Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.7 Aftermarket

Old 03-06-2020, 08:25 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling6.7 View Post
Itís nice to see someone with a little enthusiasm again and taking a real interest in coming up with the best way.

When BigR started fabbing the NL intake, he did a dyno comparison with the big hitters of the time including S&B. It would be worth finding that to help prove, or disprove, some of your work. Itís a good read and probably came out in 2014? There were some issues with the scaling on MAF with the original version, so that had to be tuned out and wouldnít work on a stock truck.
Thanks for the encouragement! I tried to find the topic with this in it as I thought it might make for an interesting read. Found a couple topics relating to the 6.7 intakes but none with a dyno test. Any way you could help me find it?
Old 03-24-2020, 08:06 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quick update.
Made a large trip to Texas to bring back a trailer and Farmall H before a lot of the pandemonium. Drove into a headwind both directions. I'm also guessing that all the stations were still running winter diesel based on not seeing anything too different. On the way down I got two full tanks burned at 16.5 and 15.8 mpg hand calculated. I had a tank that was half unloaded and half towing that was 14.8 mpg hand calculated. This tank may have been "summer" fuel but it's hard to tell just from the numbers. The rest of the fill ups back were 10.4, 11.9 and 11.2 mpg hand calculated. Not too different than what I was seeing before the intake on winter fuel. Slightly less but I want to chalk that up to the headwind and higher speeds (75mph most of the time). I hope to get some better comparisons with a tank or two on my normal commute.
Running interstate into the wind I was seeing intake temps 2-5 degrees higher than ambient. Not enough for me to get worked up about but the perfectionist in me knows they could be better. Might be a cheap mod I can do if I end up with nothing but free time, short on cash, and an itch to improve the truck. I see other larger improvements I can make first.
I think there is some throttle response improvement after this trip. On ramp drags and passing pulls seemed improved if only marginally.
I haven't peeked at the filter but I can't imagine it accumulating much of anything yet.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:29 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

Gonna button this up as I have been nudged towards adding some other mods that will move me out of the vacuum that was just the intake.

Looking back at some of my data my MAF peaks for the same drive appeared to have increased from approximately 1200 kg/hr to 1300 kg/hr. My towing a trailer around has yielded me an average of about 13 mpg. I did not get a full tank of just commuting with the new intake but I appeared to get about the same mileage maybe slightly less according to the lie-o-meter. But shortly after adding the intake my turbo started surging at about 52-54 mph under light load steady throttle conditions. I was also doing slightly more stop and go driving than I used to.

So I have now installed a new steel bearing 2014 style turbo with a WW2, BD exhaust manifolds, some thermal exhaust coating, and some other reliability mods in the valley. All of this should play nice with the intake but won't tell me any more about just my intake. I should be posting some reviews on some of the newly added components in other threads as per requested. Thanks for reading guys!