Is Rotella really bad on a 7.3?

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
oh, and again just like in every rotella thread... *** rotella.. it will not go in any of my vehicles or families vehicle's... thats how much i hate how it makes them run after a measly 1k miles....

live life full throttle
This x 1000000!!! My 01 wouldn't hardly idle/run with the chit! Put any other oil in it and ran smooth as glass!

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

10shots

Reaction score
Anyone using Dello 5/40 synthetic

After reading all this I think I'm changing oils , been using rotella 15/40
Might just start using dello 15/40

ju015dd

Reaction score
Been running le 8800 for 3k now and the truck loves it. Dido a filter change at 3k for peace of mind. Will be sending out a sample around 5k. Will go from there.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Rotella sucks...... ya because every company selling oil has there own blend go outside of Philly sometime and look at the 55 gallon drums being filled with the same oil and 10 different labels being slapped on them

Malyfarms

Reaction score
Used to run rottella in my 97 7.3 right after I bought the truck. Started great when I bought it. First oil change with rottella and it started hard all the time. Would also smoke white and grey on start ups. I checked glow plugs relay and everything tested perfect. I kept running that way thinking nothing of the oil. About a year later my cousin mentioned the rottella myth going around. So not having anything else to try I went to Deere plus 50 15/40 because that's what we had at the shop and a day later it was noticeably better. Ran mobile 1300 in it after that for the rest of the time I had the pickup and it started perfect just like it did when I bought it. Something in the high pressure oil system didn't like it. Never heard much else about problems with rottella though...

Countrycar

Reaction score
Here's an interesting read on Diesel oil's. It's to bad some of our favorite brands aren't shown to be tested here, such as Schaeffers, Cen-Pe-co and so on. I'd be interested to see where they stand in this test.

Diesel Oil Test Results - Diesel Oil Testing

I always found it a bit curious that some folks would use Diesel oil in High Performance gasoline engines, rather than the more obvious high quality gas engine oils. I assumed they figured that Diesel oils had higher zinc levels which most folks "mistakenly thought" was needed. Or maybe they figured if that oil works well for hard working Diesel engines, then it should work for their gas engines as well. But, other than some lab test reports showing zinc quantities, I haven’t seen much real data on any of that.

Is it possible that the Diesel oil fans somehow know more than the Oil Companies' Chemical Engineers and Chemists? But, based on only a casual overview, the value of using Diesel oil in gas engines seemed to be mostly just folklore that had been repeated over and over, without any real data to support that. So, since I’ve been performing a lot of motor oil testing this year, I thought is was time to do some extensive testing on Diesel oil, to see once and for all, just what the Diesel oil hype is all about.

So, finally, on with the Diesel Oil test data:

*** First I’d like to thank Mic (64 CDNSS on the Chevelle Forum) for being good enough to provide an unopened bottle of the “OLD” Rotella T Diesel oil, which many folks consider the Holy Grail of Diesel oils, and that it is the standard by which all other Diesel oils are judged. Without this oil’s numbers, we would have never known how the old and new Diesel oils compare.

*** The higher the psi result, the higher the “Load carrying capacity/Film strength”, and the better the oil is at preventing wear.

*** All oils were tested at 230* F (representative of actual running temperature).

*** Multiple tests were performed on each oil, and those results were averaged to arrive at each oil's final value shown below.

*** Test Result differences between oils of less than 10%, are not significant, and oils within that range can be considered approximately equivalent.

*** All oil bottles were thoroughly shaken before the samples were taken. This ensured that all the additive package components were distributed uniformly throughout all the oil in the bottle, and not settled to the bottom.

*** All the oils here are current new oils, recently purchased, except for the unopened OLD Rotella T mentioned above.

*** The onset of "Thermal Breakdown" is determined by the temperature at which the oil begins to smoke/vaporize. This indicates that the lighter components in the oil are beginning to boil off, which changes the oil's chemical composition for the worse. Always keep your oil below the point of thermal breakdown. If your oil does get too hot, then change it at your earliest convenience.

*** Lab Testing for component quantities shown below, was performed by ALS Tribology (formerly Staveley Labs) in Sparks, Nevada.

