5R110 Rebuild what company for rebuild kit and converter?

jjordan355

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum here and I've got an 07 6.0 and I'm about to rebuild my transmission as I'm having an occasional 3-5 shift flair, 3rd is also slipping at WOT and my TCC engagement is getting intermittent. I'm making a good amount of power right now and I'm going to build the transmission myself because financially it's a better decision right now. So my question is I'm not sure which company to buy my rebuild kit from. I'm looking at Warren diesels competition plus kit http://www.warrendieselshop.com/tra...-5r110-competition-plus-transmission-kit.html , elite diesels competition kit https://www.elitedieselengineering.com/category/1383/Rebuild-KitsComponents/1.html&rewrite=off and revmaxs 850 horsepower kit https://revmaxconverters.com/product/ford-5r110w-850hp-combo-transmission-rebuild-kit/ . All of them are roughly the same kit with the the exception of a couple different small things. I'd like to be able to support around 800 wheel with my build. I've been thinking about ATS Five star viskus clutch converter as it has a greater torque multiplication and a 5 year/500k mile warranty. Any tips or sense of direction would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:

ncollins64

Reaction score
I would contact Midwest diesel and auto for a trans build or kit. I've personally only ran dpc and precision convertors so they would get my vote. I had Morgans 5r hold 1k hp and it never skipped a beat from all the hell I put it though.

thewrubelator

Reaction score
Midwest, Warren, David at Red Diamond Diesel, all great options. Personally I would stick to what works in these trucks, DPC or PI. I have a PI in mine right now and love it.

jjordan355

Reaction score
gotcha. any advantage to changing my stall speed? i don't personally have a reason to but i do see where some guys have changed their stall speeds.

Reaction score
Any previous threads or post on 5r rebuilds? I was thinking the same thing this morning on rebuilding my own. But I need a lot more info on it I haven't even broken ground on transmission knowledge

ncollins64

Reaction score
From my understanding, the 5r's can be very tricky. For a few more dollars I let the pros take care of mine. Plus a no bull-sh!t warranty is nice.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
From my understanding, the 5r's can be very tricky. For a few more dollars I let the pros take care of mine. Plus a no bull-sh!t warranty is nice.

^This... I had priced out building mine myself, and got around 4500 bucks with a converter. Twisted stage 3 with a converter and freight was 6grand, plus it has a 3 yr 100k warranty. Needless to say, i bought a trans... I think my time and the builders slecial tricks to get chit to stay together is worth 1500 bucks to me.

jjordan355

Reaction score
I've rebuilt a couple gm transmissions and been in an allison before but this will be my first 5r. If it wasn't for my money situation I'd go ahead and buy a built one, but it's not in the budget and I need a trans yesterday. I'm confident in my ability to build it, just need some direction before i pull the trigger on parts.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Go with the warren kit. I've built trans with it and revmax and definitely prefer warren. Add a ground from the case to the block and make sure your new pump bushing fits the converter snout right.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jonnydime

Reaction score
There is a Midwest Competition unit with converter and flex plate in the for sale section right now. I was in the same situation as you when a Stage 5 Elite trans came on the market. I made the decision to snatch it up instead of possibly having to go into my trans 3 or 4 times since I don't know the tricks to make a 5r live.

jjordan355

Reaction score
Alright...I've been leaning towards the warren kit and the DPC converter from them since they're such a reputable company.

Reaction score
^This... I had priced out building mine myself, and got around 4500 bucks with a converter. Twisted stage 3 with a converter and freight was 6grand, plus it has a 3 yr 100k warranty. Needless to say, i bought a trans... I think my time and the builders slecial tricks to get chit to stay together is worth 1500 bucks to me.

Fair enough that's all I need to hear. I'm confident in my abilities but at 1000-1500 savings and the time not working my job I'm better off to pay someone. Same position with headgaskets they aren't that hard but with 3 days not working it evens out paying someone and it just being done.

kwelch08

Reaction score
Twisted diesel is also a good choice I have their stage 3 with billet 2100 Pi converter and love it, and has a 3 year 100k mile warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Go with the warren kit. I've built trans with it and revmax and definitely prefer warren. Add a ground from the case to the block and make sure your new pump bushing fits the converter snout right.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Just curious, what's the reason for adding the ground?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online