Need a new D P F -- thinking about Bully Dog

pg_rider

Reaction score
Hey guys, my 2010 F350 is at 100,000 miles and I'm getting frequent regens (about every 40 miles) -- perhaps you saw my earlier post. I was thinking it was too early to be the D P F itself getting clogged, but I'm also hearing that they can need replacing as soon as 100k.

I only use it to tow my 16,000lb fifth wheel so I was surprised that it could be full at this point. Perhaps it could be the pressure sensor gone bad, or something else...

Anyway, assuming I need to replace it, I'm considering a Bully Dog aftermarket D P F. I haven't seen any reviews. Does anyone have experience with them, or at least an opinion?

I'm not really interested in ******** by the way, as I need to pass emissions here in Colorado every two years.

6.4powerstroke!

Reaction score
If it is clogged but not cracked, it can go through a baking process that cleans it out but the problem might be finding a shop that offers this service.

Petro

Reaction score
Since you don't want to d3lete, honestly the thing to do would be to buy a 6.7. Their emissions setup is far less problematic and you won't be driving around a time bomb that's over due for a piston failure. I know that's not what you want to hear, but sadly it's true. Good luck with it.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
If you throttle snap are you seeing black smoke?

Alot more dio needed here, especially since this truck works.

pg_rider

Reaction score
If you throttle snap are you seeing black smoke?

Alot more dio needed here, especially since this truck works.

I haven't done that yet but I don't think the filter is cracked. Certainly don't have any soot at the tailpipe.

The other thing I should have said is that my shop found a thermostat that was failed open. They said that could have prevented the truck from ever getting hot enough to do full regens. They replaced it, but nothing changed, so I'm not sure that was the issue....

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yeah it might need a bake. Call around to truck stops and service centers to see if they can bake it. Yours will require cutting and re welding of both ends.

But first find someone who can perform stationary Regen on it.

pg_rider

Reaction score
Well I found a cleaning place here in town that cleaned it for $400, including removing and replacing from the truck. They took out more than a pound of soot from it! Haven't done a long drive yet to know if my regens will be back to a normal frequency, but the guy was pretty certain this was causing my problems. Fingers crossed!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Wow, 1lbs... That's alot!

That was cut weld and bake right?

pg_rider

Reaction score
No cutting needed on the 6.4. The cat and D P F are separate pieces bolted together. They use an “air knife” high pressure blowout followed by a bake. He actually baked it twice.

Latest posts

Members online