Normal for 2nd ish start after hpop? Early build

mn_sclb

Reaction score
Picked up a junker of a 2003 6.0 for the dirt bc it needed a transmission. Put in a unverified working trans I had left over from my 6.4 as an extra (jokes on me it was bad.. fml) before i took it apart to do egr deeeeeleeeete I replaces number 7 injector because it could be unplugged while running and not change a thing.. the injector fixed the rough idle when hot but still wouldn’t rev past 2400, if I tried to maintain an rpm it would surge and slowly drop, and A LOT of eye burning, life ending smoke.also did the oil cooler (fingers crossed on the eBay special) but since I was there and work for Napa and got a killer price on a new hpop I did that, the icp, and cleaned the ipr screen (a couple of specs of something stuck to the screen) and put it all back together, Except for the up pipe not being properly aligned.. I now see why the OE piece had flex in it. Anyway, now it starts unassisted but runs a little choppy and lopey and wasn’t sure if it’s normal. I know I definitely need injectors but I need to get together more money for some new sticks, ANOTHER trans, and rr.

And before anyone beats me up too bad about my clunker it was sub $1000 and The eBay oil cooler is there until funds are right to do a remote cooler setup/rr/bowl ****** but right now I’m trying to prioritize it at least being drivable if I do choose

Ps.ps. If anybody has a lead on some used verified good injectors feel free to pm me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
if you had the oil system apart and havent taken it out and driven it hard for 50 miles, there is no point diagnosing anything as there is air in the lines.

mn_sclb

Reaction score
I finally got that up pipe clamp tight enough to sound normal minus a little hiss (seriously lol any tips? I just don’t feel great about the Rachet strap) after hearing it run with exhaust I think it’ll be fine after I put some miles on it.

But driving it will have to wait as i learned a valuable lesson ... NEVER REUSE A TORQUE CONVERTER.
new trans is junk. I bought it for $200 tho so I guess it’s still cheaper than a tow to get it home.

I actually did ****** the egr system, but I left the valve because 1. I wasn’t very excited about the covers/plugs price and 2. Without the exhaust gas coming in through the bottom there’s no risk of any weird leaks happening (right ?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online