Coolant leak...where is it coming from?

TexasJ

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 96 7.3 with a coolant leak coming from somewhere on the driver's side of the engine, towards the front. It doesn't appear to be coming from anywhere on the top of the engine, or any of the coolant hoses, or the water pump weep hole. It is running down what looks like the back/underside of the waterpump, and collecting on the driver side battery ground block. Both fuel lines are also routed through this ground block. I have felt the fuel lines and it doesn't seem to be running down them. Also doesn't seem to be running down the battery cable or any of the coolant or PS hoses. I will attach a picture of where it's collecting. It is continuing to leak with the engine off and sitting, has been sitting for a week now. I'm trying to figure out where it is coming from and how to stop the leaking! I'm concerned it will eat through my battery cables and cause a short.

Also, it started after I had it in the shop for an oil leak and they power washed the engine bay. Could that have caused this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

It appears to be coming from this dark space up above, labeled as 1. There is a little ledge up there and it feels wet around the gasket where what I believe is the back of the water pump meets some other piece. It is collecting at 2, which is the ground block.

Attachments

• 20210503_175831.jpg
    20210503_175831.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
Check where the upper hose clamps to the thermostat outlet. Also the thermostat outlet gasket could be leaking. It’ll drip off the backside and run down the block where you’re seeing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Ditto to those areas. Always follow the leak to the highest point. Where you can first see traces of coolant.

there is nothing containing coolant in that area you photographed. It is coming from someplace else. Either running down to that spot or being sprayed onto that area, but spray wouldn't be so neatly contained so most likely dripping down.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Check where the upper hose clamps to the thermostat outlet. Also the thermostat outlet gasket could be leaking. It’ll drip off the backside and run down the block where you’re seeing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed!

live life full throttle

Reaction score
I had a cracked front cover that leaked in that area. Clean it really well and check the area where the bullet shaped area that is the boss for the bolt that holds the oil cooler end housing. Seemed to leak more cold than hot.

Latest posts

Members online