*** Diesel engine oils have C-type API certification rating designations. The “C” is in reference to “C”ompression ignition engines.
Gas engine oils have S-type API certification rating designations. The “S” is in reference to “S”park ignition engines.

Here are the 12 Diesel Oils that were tested. And they are ranked in the order of their “Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” values:

Photo
1. RED LINE, 15W40 Diesel Oil, synthetic, API CJ-4/CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CF/CH-4/CF-4/SM/SL/SH/EO-O
“Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” = 85,663 psi
zinc = 1615 ppm
phos = 1551 ppm
moly = 173 ppm
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge = 2999 ppm
TBN = 8.3
The onset of thermal breakdown is approximately 285*

Photo
2. ROYAL PURPLE, 15W40 Diesel Oil, synthetic, API CJ-4 /SM, CI-4 PLUS, CH-4, CI-4
“Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” = 76,997 psi
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge = TBD TBN = TBD
The onset of thermal breakdown is approximately 265*

Photo
3. MOBIL 1 TURBO DIESEL TRUCK, 5W40 synthetic, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4 and ACEA E7
“Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” = 74,312 psi
zinc = 1211 ppm
phos = 1168 ppm
moly = 2 ppm
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge = 1596 ppm
TBN = 9.3
The onset of thermal breakdown is approximately 270*

Photo
4. CHEVRON DELO 400LE, 15W40 conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, SM, SL, “Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” = 73,520 psi
zinc = 1519 ppm
phos = 1139 ppm
moly = 80 ppm
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge = 2205 ppm
TBN = 8.0

Red Line 21405 15W-40 Diesel Motor Oil - 1 Gallon Jug,(Pack of 4)

$199.80

(7)

Royal Purple 04154 API-Licensed SAE 15W-40 High Performance Syntheti…

$36.39$37.03

(135)
Mobil 1 44986 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart (…

$56.94$66.34

(51)

Delo 400 LE/SDE SAE 15W-40 Motor Oil - 1 Gallon Jug

$12.57$18.87

(44)

Photo
5. MOBIL DELVAC 1300 SUPER, 15W40 conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4/SM, SL , “Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” = 73,300 psi
zinc = 1297 ppm
phos = 944 ppm
moly = 46 ppm
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge = 1843 ppm
TBN = 9.8
The onset of thermal breakdown is approximately 250*

Photo
6. SHELL ROTELLA T, 15W40 conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4,CF/SM
“Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” = 72,022 psi
zinc = 1454 ppm
phos = 1062 ppm
moly = 0 ppm
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge = 2886 ppm
TBN = 9.1
NOTE: This new Rotella T has SIGNIFICANTLY MORE zinc than the OLD Rotella T, NOT LESS as is often claimed. And these two Rotella oils were Lab tested more than a month apart. So, their component quantities had no chance of being mixed up. This new Rotella’s wear protection capability is just slightly BETTER than the OLD Rotella. Therefore, the new Rotella is NOT the junk some have claimed.

7. “OLD” SHELL ROTELLA T, 15W40 conventional, API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4,CG-4,CF-4,CF,SL, SJ, SH
“Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” = 71,214 psi
zinc = 1171 ppm
phos = 1186 ppm
moly = 0 ppm
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge = 2715 ppm
TBN = 10.1
NOTE: There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING special about this OLD Rotella, as so many have always claimed. That was only folklore. It is simply ordinary Diesel oil.

Photo

8. VALVOLINE PREMIUM BLUE HEAVY DUTY DIESEL, 15W40 conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SM
“Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” = 70,869 psi
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge = TBD
TBN = TBD
The onset of thermal breakdown is approximately 255*

Photo
9. CHEVRON DELO 400LE, 5W40 synthetic, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, SL, SM,
“Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” = 69,631 psi
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
TBN = TBD
The onset of thermal breakdown is approximately 255*

Photo
10. SHELL ROTELLA T6, 5W40 synthetic, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4/SM
“Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” = 67,804 psi
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
TBN = TBD
The onset of thermal breakdown is approximately 260*

Mobil 1 112786 15W-40 Delvac 1300 Super Motor Oil - 1 Gallon

$12.47$17.99

(25)
Shell Rotella 550019913-3PK T Triple Protection 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diese…

