New truck 08 450

blk99

Reaction score
Its not all official yet but i do have it in the driveway for the weekend.... Job 1 with 4.88's and 58,000 miles... So Cal truck.... Has S&B intake and a shiny aftermarket looking intake horn (i dont know 6.4's for ****) and it puffs a little black but appears to have all the stock exhaust.... No visible tuner....

I dont know **** about these newer truck so im asking for help.... Before Monday can someone either reassure me its possibly not a POS or tell me to run away??

Oh yea and it will gross 28k several times a week over passes.....

Thanks guys....

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Sounds similar to my truck. I love mine, its a beast towing.
I would post a pic of the underhood.
If the intake horn your talking about, is the same thing I am thinking it is, then it has an EGR delete, which is good but also means it has a tuner installed which would be the reason of the black puff.

blk99

Reaction score
Ok will do....

Stayed up all night reading and i couldnt find one post that didnt basically say its a ticking time bomb or a POS.... Is it really worse than yhe ole 6.0?

So far its awesome to drive even with 4.88's.... Motor is so damn quite compared to my single shot 7.3 that the RPM's dont matter!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I had a good 6.0. Only reason i sold it because it was a SRW.
The 6.4 trucks are monsters.
Stock is about like a 6.0 with a tow tune.
A 6.4 deleted with a tow tune, not many tuned up to the max stock 6.0's could hang with them. Let them take a big gasp of air and they run.
The only problems I have had with mine that was not caused by my right foot was 1 radiator. The problems I caused were a blown EGR cross over pipe and a blown driverside up pipe. Both are fixed now and the truck has more power.
The problem now is the trans. With 4.88's they dont want to downshift towing. Just think grossing what you are going over a 7% grade at the speed limit. A lot of stress on the TC lockup clutch and the Overdrive clutches.

blk99

Reaction score
Thank you for the input..... Is there shift kits or anything like that, that can be done preventatively?

blk99

Reaction score
5d0ac449b5cb447b0dc539a0be057760.jpg
a808d8fd50c76e4aa8908fe85850501b.jpg
9b83fd0bafe71d4cbfb2ffd148833777.jpg
5a384c1fc888ebf1ea4f6f2795e1f486.jpg
416c3cf19b36cb3dca51561781c8360c.jpg
a1f4322c090846e85ae20d2df2fe65a8.jpg
342f96b0b6f9b1c21f69094c88d53dbf.jpg

Can tell it had a downpipe back exhaust but they reinstalled factory because they didnt tighten it up where it met the downpipe Lol.... So exhaust would be a first cause im sure black smoke is not good for the DPF....

Big question, how do i know what tune is on it or any of that?

Noticed also there is a small leak at the back of the tranny because there is a little residue on the tranny mount....

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Its tuned. The EGR is gone. Does it sound like a hair dryer out the back? If it does then the DPF and cat are hollowed out. If not they are intact.
If its tuned, I would ask for the exhaust back. Reason is I have not read about a tuner than will leave the DPF in place and delete the EGR. I have a feeling they put the stock exhaust in and left the tuner in the truck, which is not a good thing. It will never go into regen. Nothing to worry about though if the exhaust sounds like a a hair dryer.
Before I bought it I would want the cooling system flushed. Looks a little dirty in the reservoir.
No shift kits will cure the OD Clutches or the TC Clutch, that is a rebuild.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I would also ask why they changed only 1 battery.
Looks like a clean truck though. Not beat to **** like some of them.

blk99

Reaction score
Can the tranny shifting be changed with a different tune?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Can the tranny shifting be changed with a different tune?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yes

My 08 F-350 CCSB DRW with 4.30's tows like a beast, spartan 310 tune 103,000 miles and 4900 hours no problems.

I have been through a few 6.4's most had 260K+ miles all original and haven't had any MAJOR problems and loved all of them.

All deleted tuned as soon as I got them.

Change the oil/fuel filters every 5K only with motorcraft filters , trans fluid every 25-30K.

if it doesn't have a monitor get one, have to pay attention to EOT,ECT,TFT,EGT,FRP,EBP.

You are going to hear most of the people that have problems post. You are not going to see the people that have no problems post..

blk99

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!! That makes me feel a little more at ease....

I plan to get deleted exhaust back on it ASAP and at very least, a pyro until i can recoupe some money for a nice digital readout....

Its got all the frickin power i would ever need, is it a negative to only run it with a small tow tune, like under 100?

blk99

Reaction score
Also.....
Im sure this is just as sore of a subject as it is in the 7.3 section..... What is the direction i should look towards for a readout and tune??

It must already have a tune of some sort because of the EGR stuff and black smoke with no regens so can a new tune be loaded over the current one?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!! That makes me feel a little more at ease....

I plan to get deleted exhaust back on it ASAP and at very least, a pyro until i can recoupe some money for a nice digital readout....

Its got all the frickin power i would ever need, is it a negative to only run it with a small tow tune, like under 100?

No doesn't matter power level tune if you need more power just bump it up.

Also.....
Im sure this is just as sore of a subject as it is in the 7.3 section..... What is the direction i should look towards for a readout and tune??

It must already have a tune of some sort because of the EGR stuff and black smoke with no regens so can a new tune be loaded over the current one?

Gearhead tunes on a SCT. ( http://nolimitfabrication.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=93&product_id=105 ), when you get the tuner you will have to take it to the ford dealer or anyone with IDS to get it reflashed to stock so you can load the new tunes on it.

Make sure you have the tuner with you as the truck won't run on a stock tune deleted

blk99

Reaction score
So i went for a drive in it tonight and noticed the motor stays VERY cool.... Is that good or bad?

Ambient is 70 and been driving for 15 min
b6ef040966c69c2c252b8c8597762978.jpg

And after climbing a 7% grade (empty truck) for 3-4 miles....
cc645cfab9d51e8e62c78a7146dddef0.jpg
and it quickly went back down after i crested the top....

^^^ i think it ran only a touch warmer than that the other day when i was cruising around in 102 ambient

griz700rocket

Reaction score
All good info above. 6.4s are all about preventative maintenance. I've never seen any black smoke come out of a DPF so I'm guessing it's hollowed out. Something that wasn't mentioned yet is you'll want to install a coolant filter and preferably switch it over to Cat ELC coolant (red colored). If you have the money buy a mini-maxx, MCC unlock and gearhead tunes. That will cover tuner, guages and trans shifting. Not the cheapest but by far the best option.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
EGR is deleted so thermostats are not hard at all, look down below that polished pipe, a bit to the driver/right side and you will see where the radiator hose goes into the aluminum neck, that neck holds the thermostats.

sootie

Reaction score
needs thermotats. get a good tuner like a mini maxx so you can overwrite whatever is there.

check to be sure the dpf is hollowed out.

blk99

Reaction score
I been reading that its very easy to blow head gaskets with the EGR deleted??? Is that only for guys running huge HP tunes??

Latest posts

Members online