dp tuner tunes on php hydra-chip

Groovy Chick

Reaction score
As the engineer, Bill will be on shortly to answer some questions that came up in this thread, but I'm just curious...

Since DP-Tuner has a similar product, why would anyone WANT to put DP tunes on our Hydra Chip? No offense intended -- honestly. Just wondering... :D

Oh! And there are 17 positions on the chip, but 15 of them can hold custom tunes. Position 0 is a module bypass -- not stock -- it just reads from the PCM, which would be great for emissions or diagnostics; Position 16 is a built-in No Start. FWIW, our chip can hold 15 different tuners' calibrations. I don't see anyone actually doing that, but it's possible. Hope that clears things up!

Last edited:

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
As the engineer, Bill will be on shortly to answer some questions that came up in this thread, but I'm just curious...

Since DP-Tuner has a similar product, why would anyone WANT to put DP tunes on our Hydra Chip? No offense intended -- honestly. Just wondering... :D

Oh! And there are 17 positions on the chip, but 15 of them can hold custom tunes. Position 0 is a module bypass -- not stock -- it just reads from the PCM, which would be great for emissions or diagnostics; Position 16 is a built-in No Start. FWIW, our chip can hold 15 different tuners' calibrations. I don't see anyone actually doing that, but it's possible. Hope that clears things up!

Thanks Corey, look forward to Bills post.

Last edited:

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Question... question... questions! Let's see what we can get answered. :D

I currently have an f8 with dptuner tunes and have been more then happy with their product but the new hydra-chip by php has caught my attention. I'm wondering if its possible to put dptuner tunes on the hydra-chip and does the hydra support the minotaur custom tuning?

Before I get into any details here, I want everyone to understand that ALL custom tuning is the intellectual property of the company that created the tuning. This means that if you run a file from any tuner that you didn't pay for, that is technically "Software Piracy".

However, the reality is that every tuner is, in some fashion, guilty of software piracy since every binary file used to create custom tunes comes from the manufacturer's (Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc.) original calibrations, and I don't see anyone sending them a check. My tuning has been copied for 15 years and quite honestly, I'm over it. If other companies want to complain about who is using their tuning, that's their choice.

So, with that in mind, yes it's possible to install DP calibrations on a Hydra Chip. DP uses a standard 256K file format which is similar to that used on the Hydra Chip. The files DP sends to customers are encrypted, but once they are programmed onto the chip, they are readable. All you'd need to do is read the files from each position, save them, and then load them onto the chip. In fact, there is a simple utility that will even convert the 256K file format to the 224K format used with TS-Performance chips, if one was so inclined.

Again, we don't condone this action and we do NOT offer advice or utilities that will decrypt calibration files. You'll have to hunt those down yourselves.

Why do you want the hyra-chip? You should look into the new Infinity-DX.

http://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-powers...rammers/infinity-dx-touchscreen-7-3l-668.html

Or if you want to have the same style switch as the Hydra, look into the F6.

http://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-powers...cks-1994-5-2003-1994-5-2004-gas-vehicles.html

Because the Hydra Chip is only $425.00 WITH ALL the standard tuning included... not $974.00 like the Infinity or well over $1000.00 (conservatively) like the F6 with 16 positions programmed.

I want the hydra cuz it can other company tunes, hold 17 tunes and internet updates are free.

Just to clarify, 2 of the positions are fixed. Position 0 is a "bypass" mode which allows the truck to run from the original ECM strategy. Position 16 (technically position "nS") is a no-start position which disables the PCM completely. The chip will support 15 user configurable positions.

Does the minotaur tuning have to be on a gryphon programmer and can't be put on a chip so it would be switch on the fly?

Minotaur is fully compatible with the Hydra Chip. You can build the files, load them right into the chip using the optional USB cable, and be running the new tune in less than 20 seconds without even having to pull the chip out of the ECM. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

If I remember correctly Minotaur is the custom tuning program where you can tune the truck yourself, unless you have extensive knowledge of these trucks I wouldn't even attempt it. That is the program to create files yourself and load them onto a 6 position chip.

Imho I see no use in having 17 tunes. I only use 2 of mine, Stock and Race, all others are just more for me to turn the knob through. If you want the hydra you might as well just change tuners. You will like php a lot, I have ran bills tunes before.

To a large degree, I agree with you. I use two tunes... Tow and Extreme (and I've been know to tow in Extreme! LOL). The nice thing about having more positions is that you have a little more flexibility when selecting towing programs and it's easier to scale your tunes depending on load and grade.

As far as I know, Minotaur tunes can be put onto the Hydra. As far as DP tunes onto it, I dont believe so.

