Track Rod Joint - A Must Have Upgrade!!!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Mine has the "death wobble", I've replaced the joint with another OEM, no difference. Front end is tight, its done it since ~30K miles. I had them put some positive caster in mine and it helped. I think OEM acceptable is +3* to 0 range. Mine IIRC is set around +3*-+3.5*. It was completely unacceptable until I finally convinced them to do that for me. Rainy roads literally took the wheel from my hands above 50 mph.

I have tried 3 sets of tires, because they originally blamed my tires. And now Im at ~110K so I have put two new sets on since. The only thing I have left to try is another set of wheels. My one has a little bit of a flat spot in it, but the truck does it whether that wheel is on the front or rear.

They also blamed my "loading" of the truck, as it has a HD front bumper with 12K winch (and I have the OEM front upgraded spring package). Utility bed on the back and the truck weighs in at 9,500. Which is a bit for a super cab short bed gasser haha.

If yours didnt do it before, Id suggest putting your tires back and see if it continues. Then check front suspension parts. All of them if you havent already. (steering linkage, ball joints, etc)

If that doesnt show any issues, I would recommend getting an alignment shop to add some caster on the front axle.

Thats all based of my experience with my truck. Your results may vary.
thanks man! im gonna check it out after work

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
pretty sure i need every joint in my steering linkage.. including the trac rod joint.. i think my 4 axle ball joints are ok. but there is sloppy movement in the rest of them.

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
pretty sure i need every joint in my steering linkage.. including the trac rod joint.. i think my 4 axle ball joints are ok. but there is sloppy movement in the rest of them.

live life full throttle

Sure it isn't your steering box? I changed all that stuff for yearsand im wondering if i wasnt wasting my $$$... tightened my steering box up and havent observed any "wear" since then. In fact, after i took my 6" lift off in March i just shortened the inner tierod, replaced the trackbar, and pitman arm. Everything else was tight. After running 37s and 35s for two years each on it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Sure it isn't your steering box? I changed all that stuff for yearsand im wondering if i wasnt wasting my $$$... tightened my steering box up and havent observed any "wear" since then. In fact, after i took my 6" lift off in March i just shortened the inner tierod, replaced the trackbar, and pitman arm. Everything else was tight. After running 37s and 35s for two years each on it.
i watched it all move when my buddy wiggled the steering wheel.. and you can move the tie rod conecting tube up and down and it makes a nice metal on metal pinging noise as if you where slapping metal pieces together.. not smooth and firm at all..

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Dont you think it should last a bit longer? If it didnt it doesnt matter but it seems like that stuff usualky died around 150k miles.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Dont you think it should last a bit longer? If it didnt it doesnt matter but it seems like that stuff usualky died around 150k miles.
on the leaf spring trucks yes.. these ***in coil spring fronts can suck my ballz

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
You gotta quit jumpin in with your truck when the Joey Chitwood stunt drivers come to your local fair! LOL

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Ah yes sorry, that was all for my 2012 truck. The leaf spring trucks front suspensions seems to just work. I finally had to replace the steering on my '01 @ ~250k. On my old '02, it replaced it once around 200k. The '01 see more street miles then the '02 did. On both my '01 and '02, I did have to adjust the box. Then it was like a new truck.

Jomax

Reaction score
on the leaf spring trucks yes.. these ***in coil spring fronts can suck my ballz

live life full throttle

Your truck is driving on bad dirt roads though, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Guys.. Sorry but OBS and Leaf spring suspension really have no bearing on a super duty track rod.. Lol

On top of that. Posting pretty much anything related to or showing XXX companies name on one of my threads isn't very cool.
i started a new thread in the 6.7 tech section for all this other talk of the feont end componants.. if you want, i can ask a mod to move the rest of the crap talk to that thread being that this is a vendor specific thread.

i do have a question though. it was mentioned before, how hard and how much would it be to convert the ball joint to what was said about the double sheer joint? i seen this on my buddies 15 doodge and was like dam, why cant ford do that.. or a double ended hiem joint thats greaseable even..

41166181f200dcf2bc08c43682b4788a.jpg

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online