GTP38 Hybrid?

Back woods

Reaction score
Have a 2001 F350 that I tow with and it is basically stock. Have read that the TP38/van turbine wheel is larger than the GTP38 turbine. Would there be any significant gain to swapping the turbine wheels? Machine the .84 housing to accept the bigger wheel and put it back together. There is so much focus on the compressor wheel side of things but what about upgrading the turbine wheel?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Problem is the stock .84 exhaust housing is restrictive. Im no turbo expert, but i believe even doing what you suggest, would not yeild great results

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
What RPM's do you normally run while towing?

What RPM's are you trying to run?

Back woods

Reaction score
Comparing to a stage 1 66mm KC drop in. (Correct me if I am wrong). It has a 76x68 turbine wheel. (Is this a gtp38 turbine or s300 turbine wheel? Anyways, my point is the TP38 has a 76.5x70 which is larger than the basic 38r series drop in until you get into stage 2 turbos.

Would the 2mm larger and taller blade height make for better top end towing while retaining the .84 housing. Currently it is a stock turbo with a ported housing and cast wheel. Maybe a 66mm swap down the road but I am holding out for a 64.5mm compressor wheel to hit the market. (Wishful thinking)

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Get rid of the .84 housing.

Run the stock van turbo, or a 38R. There is a reason so many have been sold.

Back woods

Reaction score
So, a 66mm Van turbo with a 1.15 AR would out flow a 38r 1.15 based on turbine size?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Whole to whole, I doubt it.

The compressor side? No.

The exhaust side, no idea.

I'm just trying to make things simpler for you. No reason to go through all that machining when a bolt in turbo is going to maximize everything you've got.

Back woods

Reaction score
How will the compressor side be out flowed if they are identical compressor wheels? Any more with these turbos you can go a long way with very minimal machining and still be under $$$ of a KC stg1 but with a larger turbine wheel. I also want something that can be rebuilt.

D66stroke

Reaction score
Not to derail the post, but I just watched a video of one with a 1.15 housing. Has anyone noticed the NON-gated housings give off a deeper/louder exhaust note? Just asking because that's the only thing that stood out to me in the video on Youtube lol

Swaan

Reaction score
Yes. Generally the bigger the turbine and or the housing it will have a deeper louder exaust note.

WG turbos generally are smaller turbines and housings.

psduser1

Reaction score
How will the compressor side be out flowed if they are identical compressor wheels? Any more with these turbos you can go a long way with very minimal machining and still be under $$$ of a KC stg1 but with a larger turbine wheel. I also want something that can be rebuilt.

It's not just a flow issue. Different exhaust turbines, as well as compressor sides change surge areas. The tradeoff can be how early in the rpm range the turbo will lite. Hence the question of rpm range earlier in the thread.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score

GT38R and GTP38 Van Turbo's have the same compressor side?

I'm missing something...

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
Best turbo on a nearly stock 7.3 I have used is the stock turbo with 1.0 wastegated turbine and ported compressor housing. This was before the 38R was available and worked very well. The van turbo was too slow to spool and lacked power.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Best turbo on a nearly stock 7.3 I have used is the stock turbo with 1.0 wastegated turbine and ported compressor housing. This was before the 38R was available and worked very well. The van turbo was too slow to spool and lacked power.

What was your setup when using stocker with 66mm& 1.0 exhaust? I'm running stock sticks with no programmer or chip. But I will be when decide what to do on rebuilding my stocker. I plan on a t4 setup when injectors go. And who knows what size housing the banks quick turbo kit is?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Well maybe I found my answer. Go with a 360 journal and a billet wheel stock size 60mm with a ported housing. 66mm could be too big for non bb and lighter wheel with better lube might spin fast enough for the bigger exhaust housing.

Swaan

Reaction score
I always recomend a comp size thats just big enough to support your fueling needs. People always go to big then everything below the WOT requirement gets compromised.
Meaning drivabillity suffers or is not as good as it could be.
90% of the average Joe, stage 1 or 2 people out there could get by perfectly with a 62-64 mm turbo.
Pick your poison and be prepared to live with the pros and cons because one thing I've learned is there is no magic do everything turbo..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.