer work on yours too?

I can see my trip meter counting over tenths when I took it out for a short uninsured trip around the block...

I'll swap the abs module out of the farm truck and see what happens.

Nope, odometer does not work.

Arisley

Reaction score
I missed the part about the odometer working. If it is working but the speedo is not, it is the speedometer itself.

chris1978

Reaction score
Sold the truck yesterday so it's the new owner's problem now.

Officially out of the 7.3 game now.