New to 'strokes, seems to be running crazy hot

cptmoney

Reaction score
So I've had an '04 Powerstroke (with a built 6.0) for a little over two years now. Rarely drive her, to be honest - just when I need to shuffle stiff around and what not. Haven't put 15k on her in two+ years. She's literally performed flawlessly for the entire time - but I still have concerns.

When I'm towing, she can get hot - real hot. Wondering what I should be trying.

Exhaust temps can hit 1300+ at the slightest uphill. I usually downshift or drop a gear, push a little more air, and she cools down to 1000-1100 pretty quickly. That's not my biggest worry, however.

The darn water temps can get to 230+ before I even know what's going on if conditions are right (or wrong!). For example, today I towed a half-ton pickup on a car hauler trailer. Outside temps are pretty hot here right now, well over 90 in the heart of the day.... So it's a hot one. My oil temps get to 225, and the water can hit 230 in a heartbeat. I've never once heard the fam clutch come on - ever.

Radiator is new, oil cooler is new - heck, I'd say almost the ENTIRE power train is new or rebuilt.... So what gives? Why is she running so hot?

She never spews coolant, and will cool down on the level spots, but 220 is almost a given, and 230+ is not out of the ordinary. Today she was a stone's throw from 240, and I just about wet my pants. That's scary hot in the gas world. Is that normal to diesel folks?

I appreciate your input on all of this. I'm a rookie to all of this, but am willing to learn. I love this truck, and she'll pull like there's no tmrw..... But she gets crazy not while she's at it. Where would you start looking first?

sootie

Reaction score
What mods are done to the truck? Who's tunes? What turbo? What injectors?

Ya that's waaaaaaaaaaay too hot on the oil & water temsp

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I would check the fan clutch, try commanding it on, see if it actually turns on. May have a water pump that chit the impeller too. Check the heater hoses when its over heating, if they are slightly warm, but not hot as hell, you probably chit the impeller.

cptmoney

Reaction score
What mods are done to the truck? Who's tunes? What turbo? What injectors?

Ya that's waaaaaaaaaaay too hot on the oil & water temsp

Hmmm - all good questions. Not sure I can answer them, however.

I believe she's wearing a Sinister turbo. not sure about any of the rest of it.

Monitoring temps with an Edge Attitude, as seen here:

53430f03f9eb6e0d6770daea4fbfba79.jpg
60afa7f87c95733ffa4c82b66c53356f.jpg

Honestly, no idea about injectors, and I just ise the Edge to adjust fuel needs as I best see fit. I had it on "tow" mode when I was hauling the other pickup.

sootie

Reaction score
Ditch the crap tuning, it's not helping your situation at all.

Get an SCT with custom tunes from gear head or one of the other reputable 6.0 tuners. You can still use your edge as just a monitor.

See how the truck reacts and go from there .

Hard to diagnose when we have no idea what's done to the truck.

cptmoney

Reaction score
When I had just started it today, I took a peek in on the fan - and it was already running. Looks electric. There goes the fan clutch thought.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
When I had just started it today, I took a peek in on the fan - and it was already running. Looks electric. There goes the fan clutch thought.

Not quite. Its an electric over mechanical fan. Fan is commanded x amount of duty cycle vs rpm depending on temps. When it turns on it sounds like the truck just gained 2000 rpm. Used to have a lot of customers complain that it seemed like the trans was slippimg based on sound when the fan would kick on. There was a tsb or ssm about it.

cptmoney

Reaction score
So - I've got to start the list of exactly what's been done to the truck...

I bought if from a close relative, so finding out the details shouldn't take more than a phone call or two. I'll start with that. I should have done this two years ago, but I just never got around to it. Im guessing that a lot of it we can chase down through pics and part numbers - but that some things won't be quite so easy - such as injectors.

I'll snap a few "under the hood" pics tomorrow and we'll see what we can get sorted out.

And hey - I REALLY appreciate the help with all of this. Thank you all very much.

cptmoney

Reaction score
Sounds like a fan clutch issue. It will always look like it's turning, as it is, but it isn't engaged.

Could I hear it when it's actually engaged?

Past fan clutches (in other gas vehicles that I've owned) sounded like a bear coming to life - you KNEW when they were engaged. I've never heard this one roar to life like that. Ever. Wondering if it's working at all.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
you will know when it comes on. They are loud. Check for nicks in the harness going to the fan clutch. Also I hate this but when you get over about 30mph the fan wont engage all the way. I always install a BD mechanical fan clutch adapter on trucks that see a lot of towing duty.

cptmoney

Reaction score
you will know when it comes on. They are loud. Check for nicks in the harness going to the fan clutch. Also I hate this but when you get over about 30mph the fan wont engage all the way. I always install a BD mechanical fan clutch adapter on trucks that see a lot of towing duty.

What does the mechanical fan clutch adapter do? Make it more of a mechanical fan as opposed to the electric fan? I'm interested. I'd better look into this - at least as a start....

More details on the power train itself coming up -

cptmoney

Reaction score
So I changed the oil this afternoon, and snapped a few under hood pics. Here's what I'm working with:

458fe0ce8ccb4948299525b264073467.jpg
51fbaa2a1069efb1056d268b05b8c7ec.jpg
f6495937480e29a4141acec9423d0487.jpg
56c50386b942fa9effe63c15001a6ada.jpg
440d5d100087b991656960d4165b81a5.jpg
3d08ff0a7268bdedb40fb9402210fbbd.jpg

I know - she's dusty as can be at the moment..... But once I get the air filter put back together I'll give her a quick bath and she'll be shined up once again.

Can you see anything that stands out, as far as mods are concerned? Sinister turbo, I believe it's 4" pipe down and back all the way, wide open - no cat, no muffler. Snow Performance methanol injection, S&B cold air intake/air filter. Those are the few things I know off the top of my head.

How about this oil filter; it says Pure Power:

3afd47227d6814d41d40a32a4f0e31f6.jpg
4672c4f62681084c1dff89bdd7fbcf78.jpg

Any thoughts? That's a little something to get my list started.....

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
What does the mechanical fan clutch adapter do? Make it more of a mechanical fan as opposed to the electric fan? I'm interested. I'd better look into this - at least as a start....

More details on the power train itself coming up -

It replaces the factory clutch with a 7.3 clutch so it's all mechanical.

scparrish

Reaction score
When the fan kicks in on these trucks they sound like a dump truck, it's loud. I am about to pull the mechanical fan off because of that.

cptmoney

Reaction score
Do I just need a new fan/fan clutch? Could it be that simple?

Can I manually make this electric fan clutch kick on? How do I test my existing setup?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score

Can I manually make this electric fan clutch kick on? How do I test my existing setup?

With the ids, or simlar type scan tools, you can command it on and verify its working propely. It may be as simple as a fan clutch.

bismic

Reaction score

You can make the OEM clutch kick on manually. It is an easy mod. Maybe that's a way to test it.

Latest posts

Members online