Track Rod Joint - A Must Have Upgrade!!!

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Yes you did. They are extremely expensive to manufacture and very time consuming to assemble.

Ask any of the guys running them how much better they are. Plus the ability to flip the track on top of the axle is awesome on lifted trucks.

Maybe not for everyone, but everyone who has them loves them.

link? can NOT find wholesale pricing from ouo website and/or your website for this link?

Black AOD

Reaction score
Just had my OUO Track Rod Joint fail on me sadly. Bottom sheared right off. Track bar fell right off and I lost steering. Thank God I was going slow.

Going to get with Jared when I can. Not really sure how this happened TBH. Joint is barely 3 months old lol

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Just had my OUO Track Rod Joint fail on me sadly. Bottom sheared right off. Track bar fell right off and I lost steering. Thank God I was going slow.

Going to get with Jared when I can. Not really sure how this happened TBH. Joint is barely 3 months old lol

Wow, that's crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breaking Habits

Reaction score

Just saw this and your text! Give me a call Monday morning when you're free at the office, we'll get to the bottom of what happened and get you back on the road!

mikeeg02

Reaction score

I'm guessing the bolt on the lower mounted heim joint sheared ? Or the mount itself ?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I would expect or at least hope to see an update to their kit that eliminates the single shear point from that setup. When I first saw that kit I immediately went to my pirate4x4 days and thought single shear?! Oh my! And I know people argue about a ball type joint also being single shear. But when using heim type joints it's much more common to shear like that. Even when the bolt is larger than the one in the ball type joint. A plate should be welded to the axle to support the other side of the joint to prevent that in the future. In my opinion anyways.

Zmann

Reaction score
recall potential here ? or just a random issue

the "Back ordered" has me wondering

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
recall potential here ? or just a random issue

the "Back ordered" has me wondering

They've been backordered since February, so nothing to wonder about

I've had 5 of these joints with a combined 80,000+ miles on them.

There's a ton of them out there getting abused and the trucks beaten every day

I haven't been able to determine what caused Andrew's to fail. If they aren't installed properly they WILL fail, there is no way around it.

I've had two others fail where it was identified that the bolt was not torqued, just ran tight with an impact and the mechanic assumed that was good enough for 225FT lbs..

They used to be sold not assembled and that was an issue for people to follow instruction before as well. Kind of a bummer, I'm not really sure what the plan of action is, but I doubt we see the joints before this winter anyway.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I've had 5 of these joints with a combined 80,000+ miles on them.

There's a ton of them out there getting abused and the trucks beaten every day

I haven't been able to determine what caused Andrew's to fail. If they aren't installed properly they WILL fail, there is no way around it.

I've had two others fail where it was identified that the bolt was not torqued, just ran tight with an impact and the mechanic assumed that was good enough for 225FT lbs..

I'm not being a d!ck, but 5 joints with combined 80k? So ~16k each? Doesn't seem like much to brag about. Now 1 joint and 80k it more like it. Again, not trying to be an @$$hole, though I know it may sound like it.

I will agree that in a single shear setup, there is hopefully a calculated optimal torque for longevity on that bolt. I guess as a potential customer for them, I would hope/like to see a double shear setup on that joint. And that is what has prevented me from purchase this far. (Though I am sure this is a turn off for most, as it would most likely require welding on the axle, which isn't a concern for me)

I guess all of this is moot anyways, I just noticed the disclaimer on OUO's website. Their products are "Not For Highway Use™"

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I'm not being a d!ck, but 5 joints with combined 80k? So ~16k each? Doesn't seem like much to brag about. Now 1 joint and 80k it more like it. Again, not trying to be an @$$hole, though I know it may sound like it.

I will agree that in a single shear setup, there is hopefully a calculated optimal torque for longevity on that bolt. I guess as a potential customer for them, I would hope/like to see a double shear setup on that joint. And that is what has prevented me from purchase this far. (Though I am sure this is a turn off for most, as it would most likely require welding on the axle, which isn't a concern for me)

I guess all of this is moot anyways, I just noticed the disclaimer on OUO's website. Their products are "Not For Highway Use™"

I have 6 Super Duties.. And 4 of them have accumulated less than 7,500 miles between themselves in the last 2 years.. Does that bring things more to a sense?

