Debating injector size

Footz09

Reaction score
Hello Guys , have a question on injector size . I have a 03 7.3 f250 4x4 with 35" tires and leveling kit . My current mods are as followed -----
38R ( will be installing RR billet wheel)
RR FRX
4" exhaust turbo back
AFE stage 2 intake
6.0 tranny cooler
Complete isspro gauge set up
DP tuner current tunes
Will be installing built trains w/stallion converter ( current trains has no issues with JW VB presently)
Debating between 160/30 and 175/80 ( please no recommendations about hybrids , not looking to wanting more later )
My truck is. PMR motor , not wanting to have a block window made :naughty:, I do not drag race or sled pull with the truck Just want a dependable 400 plus daily driver that can make good power without having to be in the hottest tune .

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
dont even think about an afe or any other cone filter.. go with the diy 6637/tymar style filter... just looked at a 7.3 this morning the owner was wondering why his turbo was making a wierd howling noise.. i popped the hood and bam, cone filter.. bet him right then and there it was a severely dusted turbo.. wish i would have gotten pictures.. it was the worst i have personally seen.. a third of the compressor wheels fins where eaten off from dust/dirt...

live life full throttle

Reaction score
I agree, get rid of the cone filter...
I personally didn't noice any difference with the billet wheel on the 38r, but it is quieter... As for injectors, Billy is right on, a 17* or better hpop for the 175/80, or just get the 160/30 s. I loved the 175/100s in the 96 I had, those and my turbo combo was an awesome towing rig, had lots of power, and egts were low and easy to manage, never really had to look at the gauge

CurtisF

Reaction score
The bigger difference between the 160/30 and 175/80 is the nozzle size.

An 80% nozzle will flow more fuel faster. When PROPERLY tuned, you should actually have lower PW and use less or about the same amount oil than a 160/30. If your HPOP can't keep up, track PW first to see if it's too wide.

A PMR motor will live with any injector, as long as the tuning keeps the cylinder pressures in check. This means limiting the fuel, especially at lower RPM's.

However, if you're wanting a "400 hp plus" truck, you need to consider if that's going to be peak power, or useable power. A smaller injector/nozzle combo might juuuuuuuuuuuust barely get you to 400hp on a perfect day, but your EGT's will be close to thermonuclear meltdown, and you can't sustain that power for nothing more than very short bursts, 1/4 mile drag racing at the most.

A larger injector/nozzle combo will make the power easier to attain, and with proper tuning.... have more useable power on tap. But the trick is in the tuning, and it's going to require live tuning and lots of patience.

As for the WW, you'd better have the turbo balanced when adding the wheel. 38R's rarely fail, but there's been a lot of them lately, and almost all of them had the WW added...... without balancing first.

CurtisF

Reaction score
dont even think about an afe or any other cone filter.. go with the diy 6637/tymar style filter... just looked at a 7.3 this morning the owner was wondering why his turbo was making a wierd howling noise.. i popped the hood and bam, cone filter.. bet him right then and there it was a severely dusted turbo.. wish i would have gotten pictures.. it was the worst i have personally seen.. a third of the compressor wheels fins where eaten off from dust/dirt...

My 02 that I just sold has had an AFE Stage II since 2008. Never once had an issue. Intake behind the filter has always passed the white glove inspection, zero dusting of the turbo. In fact, when I sold the truck the turbo still looked the same as the day I bought it, including the dabs of paint on the wheel when they balanced the assembly. That's about 160,000 miles or so with the AFE.

Lack of maintenance will dust any turbo. Or improperly installing the filter. Take your pick. But I've always liked my AFE.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
My 02 that I just sold has had an AFE Stage II since 2008. Never once had an issue. Intake behind the filter has always passed the white glove inspection, zero dusting of the turbo. In fact, when I sold the truck the turbo still looked the same as the day I bought it, including the dabs of paint on the wheel when they balanced the assembly. That's about 160,000 miles or so with the AFE.

Lack of maintenance will dust any turbo. Or improperly installing the filter. Take your pick. But I've always liked my AFE.
i have tried every brand of cone filter, oiled and dry, every one of them failed white glove inspection. and im pretty sure i can install a filter correctly... just saying, i wont ever run one ever again. not even in my 6.7... it has a bigger 6637 style filter on it.

live life full throttle

David N

Reaction score
With your PMR motor, I'd leave it just like it is.

Sitting on the side of the road with a hole in your block is no fun. Been there, done that.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
160/30 - if you don't plan on changing the HPOP
175/80 - if you plan on changing the HPOP

Billy T.
[email protected]

This is what we tell everyone that calls with your dilemma.

Can the 175's be run on all stock equipment? Sure, many do that until the other upgrades are made.

We do have a holiday weekend sale on our 160/30's. If you desire on the 175/80's just give us a call on Monday and I'm sure we can get you a good deal.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I've got a set of tim's 175/80s sitting on the back seat of my truck now. Can't wait to get them in the truck to run with the 38r. Need to order tunes from gear head but I've been busy every day since I ordered the sticks. I'll probably get them in this coming Friday.

I've already got a t500 hpop so that shouldn't be an issue. Next is a fuel system so she's covered until I get a forged rod motor done and dropped in. I've been told this injector turbo setup is awesome so I can't wait.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I don't even remember it tbh. We just moved last week end, which is one reason I haven't gotten them in yet.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Either one of those injector choices will work with your other mods. As stated though, 175/80's may call for an HPOP upgrade.

I personally like 160/30's for daily driving, towing, etc. They are the perfect fit for most guys who use their truck as it was intended. However, you will just barely touch the 400HP mark with them.

If you choose 175/80's, you may want to look at doing a full regulated return instead of just the FRx. The increase in line size helps.

Bluke

Reaction score
i have tried every brand of cone filter, oiled and dry, every one of them failed white glove inspection. and im pretty sure i can install a filter correctly... just saying, i wont ever run one ever again. not even in my 6.7... it has a bigger 6637 style filter on it.

live life full throttle

I personally don't think the 6637 can flow enough air for a 38r. I would run a good s&b setup. I just upgraded my turbo to a kc66 and I didn't like the 6637. I made a custom setup for the s&b dry filter. Works great.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I personally don't think the 6637 can flow enough air for a 38r. I would run a good s&b setup. I just upgraded my turbo to a kc66 and I didn't like the 6637. I made a custom setup for the s&b dry filter. Works great.
most dont but ask golfer from swamps what filter they run on their 7.3 builds when they are tuning on the dyno...

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.