See 1st reply in this post.

You need to do more reading.... U can load tunes from 17 different tuners on it if u would like

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

DP's files are compatible? I would also be very surprised.

call me old fashioned but my old ts works like a charm, can be tuned but lots of different people and doesn't have rf interference issues

The TS does work very well, and we will continue to sell those chips as long as TS makes them. They've been a good product for over 10 years and we've never run into any interference issues with them as far as I know. The Hydra Chip has been designed to take into account the noise issues we've seen in the past with HIDs and other EMI/RFI issues and is adequately filtered to avoid any interference. Also, the switch design doesn't contain any active components so there shouldn't be any issue there either. For those who like the "analog" feel of a knob, we will also be offering a 12 position version switch that is fully compatible with the Hydra Chip. Of course, you'll sacrifice the built-in "Bypass" and "No-Start" modes as well as 3 positions, but it gives you something to do with the hole your TS switch was in. :D

-------

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

2000wa250

Reaction score
Good to see bill. So in other words it allows you, if you have minotaur, to make changes almost on the fly. Of course you would have to turn off the truck to do so. My question is, do you have to reburn (is this the correct term? Or would it be reload) all the tunes? Or can you upload selectively. In my experience that is the biggest hold up on the ts burners because you may be changing one tune, but still have to burn all 6.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Groovy Chick

Reaction score
No, you don't!
party-confetti.gif
You can reburn one -- or more -- tunes at a time (in any position). You don't need to reprogram the whole chip if you make one -- or a few -- changes. I believe we have it down to less than 20 seconds to program one calibration. Another cool feature... you don't even have to touch the switch while programming. ;)

Regarding Minotaur, you're right on the money. If Minotaur is on your laptop, you could, theoretically, stop, make a slight change, and then reprogram that new tune onto your chip and try it out! It's about as close as you can get to live tuning without an emulator. :D

(Bill's working on tutorial videos for the Hydra Chip's release tomorrow, or he'd jump back on...)

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
This sounds awesome just for the fact of not having to pull the chip for a reburn (reload) for when u add mods later on i need to upgrade my chip (have an old gold chip reburned from bill) so i can have tow tunes, this may be my option!

dietoremain

Reaction score
PHP will be the only people to ever tune my truck... simple as that. Im definitely excited about the hydra chip, I have a FU myself so I dont have a real reason to upgrade besides the idea of having that many tunes... it'll wait for now but why not down the road haha.

Groovy Chick

Reaction score
Good to see bill. So in other words it allows you, if you have minotaur, to make changes almost on the fly. Of course you would have to turn off the truck to do so. My question is, do you have to reburn (is this the correct term? Or would it be reload) all the tunes? Or can you upload selectively. In my experience that is the biggest hold up on the ts burners because you may be changing one tune, but still have to burn all 6.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Care to see how the programming aspect works?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw-ve5rrTJ0&feature=BFa&list=UU0vhczBJQLfIlSHnmPDbtvA

rammertide07

Reaction score
Corey, I read something in a FB post where someone mentioned discount price for exchanging a PHP chip/programmer with the Hydra purchase. I know y'all do this with other products but is this something we can look forward to with the Hydra?

Charles

Reaction score
Wish you would have had this for sale years ago. I never would have bought the Tweecer...

Groovy Chick

Reaction score
One question after looking into this thing all night?..... how does it mount? Velcro? Stand? Ect???

It actually mounts with velcro. Why? Bill really hates having to drill holes in his dash.
smile.gif
Truly. It makes him crazy because if you sell the truck or change the mod, you have a gaping hole to contend with! It's the reason we have the ribbon cable connect from the bottom of the chip instead of behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XuYlkH0PGo

Corey, I read something in a FB post where someone mentioned discount price for exchanging a PHP chip/programmer with the Hydra purchase. I know y'all do this with other products but is this something we can look forward to with the Hydra?

We can't really resell the Phoenix and FU Chips; however, we will probably give a discount to any of our previous chip customers who would like to change to a Hydra and suggest that they sell their current setup to offset the cost. We haven't come up with any numbers yet, but we should have those decisions made by the weekend. We do know that if a customer has custom tunes -- whether on their Phoenix or for an FU2 -- we will be happy to simply move them over to the Hydra Chip at no charge. Phoenix customers who have standard tunes that haven't been modified at all will now have access to ALL our standard files for their PCM code (like the FU).
happy-dancing.gif

Wish you would have had this for sale years ago. I never would have bought the Tweecer...

That is a huge compliment, Charles. Thank you!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online