6.4 single turbo swap

6.4dually

Reaction score
hey ya'll. 2008 6.4 f350 dually. My big turbo on the stock VGT setup has let go.
I'm leaning towards swapping the VGT's out for a single turbo and I'm looking for recommendations. Thanks in advance!

JumpMan92

Reaction score
I have a mpd s369 kit on my truck just waiting for the new tunes to really get a feel for the truck. Drove it in the old vgt on tune and it was a little laggy not bad but still there hoping the new tunes will fix all of that

6.4dually

Reaction score
I have a mpd s369 kit on my truck just waiting for the new tunes to really get a feel for the truck. Drove it in the old vgt on tune and it was a little laggy not bad but still there hoping the new tunes will fix all of that

thanks jumpman92. so i take it the ecm does not need to be flashed right away in order to accept a single turbo swap? did you do the swap yourself? how much would you say you have wrapped up in all the parts?
i'm about to tear mine down. i have a feeling that just the big turbo is what let go. would i be better off just replacing the big turbo or doing away with the vgt all together?

Mwatson

Reaction score
i have a similar truck and was on the fence about going to a single. after many calls to rudys diesel it was decided that it was best for me to stay away from a single as i tow any were from 6000-20000 monthly. what they told me was it was a performance oriented mod and wasnt really ment for long or heavy hauling, more for drag racing or playing. just an fyi

sootie

Reaction score
I would never suggest a single for anyone that tows. Why loose driveability if you aren't going for a big power increase?

Strokersace

Reaction score
I will say, that I absolutely love how my 6. 4 handles and drives with a 59 / 72 compound set up. Towing is incredible as well! Now I just have to figure out why my Mini Max decided to take a s*** on itself in the last few weeks. Need to monitor those vitals! Oh and occasionally switch Tunes. To a lower setting.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I'm digging my single for right now. It seems to behave similar to my compounds except for the additional power. But I have a cam, ported heads and valve train upgrade. We will see in july when I gross 20k on my way to Michigan how it does towing.

The compounds had more power.

Last edited:

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I will say, that I absolutely love how my 6. 4 handles and drives with a 59 / 72 compound set up. Towing is incredible as well! Now I just have to figure out why my Mini Max decided to take a s*** on itself in the last few weeks. Need to monitor those vitals! Oh and occasionally switch Tunes. To a lower setting.

Bish please. race tune all day every day. LOL

Latest posts

Members online