Converting form auto to manual hubs

JD3020

Reaction score
This is for my brothers 06 F-250. Currently have an issue where the front hubs are in the auto position but aren't unlocking. We had the same issue on our 99 plow truck but it was simple enough to put in a set of Warns and be done with it. But with these 05+ axles it looks like the only option is Ford parts. So where can we source manual hubs and what is needed to swap them in?

BTW this is the 2nd set of auto hubs on this truck, with 130k miles on it. So we are not going to put another set back in. Hell if it were up to me i'd put a manual t-case in it too and ditch all this vacuum/electronic crap.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
If your wanting to go full manual, then I vote for the Dynatrac kit. Really nice quality and comes with everything to convert it over to full manual hubs. If ya want a price, shoot me a PM.

eng53ine

Reaction score
Bringing this back up, my dad is having the same issue. Cans he just throw a set of manual Warns on the truck? Will the switch still engage the 4wd when they are locked?
Thanks

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Bringing this back up, my dad is having the same issue. Cans he just throw a set of manual Warns on the truck? Will the switch still engage the 4wd when they are locked?
Thanks

Yup. In winter I usually just leave my Hubs locked and when needed flip the switch and I'm good to go

Zmann

Reaction score
what year is his truck ?
if 05 up there is only one hub other than OEM and it's a pricey Warn

or the Dynatrac but thats a whole lot of parts and $$ just to get manual Hubs

OEM works just like a manual ( specially if you defeat the vacuum signal) and if it won't unlock the Warn ( yes they make the OEM)
turn the selector to Auto - unlock a few times and land on unlock

co04cobra

Reaction score
what year is his truck ?
if 05 up there is only one hub other than OEM and it's a pricey Warn

or the Dynatrac but thats a whole lot of parts and $$ just to get manual Hubs

OEM works just like a manual ( specially if you defeat the vacuum signal) and if it won't unlock the Warn ( yes they make the OEM)
turn the selector to Auto - unlock a few times and land on unlock

What do you mean turn the selector a few times? I just assume you mean the obvious of the hub turning it from auto to unlock?

In my experience a lot of times the hub is corroded to bad to get it to turn. Usually someone has already broke the center of the hub out trying to turn it with pliers. LOL

eng53ine

Reaction score
Truck is an 06 F350 he's been messing with them. Auto feature hasn't work for quite some time. I wouldn't think oem hubs would be cheaper then the others but I haven't priced oem hubs for it. He just wants to have working hubs and isn't concerned about the auto feature.

06Amarillo

Reaction score
I don't see why you wouldn't want the auto feature. When you need 4wd it's there. And when it's not your not getting the extra wear on the front end. Nice option in my opinion.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I don't see why you wouldn't want the auto feature. When you need 4wd it's there. And when it's not your not getting the extra wear on the front end. Nice option in my opinion.

It is a nice feature WHEN it works. Problem is it rarely works.

When the vacuum doesn't work, because seals etc.. are shot or PVM doesn't work, and hubs are corroded into the "auto" position it's a PITA.

co04cobra

Reaction score
what u guys are missin is the fact the 05 up only has OEM or 1 style of Warn available
and the aftermarket Warn are over 340.00
https://www.warn.com/truck/hubs/fordSuperDuty_Hubs.jsp

the OEM is also made my warn you can even get a manual version but they are the same as the auto minus a few pieces

I do know that. If the auto hubs turn they work the same as a manual lockout hub.

The "auto" feature working long term is the downfall.

JD3020

Reaction score
Holy old post.

Anyways i guess i never followed up. We got manual Ford hubs and put in, and going on 2 years now without an issue. Hubs actually lock and unlock when you want them to. Amazing

Decker

Reaction score
I'm little confused... are you guys tossing on manual hubs from 99-04 super duty on a 05+?
I understand by doing this the auto feature would not work but still lock in the transfer case while you manually lock in the hubs.
what manual hubs you putting on the 05+?

eng53ine

Reaction score
I'm little confused... are you guys tossing on manual hubs from 99-04 super duty on a 05+?
I understand by doing this the auto feature would not work but still lock in the transfer case while you manually lock in the hubs.
what manual hubs you putting on the 05+?

Manual hubs for a 05+

chuckels

Reaction score
Sometimes the two square fuse blocks driver side under the hood when one goes out it will stay locked in four-wheel drive . just take and switch them around and see if it unlocks if it does you need a new fuse. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Members online