04 Rough Idle

03_PSD

Reaction score
I have an issue with a rough idle. The truck is a 2004 and has 75000 miles and usually starts and runs good. I'm about 500 miles away for an oil (Delo Full Synthetic) and fuel filter change.

This morning I was coasting off the highway to a red light and noticed the truck sounded different and somewhat rough at idle. I continued to drop kids off at school and headed to work. Once I got to work I disconnected the ICP and I didn't really notice a difference in idle tone, but once I plugged the ICP back in the truck died. Left it plugged in and then restarted the truck and it started good like normal, but the idle was still rough. Any thoughts, maybe wire issue?

Scan Gauge didn't pull and codes, but I'll try my SCT
FICM 48.5-47 volts
Fuel Pressure 53-55 PSI

03_PSD

Reaction score
SCT pulled three codes

P0275 - cylinder number 5 contribution/balance
P0488 - EGR (I think)
P2285 - ICP (maybe popped this code when I disconnected it)

046.ohBills

Reaction score
IS this the 04 with icp on passenger side valve cover or on the hpop cover? depending on what stays after clearing the codes could be the ICP pigtail or the No 5 Injector

03_PSD

Reaction score
Its on the valve cover. A couple years ago I had to update the pigtail. I'm leaning on No. 5 being the culprit. I cleared the codes and ran it to get fuel and it ran fine half way there then the stumble came back. So I'm going to park it and order an injector. I don't know what a good price is, but Ford dealer wants $235 with $180 core for one.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
I recently just had this happen to me but it didnt feel like a stumble. I had two injectors clearly just go out on me 6 and 8 if i remember clearly. felt underpowered and while just nice and easy on the throttle my truck just couldnt get up to speed. it very well could be the injectors and i think mine were 190$ from ford and i dont remeber the core charge

03_PSD

Reaction score
I shouldn't have said stumble, I meant definitely underpowered and rougher odd sounding idle. If you try to get up to speed it starts blowing black smoke, slight haze with lite foot and gets thicker the more you push the peddle.

Can you drive it with a bad injector? I went to get gas to make sure it wasn't a low fuel issue (it wasn't) and then I drove it back and parked it. Round trip was 20 miles at most.

Last edited:

046.ohBills

Reaction score
It probably is not the best for it. If you have a way to watch each injector that would be the best way to tell if its just one but it definitely sounds like one is on its way out or is having stiction issues.

03_PSD

Reaction score
No worries, I was curious because mine didn't smoke at all either.

I'm replacing the #5 injector, got Ford reman going in.

03_PSD

Reaction score
Update

Replaced No. 5 injector, dummy plug and standpipe. Truck is back up running smooth as before.

Latest posts

Members online