Is my trans screwed? Vids

mysticblu999

Reaction score
So my 3rd turbo went out, and I'm out of warranty so I decide to go with a MPD 364.5sxe to replace it. Get it on the truck and SPE writes the tunes for me. I'm getting a squeal in 4th and it doesn't want to shift until I let off of it. I did the relearn. It still does it and it is getting worse. Am I going to have to shell out thousands more again? :confused: Everything was fine before the turbo went out. 144k miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfBhTAz2ysM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF9eezXTMPw

sootie

Reaction score
We don't see eye to eye on general business practice

mysticblu999

Reaction score
I've not had any problems with them. I like them just fine. Just trying to figure out what to do with this truck. Ive still not heard back from them.

sootie

Reaction score
Exactly. Lots of ppl dislike their tuning as well.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I've not had any problems with them. I like them just fine. Just trying to figure out what to do with this truck. Ive still not heard back from them.

what tuning platform is it on ? i'll help ya if possible.

doo dah

Reaction score
I bought a few different tunes from Mike @ NL and never could get the trans tuning right (no fault of his) so I went to TSD and had the truck dyno tuned. So much better now. I ran on a hurt transmission for 60k miles thinking it was tuning when it could have just used new solenoids and a valve body but after that many miles the rest was trashed so now I have a full Suncoast built unit. Do yourself a favor and get the CAN reset and have the adaptive reset with IDS then if you are still getting issues have someone look at it. Could save thousands in the long run.

mysticblu999

Reaction score
@doo dah what was you trans doing? How do I do the reset and everything you are talking about? I'm really hoping it's the tune. My truck is a job 1 2011 and I never had trouble with the trans. Never even had to replace the solenoids like a lot did.

Please be the tune! Does it need to be that much different with the non vgt turbo?

doo dah

Reaction score
I had flares from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. Downshift from 3-2 was stoopid hard. After awhile I started getting flares in 4-5 and 5-6 plus some squawks in the 3-4 shift. Very consistent different tunes did not change the transmission behavior. IDS is a Ford program that can reset the adaptive learning, not sure how they reset the CAN but the two basically clear your TCM and allow the tune to be clean. You'll need to find a shop that has IDS and can reset things for you.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I had flares from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. Downshift from 3-2 was stoopid hard. After awhile I started getting flares in 4-5 and 5-6 plus some squawks in the 3-4 shift. Very consistent different tunes did not change the transmission behavior. IDS is a Ford program that can reset the adaptive learning, not sure how they reset the CAN but the two basically clear your TCM and allow the tune to be clean. You'll need to find a shop that has IDS and can reset things for you.

you can actually do a CAN reset yourself. it's pretty simple. it's simply draining the system of ANY residual electrical power by unhooking both batteries and connecting positive and negative wires on either side.

mysticblu999

Reaction score
UPDATE: If I switch to manual mode, it shifts fine. Should just be the tune then? I'm going to try some new tunes.

Bigrpowr: I will PM you.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
you can actually do a CAN reset yourself. it's pretty simple. it's simply draining the system of ANY residual electrical power by unhooking both batteries and connecting positive and negative wires on either side.
So after you disconnect the terminals from the batteries do you wait awhile then connect the positive and negative terminals together? Then you leave them connected together for say 5 minutes then reinstall positive and negative terminals to the batteries?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JumpMan92

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue on my 6.4 single turbo it was fine before. The new tunes but no limit is helping me out with everything their customer service is definitely top notch

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
So after you disconnect the terminals from the batteries do you wait awhile then connect the positive and negative terminals together? Then you leave them connected together for say 5 minutes then reinstall positive and negative terminals to the batteries?
k

Whatever works. 5 minutes would be more then plenty. Sometimes all I do is disconnect them then go to the fridge for beer and come back and its reset.

mysticblu999

Reaction score
This seems to be a possible solenoid issue.. But depending on how long this was driven like this it does not take much to damage that pack.

2011 job 1. Never had the solenoids changed, although I know some did. I've but almost 1000 miles on it. Are talking about the torque converter?

sootie

Reaction score
2011 job 1. Never had the solenoids changed, although I know some did. I've but almost 1000 miles on it. Are talking about the torque converter?

Change the valve body/solenoid pack before you roach whats left of your trans.

Latest posts

Members online