A little guidance on my build

Diesel23

Reaction score
Hey guys , I know this has been asked before and is like beating a dead horse , I have a 96 and I have had the itch since I got her to start mods ,
Heres a list of whats on my truck now - dyi intake , exhaust and gearhead tunes set up for bigger injectors ,
but till now nothing major , My trans started leaking out of where the bell housing is possibly the seal ? Now using this as an opportunity to start my build , I will be using my truck for DD its my work truck I have my 08 for HP but want a reliable 350-400 or more HP truck ,
Heres a list of what I have to put on -
-17* HPOP ,
-I/C ,
-NTLD Custom uppipes ,
- Gauges
- MPD238/100 hybrids
- I have just about all parts for a dyi e fuel ( but thinking of irate obs efuel kit)
- PMF stage 2 traction bars

Okay heres my question the old which turbo to use? , while I do have a tight budget but want to do it once or twice LOL !!
I don't mind buying what I need to convert to the superduty set up , but what exactly do I need I have spyder for intake already ?

or do I stay with the obs set up ?

Will I need head studs Now or what till down the road ?

im fairly versied in the 6.4 but have tried learning enough to do my 7.3 but figure I would just cut to the chase and ask for advice
Also back to my trans im having it built , what would you recommend putting in it to make it handle the truck - Thanks

bruce

Reaction score
Why did you go so big on the injectors? For that HP I'd prolly just do the s366 or the basb if you can swing it

Diesel23

Reaction score
Why did you go so big on the injectors? For that HP I'd prolly just do the s366 or the basb if you can swing it

Got a deal on them and was told they would be fine for any type of driving , will these not be a good thing ?

PSDEng

Reaction score
S366 and done. It gives you the T4 mount so you have the option to upgrade in the future if you decide to go bigger.

Swaan

Reaction score
If towing the 366 is fine too. It gets the job done. It's just the basb does the job with lower egts at lower rpm. The 366 has too be kept over 2000 rpm for safe egts. At least mine did with 175/80 inj

Diesel23

Reaction score
k , awesome guys thanks for the recommendations im looking for a t-4 turbo kit
as we speak and trying to get a hold of a s366 , i only tow on occasions

m j

Reaction score
what HP level do you need to worry about gating the s366?
what HP level does the s467 begin to shine?

Diesel23

Reaction score
good question mj , im curious aswell , i think they say when you get to 238/100 's and bigger injectors you need gate , i will have 238/100's is that border line or will i have to run a waste gate ?

Swaan

Reaction score
I would say if you used a 1.10 a/r exhaust housing you would be okay with the 366 with those inj

Diesel23

Reaction score
Okay boys , I threw the budget thing out the window, i am still using the 238/100's and the 17* hpop ,Dieselsite CPR E Fuel kit , the arp headstuds ,comp springs , I did go with a different turbo as much as I wanted to use this GT42 I went with IRATE T4 turbo kit and bought the s468 , I do need pushrods still , my question now is my transmission What stall converter should I use ? This will be a DD and would still like to hit the track , any input would be great

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
i would call Morgan @ Midwest Diesel 217-691-1909 for a trans.

he will build it exactly how you want it and does great work with excellent service

Diesel23

Reaction score
i would call Morgan @ Midwest Diesel 217-691-1909 for a trans.

he will build it exactly how you want it and does great work with excellent service

Thanks sootie !! Wasn't sure he did E40D , I'll look into it

Latest posts

Members online