07 expedition gets 4bta'd

gwunter

Reaction score
Well its time fir the wife to upgrade vehicles. Bought this 07 expedition with a non working 5.4......not exactly uncommon. I thought it was just a timing tensioner/chain/phaser replacement but alas when I pulled the oil pan I found a bad thrust bearing. Unfortunately I had already bought all the parts to fix it except the main bearing failure.

I brought up a 4bta cummins swap to my wife and she said we could go for it. Any time I can donate to this project has been thrown at it.it has taken me about 1.5 months to get it to this point. I hate to be short on these posts, but that's just the way time goes. Pics kinda tell the stories.

I know some will despise the 4bt...thats fine. If ford made a smaller mechanical motor I may have tried it, but life goes on.

IMG_7896_zpslabs0ejy.jpg

ResizedImage_1411695084727_zpscorzs6dy.jpg

ResizedImage_1411695015414_zpsemwrel0t.jpg

ResizedImage_1411694965082_zpsxk6ppblh.jpg

ResizedImage_1411694977911_zpsawwi3rep.jpg

ResizedImage_1411694991529_zps2lwicq9k.jpg

ResizedImage_1411694928901_zpstnjukr9n.jpg

Converting to m5r2 manual trans. H1c turbo for now.

Big Green Monster

Reaction score
This is really neat. I was just talking to one of my friends about pulling the engine out of my 03 navigator and throwing a little diesel in it. This is the first engine that came to mind.

shmoozer

Reaction score
I think these conversions are always awesome! It'd be sweet to see an expedition with Fords little v6 powerstroke in there as well

-KCCO-

superpsd

Reaction score
Who would despise the 4bt? I have started 4bts below freezing with zero issues. They have been put in everything by now.

gwunter

Reaction score
Superpsd, I don't think some people enjoy the whole shake-rattle-n-roll from the 4b motors.I really did want to keep this ford/international based, but I also wanted to keep it simple as well..hence a non electric motor.

I plan on stripping motor to bare block tonight and hauling to machine shop tomorrow. And before someone says something I am going to brace the pass. side mount better, just wanted to make sure I could remove starter easily.

gwunter

Reaction score
My plan is to keep all the original accessories on the motor and functioning like they were designed. I'll be using original alternator and compressor. I also believe by using the 5.4 crank position sensor itll make the tach function as designed. Im using the original transfer case as well. This should simplify that part.....I hope. I made a special plate adapter to go between m5r2 and t case, just need a shaft adapter for those to mate up now. Im hoping a special disk mounted on the rear driveshaft with the right sensor looking at it will make the speedo work. I havnt researched the speedo thing extensively yet though. I think the oil pressure sensor and temp sensor will be simple. I have cut no wires yet so ill tackle that later. Im hoping a tuner can do custom tuning and help the computer out so its not constantly angry.

3rd gen expeditions are center console shift, so I believe I can make things look very nice inside. I got a pedal assembly from an 06 f150 with a manual trans and it was pretty much plug and play except for one small item. Unplug hole in firewall and install clutch master cyl. Its coming together quite well!!

superpsd

Reaction score
Why would the pcm still even be needed? It's a mechanically injected motor and manual transmission? One would thing it would be possible to wire around the pcm. Sounds like your trying to keep the instrument cluster . For a few gauges I would just junk the factory cluster and run after market gauges.

gwunter

Reaction score
Superpsd, thanks for your input. I like the look of the original gauges. I don't see a reason to mess with them. The more factory this thing looks the better off it will be. As far as the pcm goes, I guess I could waste time working around it but I'll just keep it all intact and work around it. Also I believe the transfer case gets its input through the pcm(I could be wrong here) and im using the original t case, once again utilizing the original selection knob inside. This ride will be my wife's DD so user friendlyness and creature comforts are a must. I'm also looking in having the rotating assembly balanced, I was quoted around 320$ for that. does this sound reasonable and worth it?

TurboM700

Reaction score
You will want to add knotchs in the dampner for the ford tach to read. It needs 4 total also will want to bypass the computer and go directly to the IC.

Like you I also kept all Ford accy. Alt, AC compressor, and power steering pump. Was never a big fan of Dodge alt or PS pumps.

Cool project almost went down this route but instead did an X. For the price of the 4bt I could do a 6bt for alot less.

Mike

gwunter

Reaction score
So when I got my motor it wasnt exactly in pristine condition. I rolled the dice on it hoping it was at least a good block. Thus far it has proven to be good. I also believe this motor was freshened up sometime in the past, but unfortunately it failed premature and I believe I know why. The oil pan had a very rough life. Looks like it was beat on and jacked on.

20140929_200852_zpscorhswqw.jpg

I think it was eventually beat in so much that it broke the spot welds on the oil pick up tube mounting flange. This allowed it to suck in air not oil.

20140927_184525_zpsqtdh4ogz.jpg

so the block went to the shop today to be cleaned and bored for new pistons. Below is my t case to trans adapter plate. Its drilled and tapped for the t case side but not for the trans side yet. to complete this I also need a shaft "extension" that will connect the trans to case. This has to be the typical ford 31 spline pattern but one side of this short shaft has to he internal spline while the other side is external splines. I can make the shaft but not the splines unless I had the special rotary broach cutters. Anyone know of a place that can assist me in the splines??

20140929_200631_zpscybkheav.jpg

20140929_200746_zpstvo8cc4e.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.