Aftermarket EGT Probe W/ Factory Pigtail

Roccafellas

Reaction score
Hey guy's can you possibly help me? I recently made some custom up pipes for my 6.0 manifolds..I Broke the factory egt sensor in the process.. so I cut the probe off and kept the pigtail (male) end.

My buddy went ahead without me there and to try and help me out cut the old bung off the up pipe and welded a standard 1/8" Bung..thinking that an aftermarket probe is smaller, and a bung is $1 and a ebay probe is $9.. and that I wouldn't want to buy another factory probe..

So....I had no choice but to order an aftermarket ebay probe because the factory is a bit bigger and wouldn't fit in the new bung.. plus he is right and factory is quite more expensive than the ebay probes.

I just installed it tonight
Probe fits in the up pipe nice
I tried to splice it into the factory pigtail(male) that I kept.. (just wrap wires together and shrink tube...I noticed the ends of the ebay probe were not (pardon me here I'm not super smart here) regular wires? They were two small pieces of metal
Looked like two pieces of mig wire
Not a bunch of thin wire twisted like the factory plug wire..

Anyways I wrapped them together

I plugged it into the connector on the truck (female) and I turned the truck on..
My DashDaq (*******) was beeping and the egt gauge was max'd out at 2000
I unplugged it, and it went cold like 150* probably minimum input..
Switched the wires around and it did the same
14b2dab9048c2d56d0572eef5d66627a.jpg
a43b0b457fac43e364c0ff77093c7f03.jpg

Am I screwed? Do I need to either buy a new gauge.. ebay gauge to go with ebay probe-rather this..

Or a new factory sensor to plug back into the harness.. but then rewelding a new bung-1% chance I'll end up doing this lol..

Or do I need a diode in between? Or is wrapping them together not enough or messing with resistance..!!

Please help!! I tried to be as clear as possible!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
That will never work. Either get the right size bung and factory probe, or get the PCH board that matches the aftermarket probe and figure out how to view that pid on your monitor

Roccafellas

Reaction score
If I were to buy the gauge that was supposed to come with it on ebay.. and was done with it.
Could I drive the truck with the p040D code
(Factory egt sensor unplugged) would it limit me in any way? Throw a limp mode? Dont care for the CEL. I took it up and down the street. Seemed to drive fine..
Im actually pretty F'kn upset he did that.

Roccafellas

Reaction score
8ef9da492beb40c6267dcc0256e0f774.jpg

I bought a new sensor.. and a fitting. 1/4" to 1/8" this should work.. it's brass can I use this?

Latest posts

Members online