We've looked into other options such as an ARP stud, etc, but the problem is, people already complain about the price as it is. Who would want to pay 700+ for it?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I have 6 Super Duties.. And 4 of them have accumulated less than 7,500 miles between themselves in the last 2 years.. Does that bring things more to a sense?

Yes, but to make the statement about longevity, it should be of a single joints mileage IMO.

We've looked into other options such as an ARP stud, etc, but the problem is, people already complain about the price as it is. Who would want to pay 700+ for it?

I realize this option no longer makes it "bolt on" but converting the bottom joint to a double shear (like the frame side bracket) should save you money, and be most reliable. (as the lower joint needs to be less expensive, and the weld on steel cant cost more then ~$50 until its cut and bent if necessary)

Of the failures you have seen, its probably safe to assume the bolt typically fails towards the bottom of, or below the link bar itself? (between the joint and the mount on the axle)

Secondly, the now separated bolt probably has a flat portion (probably less than 50% and then the rest has a "streched" look ?

Similar to this, which is showing a mostly sheared failure.

cimg5584-fractured-screw-surfaces.jpg

Also, none of this is to be malicious, I would love to have an improved track rod for my truck. I battle with slight "death wobble" and have done what I can by adjusting my alignment to aid in settling the issue.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Yes, but to make the statement about longevity, it should be of a single joints mileage IMO.

I realize this option no longer makes it "bolt on" but converting the bottom joint to a double shear (like the frame side bracket) should save you money, and be most reliable. (as the lower joint needs to be less expensive, and the weld on steel cant cost more then ~$50 until its cut and bent if necessary)

Of the failures you have seen, its probably safe to assume the bolt typically fails towards the bottom of, or below the link bar itself? (between the joint and the mount on the axle)

Secondly, the now separated bolt probably has a flat portion (probably less than 50% and then the rest has a "streched" look ?

Similar to this, which is showing a mostly sheared failure.

cimg5584-fractured-screw-surfaces.jpg

Also, none of this is to be malicious, I would love to have an improved track rod for my truck. I battle with slight "death wobble" and have done what I can by adjusting my alignment to aid in settling the issue.

While all of this is a great idea, we wont compromise the quality of our joints to bring cost down.

We would discontinue this before we started using a lower quality joint. End of story.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
While all of this is a great idea, we wont compromise the quality of our joints to bring cost down.

We would discontinue this before we started using a lower quality joint. End of story.

I think your misunderstanding. The engineered joint you have is more likely more expensive because it is designed to use a single shear setup. A joint properly sized for a double shear setup would be less expensive, and potentially less as likely to fail due to external reasons. IE improper torque.

For example, I am sure the joint you use at the frame side costs you significantly less then the joint at the axle side?

I'm not insinuating for you to utilize lower quality parts.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I think your misunderstanding. The engineered joint you have is more likely more expensive because it is designed to use a single shear setup. A joint properly sized for a double shear setup would be less expensive, and potentially less as likely to fail due to external reasons. IE improper torque.

For example, I am sure the joint you use at the frame side costs you significantly less then the joint at the axle side?

I'm not insinuating for you to utilize lower quality parts.

There's only one joint. This is the joint that goes inside the housing.

Are you referring to the joint in our track rod at the frame side? Because they are equally more expensive.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
There's only one joint. This is the joint that goes inside the housing.

Are you referring to the joint in our track rod at the frame side? Because they are equally more expensive.

I am comparing the frame side joint, to the joint thats mounted to the axle.

The joint mounted at the frame end is a "double shear" type. Both sides of the joint itself are supported by steel. The only force the bolt provides is the "shear strength" where the joint and mount contact.

The joint mounted at the axle end is a "single shear" type. Where only one side of the joint is supported. You now rely on the tensile strength of the bolt not to stretch but the shear strength is mostly focused to the fixed side of the joint.

I must admit I am surprised to hear that that frame side joint is more expensive. But for me personally to purchase an aftermarket track bar, it would need a "double shear" type joint at both ends.

Are you willing to answer my questions about the appearance of the bolts that you have seen that have failed?

Latest posts