$59.35

(55)
Delo 400 LE/SDE SAE 15W-40 Motor Oil - 1 Gallon Jug, (Pack of 3)

$65.00

(44)

Shell Rotella (550019921) T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic, Heavy Duty Diese…

$26.98$26.99

(670)

Photo
11. LUCAS 15W40 MAGNUM Diesel Oil, conventional, API CI-4,CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SL
“Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” = 66,476 psi
zinc = 1441 ppm
phos = 1234 ppm
moly = 76 ppm
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge = 3393 ppm
TBN = 11.7

Photo
12. CASTROL GTX DIESEL, 15W40 conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4/SN
“Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” = 66,323 psi
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
total detergent/dispersant/anti-deposit build-up/anti-sludge TBD
TBN = TBD

Shell Rotella 550019916 T Triple Protection 15W-40 Heavy Duty Engi…

$74.99$111.29

(55)
Royal Purple 05154 API-Licensed SAE 15W-40 High Performance Syntheti…

$137.87$181.55

(135)
Delo 400 LE/SDE SAE 15W-40 Motor Oil - 5 Gallon Pail

$82.61

(43)
Castrol 0845 GTX Diesel 15W-40 Motor Oil - 5 Gallon Pail

$93.96$94.44

(3)

The average value for Thermal Breakdown among the conventional Diesel oils here, was 255*, which is 17* LOWER than among the conventional gas engine oils I've tested.

The average value for Thermal Breakdown among the synthetic Diesel oils here, was 267*, which is 15* LOWER than among the synthetic gas engine oils I've tested.

And as you can see with these Diesel oils above, zinc levels alone do NOT establish their wear prevention ranking. The zinc levels are randomly up and down, relative to the ranking order. And as you will see in the complete 61 motor oil ranking list below, zinc levels clearly have NOTHING to do with an oil's protection capability or ranking order. Also, anyone who has followed my motor oil testing this year, probably noticed that these Diesel oil “Load Carrying Capacity/Film Strength” psi values are rather low, with an average value for the whole group of only 72,408 psi. This number would put an oil for gasoline engines, only in the MODEST PROTECTION category (60,000 to 75,000 psi). And individually, Red Line, the top ranked Diesel oil, ranks only 33rd out of 61 oils I’ve tested so far. The Red Line and Royal Purple, are the only Diesel oils to even make it into the GOOD PROTECTION category (75,000 to 90,000 psi) for use in gasoline engines. Overall that’s not very impressive to say the least, when you consider how wonderful many people “thought” Diesel oil was.

And considering that these oils are intended for use in heavy duty working Diesel engines as used in big rigs, bulldozers, locomotives, etc, etc, you probably expected to see some rather impressive psi numbers. But, if you were expecting that, you were obviously disappointed and maybe even shocked.

The oil testing equipment and the test procedure used here, were working perfectly fine, with no issue at all. In fact, in the middle of testing all these Diesel oils, I performed what you might call a calibration check, by re-testing once again, the number one ranked gas engine oil, the 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra, API SM, to see if its numbers would be reproduced within the normal variation range. And in this re-test, it produced numbers that were only a few percent different from its original posted value of 115,612 psi, which put that oil in the OUTSTANDING PROTECTION category (Over 90,000 psi). So, the test equipment and procedure are still right on the money. Therefore, these Diesel oil psi numbers are absolutely correct, and simply are what they are. So, what’s going on here?

Obviously since all these diesel oil numbers are so closely clustered together with only about a 20,000 psi range (compared to the gas engine oil numbers which have a much larger range of almost 60,000 psi), it is clear that the oil companies intentionally formulated them to be in this general range. Why would they do that? How can that be good enough for these hard working diesel engines?

Diesel engines of this type are made very rugged and very durable for the long haul. And in order to accomplish that, the engine’s components are designed and sized to keep the part loading at a modest level. And of course, these engines are known primarily for their impressive low end torque under boost, but NOT for their high rpm HP. All that being the case, these oils don’t need to have a higher capability. And this type of Diesel engine typically takes a LOT OF OIL. So, cost becomes a real factor when changing oil. This means that no oil company is going to make their products way better than needed, because that would make their products too expensive to be competitive in the marketplace.

