'13 6.7 Trans issues

RyanD

Reaction score
Guys,

Today while running around for short trips, my tranny temperature spiked to 245 before I noticed. It started to whine with RPM. I stopped for about 20 minutes, and when I got back in the truck it was down to 214, then jumped to 232, where it stayed for the short trip home. I checked the fluid and it was good, no burning smell, nothing odd.

The whole time the truck shifted and performed fine. I should also add that until that quick drive home, the truck had been trying to complete a regen. Seems like once the regen stopped, temps dropped.

I am going to take it to my guy on Monday, but I'm anxious now as to what it could be.

Truck has 74K miles and this is the first time it's done this.

Thanks,
Ryan

sootie

Reaction score
Check the coolant level in your secondary system. The overflow bottle located on the passenger side of the fan shroud.

RyanD

Reaction score
Wow - bone dry - I know I have the radiator leak but didn't think it was that bad.

I can't get the cap off the overflow bottle - any tips?

RyanD

Reaction score
Wow - bone dry - I know I have the radiator leak but didn't think it was that bad.

RyanD

Reaction score

Had a real blonde moment with the cap - got it off, used the rest of the coolant I had on hand it barely comes into the overfill bottle. Will pick some coolant up from Ford on Monday.

Should I be worried about damage to the tranny when the temp spiked that high? I suppose I am accelerating my plan to drain/flush/fill it at this point. Also, add a radiator to my list.

Thanks sootie, you saved my weekend!

sootie

Reaction score
I know with the older fluids it was recommended to change them if they went above 240. I think the newer fluids are better though. Especially if the trans didn't slip, I wouldn't worry too much.

Make sure you isolate the radio leak because there are two entirely separate coolant systems on your truck

RyanD

Reaction score
Ah, thanks.

I know the primary radiator has a leak (I can see it, drivers side corner) - might be time to pull the grille and start inspecting hoses.

RyanD

Reaction score
I was lured to a local Autozone that claimed they had Ford Orange in stock - they only had Gold.

I went ahead and bought some universal 50/50 but haven't put any in yet - I wanted to check and see if it was safe to use first. Is it OK in a pinch?

RyanD

Reaction score
I was lured to a local Autozone that claimed they had Ford Orange in stock - they only had Gold.

I went ahead and bought some universal 50/50 but haven't put any in yet - I wanted to check and see if it was safe to use first. Is it OK in a pinch?

RyanD

Reaction score
Sorry for being schizo about all of this - did some research and found that the orange Prestone Dex Cool meets the spec for Ford Orange. Half a gallon later and it looks like the issue has gone away.

Next plans are to get it to Ford to do a full flush/fill/inspection of the secondary system to identify any leaks. I suspect it has been dry for awhile now, because my normal commute barely warms up the engine/trans. Yesterday, lots of low speed creeping brought the problem to light.

Latest posts