1997 7.3 auto trans issue

snappe20136.7

Reaction score
Hey everyone new guy here so hopefully im in the right spot. I have a 97 f350 with a 7.3 in it. Truck has 340k on it and is also 4x4. The trans has been shifting hard 1-2 2-3 since i got it. I was on my way home tonight and i hit the gas to get up a tiny incline and it downshifted and then i had no forward at all. Basically like i put the truck in neutral but it was in drive. I coasted down to the bottom of the hill and the truck died at the stop sign there (still had no forward movement). I restarted it and it moved again but even harder shifts than before and then my O/D off light started flashing. I read up a little bit and learned this is a limp mode that occurs when slippage happens i guess. Five minutes later light stopped flashing. And after driving it like that for 10 mins or so light not flashing, i got into my town and the light started flashing again and super hard shifts. I also noticed downshifts were very delayed too like the upshifts. Needless to say i made it home but has anyone ever had an experience like this before and what are common problems to make this kinda thing happen? And is a special computer required to check codes? I do have access to an updated snap on scan tool if that could check them. I have a couple good shops by me i can limp it to that could probably check the codes but if i can do it home i would rather do that. Sorry for the lengthy post but i wanted to be as specific as possible when this happened and the conditions.

Thank You!