Trailer brake controller problem

FSJPat

Reaction score
Last year, I started getting a "Trailer Brake Module Fault" warning whenever I would start my truck. This is a stock trailer brake controller on a 2008 F450. Checked the plug, checked the wiring, no sign of any problems. Replaced the pressure switch on the master cylinder, no change. The trailer brakes worked fine also, whether pulling my 7K carhauler or my 16K fifth wheel. Just kept hitting reset to erase the warning.

Last month, I hooked up to move my fifth wheel to a new spot, and there was no progression on the trailer brakes. As soon as I touch the pedal, it is full on when using the brake pedal. If I use the hand control to apply the trailer brakes, it applies the brakes progressively.

At this point, I think I might just need to replace the controller module. Is the dealership the only place to buy a new module? Or am I better off getting an aftermarket controller?

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
The factory controller can be bought on ebay and amazon. A good aftermarket unit will be more pricey, but often have more features and more fine adjustments. I know mine does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BS Hauler

Reaction score
If you do some searching there is a thread about a common solder joint coming loose in the factory controller. It will fix these problems with them.