Sled pull time

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
I'll be hitting the fairs this year and doing a little pulling. Just wondering what every thinks our weak points are? I will strap the front axle down and go with 4low in 3rd gear in my hottest tune, so U-joints, rods, tranny, T-case? What might go or what have you seen go? Thanks guys

50_shooter

Reaction score
If you're running stock fuel I'd think you'll be OK. Sled pulling is hard on things though. I would figure out a way to block rear suspension as well. I put airbags on mine and it helped tremendously on keeping truck level. I pull 4hi 1st, but I'm non vgt and dual fueled. I couldn't keep my truck from shifting to 4th in manual mode. 4th is the weakest part of the trans I hear.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
4 high 1st gear, advance trac off, lockers off, ratchet strap the front suspension down as tight as you can get it (or run dual front shocks) to prevent the axle from hopping. Undo the straps after your pull and drive it home.

08Monster

Reaction score
4 high 1st gear, advance trac off, lockers off, ratchet strap the front suspension down as tight as you can get it (or run dual front shocks) to prevent the axle from hopping. Undo the straps after your pull and drive it home.
Dont you get derated doing that? Or doesn't it allow the truck to spin fast enough to derate it. I've considered what gear to pull my 6.7 in for quite a while. Doing a few local pulls this summer as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Dont you get derated doing that? Or doesn't it allow the truck to spin fast enough to derate it. I've considered what gear to pull my 6.7 in for quite a while. Doing a few local pulls this summer as well.

A mostly stock 6.7 wont get enough track speed to utilize top of 2nd or 3rd gear. But you can let it shift if you want. By the time you grab 3rd it'll get pissy and want to downshift then you're inertia is gone. Best to leave it in 1 gear and when it starts to load the truck half track you can let it eat. I tried letting mine shift and all it did was *** up my pull.

08Monster

Reaction score
Obviously traction bars are a gigantic plus?

stacked6.7

Reaction score
Make sure the TC locks in whatever gear you pull in. Mine never used to lock in low range until I had Midwest change my tune when I got there trans. 4Hi 1st works good. or 4Low 3rd or 4th. But as others have said it may try shifting on you even in manual mode. Also be careful if you block the rear and strap the back. There has to be some sort of suspension travel. If not you will most likely bounce, seen it many times. And make sure traction control is off.

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
Make sure the TC locks in whatever gear you pull in. Mine never used to lock in low range until I had Midwest change my tune when I got there trans. 4Hi 1st works good. or 4Low 3rd or 4th. But as others have said it may try shifting on you even in manual mode. Also be careful if you block the rear and strap the back. There has to be some sort of suspension travel. If not you will most likely bounce, seen it many times. And make sure traction control is off.

That's good advice thanks. Now you got me worried about my 1st not locking. I never seen it lock before, but I never run it in high RPMs. Getting any tune upgrades are getting hard for me...

50_shooter

Reaction score
Obviously traction bars are a gigantic plus?

I think they are about mandatory at my power level. Have seen ujoints go bye bye on less powered trucks without them. Puts things in a bind when springs give and axle rotates.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
What kinda EGT's are you guys seeing. Mine is just full depleted with g head tunes
Stock full dleets I always saw around 1600 wide open throttle. If you plan on pulling make sure to turn off your emergency back down settings. I had to do this on my minimaxx so the tuner doesn't kick the truck to the stock tune.
I think a stock 6.7 should have bars haha
Agreed. I tell everyone that asks me what they should do to their new truck. I tell them toonz, intake, exhaust, and bars

Latest posts

Members online