And no one can complain that my test equipment and test procedure do not allow high zinc oils to perform at their highest level. Because here are some high zinc (over 1100 ppm) conventional, semi-synthetic, and full synthetic gasoline engine oils that I’ve tested previously. And they all had test results over 90,000 psi, which put them in the “OUTSTANDING PROTECTION” category for gasoline engines.

Picture

Diesel Motor Oil Rakings,Diesel Oil Reviews,Diesel Motor Oil Brands,Diesel Engine Oil Ranking,Top Ten Diesel Oils,Best Synthetic Diesel Oil,Best Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil,Best Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil,Diesel Motor Oil Comparison,Diesel Motor Oil,Diesel Engine Oil

This website is a part of reproduction of a wear test on oil on a forum created by 540 Rat
(His Nickname)
I've built this website with his tests and I give all the credit to this expert in oil testing.Thank you and have a great day .

http://www.motoroiltests.com/diesel-oil-testing.html#.WGv4tOQiw5s

Last edited:

MeTo

Reaction score
That is some interesting information; thanks for taking the time to share.

IMO, when a hydraulic system and a diesel engine share the same oil, compromises will be required unless a special lubricant is developed for that application? I.e. a hydraulic oil with a diesel additive package or vice versa. We are simply using the wrong oil and carrying on.

RyanV8

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here.
Just my two cents...

Running in 6.4, but have tried pretty much every oil. I am running Rotella T-6 and the truck is running markedly poorer (idles poorly, warm ups are slow, fuel mileage is down almost 2 mpg.)ALl symptoms started soon after change.

I was running Mobil 1 https://4wdlife.com/best-oil-for-powerstroke-6-0#Mobil-1-Turbo-Diesel-Oil. I couldn't afford the price hike and decided to switch to a more affordable synthetic. I am changing after only 1200 miles on next warm day.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here.
Just my two cents...

Running in 6.4, but have tried pretty much every oil. I am running Rotella T-6 and the truck is running markedly poorer (idles poorly, warm ups are slow, fuel mileage is down almost 2 mpg.)ALl symptoms started soon after change.

I was running Mobil 1 https://4wdlife.com/best-oil-for-powerstroke-6-0#Mobil-1-Turbo-Diesel-Oil. I couldn't afford the price hike and decided to switch to a more affordable synthetic. I am changing after only 1200 miles on next warm day.
I was about to have a coronary when i read the thread title.. lol.. then realized it was a few years old..

Rochitta oil can be that bad but normally its more noticeable in a heui engine. So it is in fact that bad or you lost compression or some other mechanical issue.. cheap/cheaper and diesel engines dont go well together...

live life full throttle

DjRewind

Reaction score
I second L.E. Monolec oil been in my 7.3l for years cause my boss is a SM for L.E. and ive tried many diff oils here and there and nothing has even held a candle to monolec oil !!

dmd

Reaction score
I smithed to LE8700 a year or so ago. Now if you have been using Belo that some of the
rings may have some carbon in the ring seats and it will take a little while to the LE to clean
out. During that time it can use oil.. Mine sure did.. went on a trip and it used almost a
gallon in 3000 miles. Did lots of towing during that time also. I just kept topping it
off. Now 10,000 later it doesnt use any oil at all. I used to have to add a quart at
3000 (5000 oil changes).. 7.3 runs quieter also. I was told that the ring seats get gummed up with the carbon and it takes time to clean them out and reseat the rings.

I use the 8700 with 5000 milk changes as recommended. I dont like running the oil until
it is worn out and wearing the motor too. Clean oil is cheap insurance against expensive
engine wear.

Reaction score
I’ve been rubbing LE in my rigs for a few years. When my 7.3 was running around with 300/200 you would have though it was stock with how smooth the idle was.

EPA

Reaction score
Yeah I have over 280k on one 7.3 truck with stock everything no signs of issues on t6 every 5k.
My other has an injector and maybe hpop issue at 270k... But I bought this one at 200k the all original one was picked up with 50k. So I won't blame the oil probably lack of oil changes haha.
But if proven members have good things to say about this le oil I might just try it out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.