Blue Smoke Blues...Thoughts?

dmd

Reaction score
There have been threads of the catch cans causing excessive pressure especially
on high milage motors, good find. Many have found that just air venting has the least
back pressure but smells. Several I know went back too stock.

Diabolic

Reaction score
I routed mine back to the intake using 3/4” hose with an inverted p-trap. I figure that the sucking from the turbo would vent better than just straight to the atmosphere. With this configuration vs the ProVent, the blowby gasses out of the oil fill hole are much less apparent. Cap will just sit on the hole upside down. With the ProVent hooked up, it would float over the hole like a puck on an air hockey table.

psduser1

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the provents, but my '00, at 300k, and the '01, at 250k, both have the same symptoms as the op.
One has swamps remain injectors, one has ff remains. Both have well over 100k on the injectors, and both have an aftermarket catchcan. One is from beans diesel, with a filtering element, and the other is homebuilt, with no filtering element. Both are plumbed back into the turbo intake.
Lots of hard miles will wear out even the mighty 7.3, lol.
I just don't let them idle much, and deal with the occasional smoke. Worn out is worn out.:shrug::pointlaugh:

Diabolic

Reaction score
I may experiment with a less restrictive catch can design. For now it’s staying this way and I’ll closely monitor oil consumption. I drove 400 miles today and the level on the dipstick is still tight on the top of the crosshatch.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Odds are that the the ccv is building pressure and it's pushing oil through the turbo seals. I had this exact issue when i tried a catch can on my dually. I put it right back to the stock location and ditched the catch can. Fyi

live life full throttle

Diabolic

Reaction score
I have relocated the nipple on the intake to the top instead of the stock location on the bottom. Instead of entering immediately above the the CC breather, I have it traveling up , making a loop, then back down into the top of the intake pipe. Good so far, and hopefully keeps put more oil than the stock setup.

Latest posts

Members online