2013+ brakes on a 2011!

CMCx2012

Reaction score
So, for those of you that have a 2011 model F-250 with mediocre braking and sticking calipers to top it all off, this is for us. I am at the point where I will have to change my pads for service, but I also have to change one of the calipers. I have 20" Novakane wheels and 35" Toyos on my truck, so I am very interested in any of the available improvements at this point..

My options were to do rotors/pads from EBC or StopTech until recently when I learned that the 2013+ models were built with larger rotors, improved calipers and booster, and had slightly better pads than the previous models. This seems like a logical idea and starting point if I am looking to get the best braking without having to spend $2000 for a system such as SSBC... That is ridiculous money, btw:shocked:

Now, my question is can I make this 2013+ brake system work for my model year and what would be needed to make this work? It is my understanding that the knuckle and hoses are different for starters...

Please advise.

Last edited:

BOHICA256

Reaction score
The brake lines and the knuckles are different. I just got done swapping suspension parts from a 2013 4wd to my 2011 2wd, we figured this out mid swap. The original plan was for me to keep my brakes and for him to keep his brakes but we then figured out his brakes are bigger, and that the brake lines wouldn't swap trucks IIRC. So I got his rotors & calipers and my brake line worked perfectly. The mounting bracket was different and the length of the brake line of mine was smaller than his but I think that's because my truck is originally a 2wd.

From my small amount of time messing with them I think you could swap everything over with no problem.
The 2013 truck had to grind my 2011 calipers down some for the head or knuckle(whatever it's called) of his 2013 brake line to fit properly on my calipers going on his truck.
So I think you can slap 13' brakes on your truck without any problems! And it was a huge difference. Truck stops much much better. So I would definitely do it! Cheaper option than going aftermarket. Just have to remember if you ever take it in for brake work, to let them know you have 2013 brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Awesome insight! Thanks.

From what I understand the rotors on the 2013+ are 14.25", a definite improvement over the 13.5" rotors of the 2011. The 2013+ calipers were reported to have been redesigned as well. For these reasons alone, the upgrade/project really sounds worth it!

Towerguy

Reaction score
I made the swap on my 2005 about two years ago. The new rotors are about .75" larger as noted, the vanes were narrower so the braking surfaces were thicker. The new calipers are larger and significantly reinforced and the same applies to the caliper brackets. The new brake pads have a lot more swept area. The parts list is knuckles, calipers, caliper brackets, discs, and hoses. The new knuckles come with balljoints already pressed in and cost me about $115 apiece through Autonation Ford Whitebear Lake. I needed balljoints anyway so the conversion was a no brainer. For me it was nearly a complete bolt on, the one exception being the brake line attachment, it's different on the 2005-07 trucks. Our connection is at the top of the coil bucket and yours is on the frame in front of the axle. I moved my chassis brake line down and drilled my frame to match the newer location. You guys don't have to worry about that. My whole parts list cost me $750 including the core deposit on the calipers through Ford. If you have enough miles that you are ready to service balljoints then you would be smart to go ahead and update.

FYI, the rear brake discs are now as big as the fronts at 14.25" so the rears appear to be a bigger improvement than the fronts. I don't know about the calipers or pads though. I've been intending to look into updating the rear brakes but as of now I still don't know what all is required. I read a press release about the 2013 updates that seemed to indicate the parking brake was larger as well.

I took photos of the old parts alongside the new for comparison, I'll try to post pics this evening.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
And you sir are a life saver! Thanks a million.

I am guessing that you used the 2013/2014 model year brake parts on your truck? Would you happen to still have the parts numbers of all that you ordered by any chance?? If not, that is ok, BUT we would love to see the photos when you have a moment.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

CMCx2012

Reaction score
And you sir are a life saver! Thanks a million.

I am guessing that you used the 2013/2014 model year brake parts on your truck, minus the newer brake booster? Would you happen to still have the parts numbers of all that you ordered by any chance?? If not, that is ok, BUT we would love to see the photos when you have a moment.

I was told that I should just use the factory Ford equipment (pads, calipers, rotors) over aftermarket if I go this route. Whether I decide to use aftermarket pads/rotors or OEM units, I will definitely be better off with the larger, improved system over buying replacement 2011 parts...

Thanks again!!!

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
So, for those of you that have a 2011 model F-250 with mediocre braking and sticking calipers to top it all off, this is for us. I am at the point where I will have to change my pads for service, but I also have to change one of the calipers. I have 20" Novakane wheels and 35" Toyos on my truck, so I am very interested in any of the available improvements at this point..

