Possible 7.3 New Guy

rman

Reaction score
So I sold my 6.0 a couple weeks ago to pay some bills, and really "need" a truck. Long story short, I'm looking at the OBS.

Have my eyes on a 95 F350 4x4 CCLB. Almost 280k. Owner says he's had it less than 6 mos, swears no leaks, new lift pump, afe intake, edge revolver , 3" downpipe/ 4" straight pipe. Asking $5k, currently his daily driver.

1) What should I look out for?
2) If it drives/runs fine, what should be first on the list of getting her freshened up?

Future plans would be as high as I can get it before sacrificing towing and requiring driveshafts. Probably 37s? Can't really find many lifts.

Would like to get a bigger exhaust and as much power as I can before getting too crazy. Wouldn't rule out fuel/sticks/turbo in the long term.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Reaction score
If its an automatic, check the condition of the fluid. If it's a 5-speed, does it still have a Dual Mass Flywheel or has it gotten a Single Mass conversion? I would save the money on an exhaust if it already has the DP and 4" (you really don't need more than that). Cheers!

rman

Reaction score
Check for blowby
if it has it, I'm guessing pass?
If its an automatic, check the condition of the fluid. If it's a 5-speed, does it still have a Dual Mass Flywheel or has it gotten a Single Mass conversion? I would save the money on an exhaust if it already has the DP and 4" (you really don't need more than that). Cheers!
will do. the way I figure, with fuel/stick/turbo in 4 or 5 years, I should probably add trans to that budget. With just a tune, I'd obviously hope it'll last long enough and be able to handle pulling 2-3k every blue moon

Seems like shopping for a bicycle compared to the 6.0.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

Reaction score
as far as the exhaust, is a 3" downpipe sufficient?

i prefer the biggest available purely for sound. I'm pretty juvenile in that regard

Sent from my SIG Sauer

wildbill963258

Reaction score
as far as the exhaust, is a 3" downpipe sufficient?

i prefer the biggest available purely for sound. I'm pretty juvenile in that regard

Sent from my SIG Sauer

3" is as big as you can get for Downpipe on an obs, I installed DP on both of mine and they both barely fit in fact on my current one I had to massage the firewall and cut the end of the DP off to get it to fit.

Reaction score
Core Support bolts in. Getting the correct one for a diesel is the harder part (although I haven't kept up so there may be more options now). Cheers!

rman

Reaction score
yeah, i see that lmc finally makes a correct one for $400 and it's somewhat of a time consuming job. fender has a spot of rust and the brake booster is covered in surface rust, so who knows where this truck is originally from (I'm in Fort Worth).

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

Reaction score
welp, that one backed out on me. not gonna even see it.

These are getting hard to find with my limited budget - about $5k.
I might end up getting a 2v 5.4 F150 unless I find a screaming deal on a 3v. Just too many timing issues.

Really starting to regret selling my 6.0, but bills had to be paid.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

Reaction score
Try Facebook market place that seems to (at least in my area) get updated more than cl
that's where I found it, I'd say 90% of what I've found is from there. A little difficult too search, the filters are wildly innacurate.

There's a decent lower mileage 95 CCLB but 2wd. for $6200ish

Also a BEAUTIFUL 97 4x4 CCLB clean clean clean but it's a 460. Which I would love in a bronco or mustang lol. Still not horrible.

Also entertaining a 183k 2002 F150 4x4. The 2v 5.4 is cake to maintain and the interior literally looks new. Totally different beast but I'm familiar with the platform.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

Reaction score
The 3v 5.4 has a lot of issues also
yeah, I'd have to get a great deal on one to consider. We're on our 2nd one, and it needs chain tensioners. Normally I'd do the whole. timing job, but we're only trying to stretch it another 2 more years. Our first one was trouble free. This one, not too bad. Needed COPS and now chain tensioners. Other small things like the heater hose fittings.

The 2v is way easier. Just spits spark plugs, as long as you torque them properly it they should be fine. Should lol.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Oh. They are our family 05 3v 5.4. Broke half of the spark plugs off when taking them out. We used Accel coil packs and here recently it started to miss some again

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Anything that is turbocharged and has a "high flow" cone filter needs the turbo checked. Look at the fins to see if it is wore off or chips taken out of it or dirt buildup in the intake or compressor inlet. Also check for shaft play...

I had a 99 half ton with a 5.4 in it. Id own one again. Lol

live life full throttle

rman

Reaction score
No phasers on a 2v...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
correctamundo.
Oh. They are our family 05 3v 5.4. Broke half of the spark plugs off when taking them out. We used Accel coil packs and here recently it started to miss some again
there's a secret and it's insane. Did ours and didn't break a single one.

Soak plugs overnight with Deep Creep
Next morning, reassemble and start the engine to warm it up

Here's the fun part. Zip them out with an impact wrench.

General consensus is OE COPS or nothing. I took a gamble and got a set for $50 in amazon that seemed to work. But lately my wife has been complaining of loss of power. Might be time to pony up for Motorcraft.
Anything that is turbocharged and has a "high flow" cone filter needs the turbo checked. Look at the fins to see if it is wore off or chips taken out of it or dirt buildup in the intake or compressor inlet. Also check for shaft play...

I had a 99 half ton with a 5.4 in it. Id own one again. Lol

live life full throttle
That one not only had an intake, covered in dust, but the filter minder was missing.

Found a nice 2002 2wd. Might fit the bill, although I do love 4x4.
Also browsing the bulletproof 6.0s but Lord that's a gamble as well. At least with mine I spent almost 10 months collecting parts, updated EVERYTHING, including fresh heads. I knew exactly what was done.

I used to think the powdered metal rods were a negative. Turns out 400hp takes quite a bit of work and I'll probably not have to worry about it. The 4r100 is a bigger concern.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Latest posts

Members online