Auxiliary Fuel Tank Options

Agjake11

Reaction score
Timer or light on the dash near the radio or somewhere in your face would remind you also.

Anyone used the L shape tanks with a over the rails tool box? cant get rid of the storage i have back there to get an RDS or Transferflow but getting super tired of filling up every other day.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Timer or light on the dash near the radio or somewhere in your face would remind you also.

Anyone used the L shape tanks with a over the rails tool box? cant get rid of the storage i have back there to get an RDS or Transferflow but getting super tired of filling up every other day.

Thats what I use. Just not in my 6.7 yet.

live life full throttle

Mpoage

Reaction score
I put a 50 gallon transfer flow replacement tank in my dad's truck and it doesn't lean to one side. It's only an extra 180 pounds of fuel.

RedRice589

Reaction score
I think it does over time. Hell my '08 350 leaned a little with a factory tank but i thinj the della that owned it before me was pretty good size.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score

That's what I did in my 250, had a 98 gallon tank under my weatherguard. I also had a GPI 15GPM pump in addition to the normal transfer line. I liked the pump more personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qcfarmer

Reaction score
When I put my RDS combo tank in my 450, I also hooked it up to gravity feed into stock tank. Like others have mentioned, this caused fuel to run out of the breather. To fix this, I just extended the hose that the breather was on to above the aux tank. No more leaks and tank is always full, no pump to worry about.
gumy7e8u.jpg

Last edited:

doo dah

Reaction score
Bringing this up from way back since I can't find an answer in searching. I know "legally" you can't use a xfer tank as an aux tank however, is it possible to use a xfer tank as an aux without having to cut a hole, weld a bung, etc...? I have easy access to transfer tanks that are cheaper than buying an auxiliary tank. I haven't physically looked at the tanks so I don't know if there are drain valves that could be used for feed lines. 39 gallons is good for daily but would be nice to have an extra 30-90 gallon capacity when towing the fiver a few thousand miles through questionable filling stations.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Bringing this up from way back since I can't find an answer in searching. I know "legally" you can't use a xfer tank as an aux tank however, is it possible to use a xfer tank as an aux without having to cut a hole, weld a bung, etc...? I have easy access to transfer tanks that are cheaper than buying an auxiliary tank. I haven't physically looked at the tanks so I don't know if there are drain valves that could be used for feed lines. 39 gallons is good for daily but would be nice to have an extra 30-90 gallon capacity when towing the fiver a few thousand miles through questionable filling stations.
run the line through the plastic inserts that are in the front of the bed. that is what i would do. no drilling the bed that way. then just drill and tap a fitting into the filler neck.

live life full throttle

sootie

Reaction score
run the line through the plastic inserts that are in the front of the bed. that is what i would do. no drilling the bed that way. then just drill and tap a fitting into the filler neck.

live life full throttle

Then put a 12v elevtric ball valve on said line and run off an upfitter and you can transfer fuel when driving down the road.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
RDS makes a Install kit.cost about $59.00.It is a easy install,into filler neck.I have done over 15 of these,very simple.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Then put a 12v elevtric ball valve on said line and run off an upfitter and you can transfer fuel when driving down the road.
yes, that would be a perfect setup.. or a small fuel pump like i have and done on a few..
RDS makes a Install kit.cost about $59.00.It is a easy install,into filler neck.I have done over 15 of these,very simple.
this kit works great. i have installed a few of them also..

chevys dont like them though. it will make the fuel level sensor read full all the time even when its empty. and make some guys run out of fuel because of it. lol

live life full throttle

brown1

Reaction score
just completed mine a couple months ago. had 75 gal tfi tank. welded threadolet in bottom and plumbed it into my fill neck using the rds kit and a refrigeration 12v solenoid wired from my upfitter switch. also just installed a fillneck that extends to the rear of my topper so i can fill from the tailgate. works flawlessly. my only issue is no level indicator for when im filling up bit i just run til tank is no longer filling then add 60-70 gals.

Jonnydime

Reaction score

live life full throttle
He's talking about having to cut a hole in a transfer tank not the truck bed. Find a decent bulkhead fitting and you will only have to drill a hole in the tank and not weld it.

brown1

Reaction score
He's talking about having to cut a hole in a transfer tank not the truck bed. Find a decent bulkhead fitting and you will only have to drill a hole in the tank and not weld it.

not to be a smartass but how would one get access to inside the tank to screw in a bulkhead fitting?

doo dah

Reaction score
I already have a hole in the bed and the filler neck as been spliced because previous owner had a xfer tank. My question is more about the tank itself. Is there a connection on both the aux and xfer tanks that you can connect your hose to? I thought xfer tanks only had fill and xfer holes on the top and nothing on the bottom of the tank and aux tanks had a fill hole up top and drain at bottom to fill the trucks primary tank. I plan on using a switched pump off an upfitter with a filter to move fuel from the bed to the primary tank.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
I already have a hole in the bed and the filler neck as been spliced because previous owner had a xfer tank. My question is more about the tank itself. Is there a connection on both the aux and xfer tanks that you can connect your hose to? I thought xfer tanks only had fill and xfer holes on the top and nothing on the bottom of the tank and aux tanks had a fill hole up top and drain at bottom to fill the trucks primary tank. I plan on using a switched pump off an upfitter with a filter to move fuel from the bed to the primary tank.
Both tanks usually have a drain,on the left side

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Forget it.

Broke down and bought a 50 gallon titan.

Got it on sale for $936 shipped to my door!!

Now it just needs to jump up there by itself somehow!! Should make going camping more enjoyable without having a 230 mile range to empty.

Latest posts

Members online