My options were to do rotors/pads from EBC or StopTech until recently when I learned that the 2013+ models were built with larger rotors, improved calipers and booster, and had slightly better pads than the previous models. This seems like a logical idea and starting point if I am looking to get the best braking without having to spend $2000 for a system such as SSBC... That is ridiculous money, btw:shocked:

Now, my question is can I make this 2013+ brake system work for my model year and what would be needed to make this work? It is my understanding that the knuckle and hoses are different for starters...

Please advise.

I'd call 2000 for an SSBC kit a great deal of that's both axles. I'd actually call that cheap.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Still not a bad deal in the world of aftermarket brakes. What did those V8 calipers we used to run cost...like 1500 or something just for calipers?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Still not a bad deal in the world of aftermarket brakes. What did those V8 calipers we used to run cost...like 1500 or something just for calipers?

yeah mine, polished back in 2006 were $1800 . they worked very well though !

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Agreed. If they made them for these new, bigger brakes I'd buy another set.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Right, and I am sure the SSBC kit is a top performer without a doubt! Unfortunately, I am now in the wake of the $20k that I already spent on modifying this truck, and the asking price for the SSBC kit is way outside of what I am prepared to dish out...

CMCx2012

Reaction score
So, my passenger front caliper is now SHOT. Ironcially, I didn't put the order in for the 2013 style brakes because I'm still trying to get the definitive list of EVERYTHING that I'll need to mount them onto my 2011. I have read all through this thread about suggestions, tips and advice pertaining to needing the following parts: knuckles (with ball joints?), pads, rotors, calipers, brackets, hoses, and backing plates. My question is are there any other pieces needed?

In this thread, one of the users says he got all of the components to do this type of installation for $750 through Ford of WB Lake? Hopefully that was not a typo... For those wondering, yes, the search function works, but I just couldn't get the "complete" details from sesrching or from any of the Ford parts guys because no one has really done this frequently enough for there to be a master reference.

Please let me know what you all can advise, if you haven't already. Most inportantly, I definitely wanted to go out of the way in this install with a set of good pads and rotors; EBC/Stoptech/Hawk, or OEM if you advise. The truck isn't a work horse in any way as I don't tow at all...

I appreciate all the help, guys!

Last edited:

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Ready to put the order in for my 2013 brake conversion. My current "cart" contains: all (4) calipers, with brackets (which I will coat with G2 paint); the brake hoses; the knuckle assemblies w/ ball joints; and the backing plates from Sunrise Ford. I don't think I am missing anything else that is required for the conversion/installation. *Shout out to Sunrise once again because they are without a doubt the best prices and customer support!!!

As for the rotors and pads, I am currently holding off because I have not decided if I wanted to use OEM Ford parts or aftermarket-- hopefully someone will chime in for that advice ;)

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
I would stick with ford rotors without a doubt. Just make sure you tell them you want the genuine ford rotors.

For pads, if you go ford, make sure they're genuine ford and not Motorcraft.

I've only run my ford pads, and by the looks of it, I'll get 50k out of them. They worked very well minus the Dust. I might go with them again, only other pad I've had good luck with is Duralast. MAX. But they're made in India LOL.

Only other pad that intrigues me, is the performance Friction Carbon metallic. Only I don't know if they have pads for the newer brakes.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Great advice, Jomax. Thank you!

As stated previously, I am between the OEM or EBC/Hawk for pads, and for rotors I have seen good reviews on EBC, Stoptech and ART...

Jomax

Reaction score
Well, just called performance friction for the carbon metallic pads. They are coming out with the pads my for 2015(should be the same for you) by the end of May.

I had those pads on my 99 with a 2005 front axle, and they worked AMAZING. I never got brake fade, and they bit hard.

Seems you can't wait wait that long, so these pads are out.

Jomax

Reaction score
Great advice, Jomax. Thank you!

As stated previously, I am between the OEM or EBC/Hawk for pads, and for rotors I have seen good reviews on EBC, Stoptech and ART...

You will not feel a difference with the aftermarket rotors, if anything, you loose braking surface with slotted rotors which you want all the braking surface you can get.

If you would track the truck on a road course, then for sure get slotted rotors etc.

My honest opinion is, if you want a more performance in your braking system is, to wait for the carbon metallic pads, with stock rotors.

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
I've always used pfc pads and love them. It has helped with my last two trucks being on 37s and 38s. Rumor has it they have a "big brake kit" in r&d right now. I'm waiting on that announcement.

Latest posts

Members online