Auxiliary Fuel Tank Options

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Then put a 12v elevtric ball valve on said line and run off an upfitter and you can transfer fuel when driving down the road.

Yup. I'm surprised this type of install didn't come up sooner!

I got a 45 gallon RDS tank in the bed.

I installed a 12 volt solenoid valve in place of the manual ball valve that came with the RDS auxiliary install kit. Wires to one of the upfitter switches. The little light is enough reminder to keep you from filling to much while driving. When you turn the truck off, upfitter switches lose power & close the valve as well so you don't wake up to a puddle of diesel.

I also put a hand transfer pump on. Went with a hand pump because with a quick change, it's also a suction pump to fill the auxiliary tank.

RDS tanks come with extra connection points & a spot for a guage. Installed a simple guage to monitor the level. Thought about a digital one as the truck has a connection somewhere to monitor a second tank level but didn't feel like digging that deep yet.

Also put a hookup for my diesel generator. Screw the hose on quick & I can then run my generator for 500 hours if needed off a full auxiliary tank.

About 1,000 miles driving range at 75 mph with everything topped off.

DaCajun

Reaction score
On the F450 pickup truck that I am building, I removed all of the spare tire bracketry underneath the rear of the truck and installed a 40 gallon tank off of a Chassis cab truck. It came out pretty good if I do say so myself!!! I'll be carrying my spare inside the bed as I have a Pace Edwards Bedlocker power electric retractable cover for it.... Also I'm planning on building a custom 100 gallon or so tank to fit along with the Pace Edwards canister in the front of the bed...Later on I'll replace to midship tank with a Titan 67 gallon tank giving me just over 200 gallons total of fuel capacity!!!

powerbeast

Reaction score
I keep reading all these posts about using a 12v pump to fill the factory tank. You don’t need that. On my 2014 i gravity feed it from my 100 gal transfer tank. When i got the tank new i brought it to a welding shop and they put a 3/8 female bushing on the bottom for free but most places won’t charge more than $20 to do it. Then i put a manual ball valve and ran a hose straight to the filler neck. You can buy a install kit that is a 1 1/2 piece of pipe That you just cut the hose on the factory filler neck not the vent. It clamps in and it has a check valve on the top that the 3/8 hose from the transfer tank connects to. So you can just leave the ball valve open on the tank and let it constantly flow. The check valve on the filler neck will shut off when the tank is full and open as needed. I have used this set up since 2012 on different trucks. The installation kit is around $75 and i have never had a leak. I just fill up the tank every few weeks. My factory fuel gauge is always on full. I use the trip odometer to track gallons used and its pretty close. Just reset the trip every fill up or when the factory gauge moves off full.

tangoparson

Reaction score
I keep reading all these posts about using a 12v pump to fill the factory tank. You don’t need that. On my 2014 i gravity feed it from my 100 gal transfer tank. When i got the tank new i brought it to a welding shop and they put a 3/8 female bushing on the bottom for free but most places won’t charge more than $20 to do it. Then i put a manual ball valve and ran a hose straight to the filler neck. You can buy a install kit that is a 1 1/2 piece of pipe That you just cut the hose on the factory filler neck not the vent. It clamps in and it has a check valve on the top that the 3/8 hose from the transfer tank connects to. So you can just leave the ball valve open on the tank and let it constantly flow. The check valve on the filler neck will shut off when the tank is full and open as needed. I have used this set up since 2012 on different trucks. The installation kit is around $75 and i have never had a leak. I just fill up the tank every few weeks. My factory fuel gauge is always on full. I use the trip odometer to track gallons used and its pretty close. Just reset the trip every fill up or when the factory gauge moves off full.

Thanks. That is the setup I am going to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That is a kit i put on a couple trucks at work. I use the RDS kit.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.