2003 F-350 6.0 stalls or goes into limp home mode after gunning the accelerator?

TX_6.0

Reaction score
I'm a noon here but old school Cummins mechanic. I've always enjoyed the Powerstroke and even owned a 7.3. I recently bought a 2003 with the 6.0 and yes I know an entirely different beast of burden. Anyways, the truck is completely stock and did not run when I bought it. So far, I have replaced the MAP sensor, FICM, ICP, and the IPR. I have also replaced both fuel filters and did an engine oil flush, filter and oil change, due to a lot of trash in the oil i.e. what appeared to be filter media material plugging up the IPR screen. I recently found that the lower driver side intercooler boot was off and the clamp missing which fixed the boost problem I was having. After replacing and fixing everything, as well as, getting the engine running. The engine was running great with plenty of power and some to spare, but just recently, if I gun the engine, 2000 rpm + shortly after the engine stalls and eventually dies losing power but still maintaining boost. Once I remove the secondary fuel filter cap and prime the fuel system it goes back to running great again until I go to pass someone 2000 rpm + and back to limp mode eventually stalling and dying. I can't find any leaks but I'm thinking its drawing air into the fuel system from somewhere. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. I don't like to give up and definitely not after making it this far going from an engine not running to this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

TX_6.0

Reaction score
I'm checking that tomorrow as soon as I get some free time. I'll let you know what I find.

TX_6.0

Reaction score
Going to check it out today. I've also noticed slow or no throttle response until the engine warms up and runs for awhile. Something I forgot to mention was when I first got ready to start the truck originally, I found that the front Banjo bolt was missing so I replaced it with the upgrade. I have not checked the rear Banjo or installed the upgraded bolt. I'm also using a Scanguage II for diagnostics and I am not getting any codes at all.

6speedsd

Reaction score
There is no rear banjo...only a plug. If the front banjo was missing, you should have had fuel squirting everywhere, and obviously no fuel to that bank of injectors. How does a banjo just go missing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TX_6.0

Reaction score
No idea but I did find the other banjo. I'm telling you guys this so called mechanic I bought the truck from was a complete idiot when it came to diesels. I have found so many things either missing or not tightened down properly. However, the truck now has both banjo's replaced with the upgrade and the truck seems to be getting better. I have not had it stall yet, fingers crossed, since finding and replacing the second banjo. If it happens again, I will be pulling the tank next weekend to check strainers but it seems to be getting plenty of fuel pressure. Thanks for all the help and ideas and I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. I bought this truck as a project and that's just what it has been but it needed and still needs lots of love to return it to its original glory. I'm just working out all the kinks before I start studding and deleting.

6speedsd

Reaction score
"Seems" to be getting enough fuel pressure is not what I'd bet the life of '$2000 worth of injectors on. Just saying....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TX_6.0

Reaction score
Oh, I've got injectors planned out I want everything right and after the way I got this truck might as well go through it all. I'm just taking a step at a time is all which no rush for me I only drive 6 miles to work, and when worst comes to worst I ride the Harley she likes attention too.

Latest posts

Members online