Toasted another "Built" transmission...

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Did you find anything out today?

No, they were being thorough and checked the wiring harness, checked the speed sensor against a known good one (speed sensor code was all that populated). While testing, they did note that it was venting fluid thru the vent tube, so they suspect the TC is trashed, but by the way it has been acting and shifting, and the amount of material in the pan, they a pretty sure the direct drive clutch pack is toast.

Trans is coming out today.

Extended Power

Reaction score
No, they were being thorough and checked the wiring harness, checked the speed sensor against a known good one (speed sensor code was all that populated). While testing, they did note that it was venting fluid thru the vent tube, so they suspect the TC is trashed, but by the way it has been acting and shifting, and the amount of material in the pan, they a pretty sure the direct drive clutch pack is toast.

Trans is coming out today.

Well, hope it's not too serious, and your back on the road soon.
I'm scrap'n every tune I've had before now, and starting over.
No more swapping tunes every time I drive the truck....

sootie

Reaction score
Well, hope it's not too serious, and your back on the road soon.
I'm scrap'n every tune I've had before now, and starting over.
No more swapping tunes every time I drive the truck....

Skip ficm tuning altogether as well...

sootie

Reaction score
Just for troubleshooting purposes or are we saying people starting to relate trans issues to ficm tuning?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Nothing to do with trans. I was referring to all the other issues he was having.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Alright....so I'm at work now, so that explains why I don't just take the bolts to a bolt supply house and get new ones....

I have been looking for the size of bolts used on the bellhousing of the transmission. I don't really care about the length, as I'm going longer anyways...
I want to make a couple of "pin bars" to help me slide the transmission back into place, without a bunch of fiddle phukin.
Pretty sure they are metric, but I'm not sure.
Any help on the size and thread of the mounting bolts?

Zeb

Reaction score
Alright....so I'm at work now, so that explains why I don't just take the bolts to a bolt supply house and get new ones....

I have been looking for the size of bolts used on the bellhousing of the transmission. I don't really care about the length, as I'm going longer anyways...
I want to make a couple of "pin bars" to help me slide the transmission back into place, without a bunch of fiddle phukin.
Pretty sure they are metric, but I'm not sure.
Any help on the size and thread of the mounting bolts?

M10x1.5

Extended Power

Reaction score
Ready to go in now!

4uSxO6B.jpg

Extended Power

Reaction score
Next glitch...no torque converter studs/bolts...Easter long weekend...still sitting on the ground...lol

What is everyone using for DPC converter bolts?
Will grade 8 bolts be enough? (3/8" x 24 fine thread)
Is there an ARP kit that can be used?
I'm running a billet fleplate too if that matters.

Zeb

Reaction score
Next glitch...no torque converter studs/bolts...Easter long weekend...still sitting on the ground...lol

What is everyone using for DPC converter bolts?
Will grade 8 bolts be enough? (3/8" x 24 fine thread)
Is there an ARP kit that can be used?
I'm running a billet fleplate too if that matters.

Phil has ALWAYS sent me studs and mechanical lock nuts.
Grade 8 would be just fine. I prefer studs and nuts, simply because I think it makes assembly a little easier than bolts.
If you’re using a billet flex plate you could use the 6.4 pattern and have 8 fasteners instead of 6. Never had a problem with 6, but more fasteners gives some people a warm fuzzy feeling.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I picked up two sets of ARP torque converter bolts.
They are 3/8" x 24 tpi. (Fine thread)
They are the right size, but they may be a bit long, as they bottom out before they would tighten up against the flex plate. (Maybe an 1/8" too long)
I could just add another washer behind them, to take up the extra room, or ?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
They are the right size, but they may be a bit long, as they bottom out before they would tighten up against the flex plate. (Maybe an 1/8" too long)
Washer or cut them off.. only options you have unless you buy the propper length.

live life full throttle

Zeb

Reaction score

I don’t think stacked washers would be a good idea. I’d cut them with a bandsaw. No heat to mess up the temper that way.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I measured the thickness of the flexplate, and the depth of the threaded holes in the converter.
The ARP bolts are the correct length, as there is only about 0.080" to 0.100" before the studs bottom out in the converter.

Got the transmission and transfer case mounted up against the engine, but...I got pulled off that job again to help move my Son out of the house, as he starts his new job next week. (2 1/2 hours from home.)

Hopefully, I can work on it again on Monday.