Test Tune for high RP at idle

tnutcher

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my oil level is growing, Blackstone test came back 8% dilution on my tuned and d-leted 6.4. So I pulled the valve covers and with truck idling and dye in the fuel, looked for leak with regular flashlight and blacklight. Nothing. Even reving up to 9k rail pressure, still nothing. Then drained oil and left to fully drain for 3 days, then cycled frame rail fuel pump for 5 minutes, (to see if fuel is leaking past k16 seal) and nothing came out the oil pan drain hole.

So now I'm thinking it still could be leaking somewhere under the valve covers, just didn't have enough rail pressure to see the leak. Or if anyone else has other thoughts on why I'm growing oil, let me know!

But, for now I'm wanting to flash truck with a tune to command high rail pressure at idle to test and find leaks. I do have the high idle pto wire spliced to the aux 4 uppfitter, maybe just change it above 1000 rpm so I can let it warm up slightly first, then engage high press with higher rpm? Or maybe just at low idle so the turbos won't be spinning and blowing air while I'm in there looking for leaks?

Just planning on loading the canned h&s mild tune. Curious if I need to change all 8 of the configuration/temp tables? I was thinking of filling the highlighted section with 20,000 psi. What do you guys think? Is it safe to run this for testing purposes? Thanks guys.

TNutcher
6e2f51d0248ea4fc68512491669fe85d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ckrueg

Reaction score
I can't remember for sure but I think config 2 is used most of the time. Depending on what temp the engine and ambient are you will be switching between those tables. Temp 0 is above 150 iirc and temp 1 is from 70 or so to 150. Temp 2 is from 0 to 70 and temp 3 is sub 0. Again I'm not 100 percent sure on those numbers but it should be close

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tnutcher

Reaction score
I can't remember for sure but I think config 2 is used most of the time. Depending on what temp the engine and ambient are you will be switching between those tables. Temp 0 is above 150 iirc and temp 1 is from 70 or so to 150. Temp 2 is from 0 to 70 and temp 3 is sub 0. Again I'm not 100 percent sure on those numbers but it should be close

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up on the configuration 2. I did find the temperature differential which lines up how you described as well. It's not cold by us here but I might just change temp 0 chart to let it warm up a bit first and then watch and wait for the rail pressure to spike and check for leaks. I know the system is designed to handle 26+k psi but I'm a bit nervous to run it that high right on cold start, or heck even at warm idle for that matter!

I'll post back with findings, thanks.

tnutcher

Reaction score
Ha!! Found the leak! I was nervous about running that high of pressure at idle but it worked! Leaking crossover line at connection at injector on cylinder #5. 20k psi at idle and the truck started pretty normal even just with 1 battery. Sounded a little off at idle but could clearly see the leak! New injector line on its way! VERY glad it wasn't the HPFP, that looked like a snatch and a half to change out with cab on.

What's the sequence on installing these crossover lines?
e9d9d2061a240d0409b1a9a9d439397c.jpg

sootie

Reaction score
youve got some balls thats for sure...I wouldnt be anywhere near a 20k psi leak...

tnutcher

Reaction score
All buttoned up, no leaks and running great! Much happier it was the injector line vs the HPFP, lots cheaper and easier to change out. Thanks for the help guys!

TNutcher